Devil May Cry
So I wanted to play all the devil may cry games. I can get the first one to run, but it generally only runs at 60% of speed. My computers are a P-7801u gaming laptop with a core 2 duo CPU at 2.3~gigahertz and a 9800M GTS, and my desktop is a Phenom II x3 720, HD 4850. Same result on both (though I had to use SSE2 on teh AMD) The second runs at 85-90 something percent, and that's plenty to play it well.

I noticed on the compatibility page it said that for the first one it is "playable" (though I read the definitions and what I was getting probably falls under "you can get to the end credits") on .9.7

Does that mean that it runs better on a current alpha build than on .9.6?

If so, where can I find that source code and would you kindly point me to a guide to compile it. I've only compiled in linux and that basically entails typing 'make make install'.

Sponsored links

http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-11179.html

It was playable on the 0.9.6 and public betas too though. It would help if you show us your settings so we may try to help with your speed problem.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(03-03-2010, 04:35 AM)Seraku Wrote: [...]
I noticed on the compatibility page it said that for the first one it is "playable" (though I read the definitions and what I was getting probably falls under "you can get to the end credits") on .9.7

Does that mean that it runs better on a current alpha build than on .9.6?
[...]

No, not at all. It just means that the game can be played to the credits without any bugs that prevents you from reaching it. This is no statement about performance. And no, the current alpha doesn't run it better, it doesn't run it at all right now^^.

I own this game too and I'm also unable to reach a good speed in it. I have an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,66 Ghz, but this doesn't get me fullspeed either (with speed hacks a.s.o.). I think you need a really great CPU to run it right now, so don't make you much hope about a better speed.
Rejoice, they say. Color is back.
Well right now I'm using (on the laptop) GSdx SSSE3 Direct3d 10, blend bff, NLOOP grey check, Texture filtering check, and wait vsync checked.

SPU2-X Interpolation Cubic, Module XAudio2.

With these changes I have made (TBH I'm not sure what they were when it was around 60%.) It now runs between 85-94 and most of the time it stays toward the upperside. So it's working pretty well now. I just wish it looked better I guess. That interlacing setting is simply where it looks the best, but it isn't quite what I'd expect it to. (I had played kingdom hearts before and that looked pretty much as expected) And it looked the same on my desktop system too.

What speed hacks?

The rumble support on the xbox 360 controller is really cool though.

Edit: In bigger rooms it runs down to 80. Also, the SPU2-X works great in game, but when a boss starts talking it's just a garbled mess.
You do realize that full speed is 60 fps right? You probably get those ridiculous readings by having speed hacks like VU Cycle stealing to max, which cause false FPS readings.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Yes I do. What I'm talking about is the percentage of full that it shows not FPS...

And I just found the speed hacks and have not used any of them. Kingdom hearts also ran at normal speed.

Apparently I had the F4 stuff on at the time, so it's still that slow.
Oh, maybe add the magic % sigh so we know what you're talking about Tongue Yeah the SPU2-X problem is know and is present in DMC2 as well. The game is pretty intensive on the CPU so the speeds you get are pretty good. I'd suggest trying out the 1888 beta (are you using it already?) or trying to reduce clamping in Config->advanced to sqeeze out a couple more FPS (last suggestion COULD cause bugs)
[Image: newsig.jpg]
That's unfortunate about the sound because the zero one sounds okay for cutscenes but you can't even hear the gunshots in gameplay.

Having clamping none in both places seems to boost it from 60% in the areas that were like that to about 75% (though that's all of a minute of checking so far.) - strike that it does nothing. In fact when I turned it up it only hit the frame rate by like 5-10%

No I haven't tried out the 1888 beta yet. In fact what is the beta? I just googled for it and it doesn't seem to be either the .9.7 that's being worked on or the current .9.6

I also noticed that it literally uses only 2 cores (I read it somewhere on the site, that even the new one is designed to use 2 cores better than the current one does but no more than that) so the extra core on my desktop was simply doing nothing, though that means overclocking is always an option in an attempt to make it faster. I may try this as well.

Somebody needs to shoot whoever made program files in windows7 totally write protected. I have to run the installers then cut paste the folder to elsewhere in order to get it to work because obviously it wants to save settings savestates and memcards into that folder.

Edit: So I've picked similar settings on the beta and it's now around 70% alot but it still goes down to 60% in some areas.
Actually I've run across a cutscene in the game, and while not as smooth as the zero sound plugin it isn't so garbled it isn't recognizable for words either. Also since I've been playing it more in the beta it actually seems to be more like 60-95% depending on the area.
(03-04-2010, 01:24 AM)Bositman Wrote: [...]
Yeah the SPU2-X problem is know and is present in DMC2 as well.
[...]

Sorry Bositman, I don't really get what this SPU2-X problem is. Do you mean a nice slowdown when using it? Because I'm currently playing Devil May Cry 2 and I haven't encountered a problem regarding SPU2-X yet (as far as I can tell, it's been a while when I played it on the PS2^^).

@Seraku

Perhaps you should also try the latest plugins. They might help you with your sound problem and eventually give you a speedup.
Rejoice, they say. Color is back.