Devil May Cry: Instead of Subtitles, Screen's Distorted
Hey. I'm playing Devil May Cry 1. Subtitles are turned ON in the menu. As I'm not a native English speaker, which is why I literally don't like watching anything or playing anything without subtitles. I can't understand many of the words and accents.

My problem is that, (I'm guessing), where subtitles are meant to appear, instead, a portion of the screen is quite distorted, almost as if screen tearing has occured(but it's not screen tearing- it happens in a rectangular fashion and ONLY if Subtitles are turned ON.) It can be seen in the following link, here: http://i.imgur.com/XmkaUh1.jpg

Minor graphical glitches I have no problem with at all. But having no subtitles...it's a major hurdle in me understanding the story of what I hear is a great game. My graphics card is way beyond what's required- it's a AMD 7770, and my CPU is an i7, so...well, yeah. That should hopefully not be a problem.

If anyone could give me any help with this, I'd appreciate it so much.

Sponsored links

Hi Raddaya,

I had that same problem. Here's the solution: In-game, press the select button, and then go to the options menu. Wait there for like 10 seconds, and then return to the game. That fix was posted in one of the threads around here that I found via Googling and it worked for me.

It sounds crazy and unrelated, but it actually works - that weird little box disappears and you can now play the game properly. DMC looks pretty good at like 4x scaling.
(04-23-2013, 04:50 PM)vince21 Wrote: Hi Raddaya,

I had that same problem. Here's the solution: In-game, press the select button, and then go to the options menu. Wait there for like 10 seconds, and then return to the game. That fix was posted in one of the threads around here that I found via Googling and it worked for me.

It sounds crazy and unrelated, but it actually works - that weird little box disappears and you can now play the game properly. DMC looks pretty good at like 4x scaling.

Hey vince,

Thanks a lot, hopefully it will work, I'm afraid I can't test right now but I have two questions.
A) Will I need to do this every time I start playing?
and, a bit more importantly,
B) I can't do this for the opening cutscene, as there is no in-game and Select does nothing and Start simply skips, as far as I can understand. Will I be forced to look it up on youtube, or?

Thanks a whole lot, you might've made the game playable for me. ^^
Its been a while since I played DMC on PCSX2, but if I remember correctly, yes, you have to do that fix every time you start the game.

As for the opening cutscene, watching it on YouTube might be a good alternative. You might be able to get rid of the box during the cutscene by pressing F9 which toggles between Hardware and Software mode, but Hardware looks much better.

No problem. Smile For future reference, the PCSX2 wiki http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php?title=Main_Page will often have solutions to the various problems that can occur wth the games - just put the name of the game into the Search bar. Here's the section on DMC: http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php?title=Devil_May_Cry
(04-23-2013, 05:02 PM)vince21 Wrote: Its been a while since I played DMC on PCSX2, but if I remember correctly, yes, you have to do that fix every time you start the game.

As for the opening cutscene, watching it on YouTube might be a good alternative. You might be able to get rid of the box during the cutscene by pressing F9 which toggles between Hardware and Software mode, but Hardware looks much better.

No problem. Smile For future reference, the PCSX2 wiki http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php?title=Main_Page will often have solutions to the various problems that can occur wth the games - just put the name of the game into the Search bar. Here's the section on DMC: http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php?title=Devil_May_Cry

Hey, I'd like to say here a couple things I've figured out.

Firstly, it seems that subtitles merely accentuate this; it happens normally anyway, ALSO it would appear that Devil May Cry doesn't have any subtitles in cutscenes(No youtube videos have this.)

Furthermore, I have this problem in the normal game, and going to the menu, even for an entire minute, doesn't help. Is there any other way than playing in Software mode?

Also, may I question if you're supposed to be able to move the viewpoint via the right analog stick, or not? I'm playing with an actual PS3 controller via DS3Tool, so I just want to know if I accidentally did a mistake in the binding, or something.
Once you've entered the options menu and waited for a while, are you pressing select again to return straight to the game? I think that's the way to make it work. The fix should certainly be working for you because I played the whole thing without the box/stripe after following those instructions. I just had to do the fix again when I loaded the game.

As for the subtitles in cutscenes, I haven't played DMC in quite a while so I'm not sure if they have them or not - if all the YouTube videos are missing them then I'd guess they just don't have them.

As for the viewpoint, unfortunately, no, it's not moveable with the right analog stick. The controls might seem a bit clunky at first but you'll quickly get into the groove.
Try pushing F9 during gameplay when that happens. This will switch it to software mode for rendering. You will neeed a pretty fast CPU to get full speed out of this. As it uses your CPU to render everything instead of the GPU and it is the most accurate way to render the graphics in PCSX2. If for some reason software mode doesn't fix the problem then its most likely a problem with PCSX2. You could also try putting it on DX10/11 instead of DX9 in the graphics menu. That may or may not do anything. Well I'm all out of ideas.
I5 3570k 3.4ghz| 4GB R9 290| 8GB DDR3
You can use an old version of GSdx but I don't recommend that because it isn't quite stable for me. Otherwise, you can use software mode. The game is almost unplayable in hardware mode because the text doesn't display in many screens so we won't have clues what to do. Switching between HW/SW mode sucks as we need to open the options menu every time after that to fix the glitch.