Different Sensitivity % per binding
On the latest QT build, is it possible to set each binding of a PS2 button to a different sensitivity?

If I shift-click on the PS2 Square button, for example, and add a second binding to this button, I am unable to set the second binding of the button to a different sensitivity to the first binding.

Wouldn't that the primary function of having a second binding, to give it a different sensitivity?

Sponsored links

Nope. Use pressure modifier button for this
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(11-05-2023, 08:20 AM)jesalvein Wrote: Nope. Use pressure modifier button for this

The pressure modifier button affects the sensitivity for all the buttons.

What is the purpose of being able to add additional bindings to a single PS2 button if you can't change the sensitivity of each binding?
being able to use keyboard and a controller ?
being able to use different controllers on the same player ?

that said, PRs welcome. that project is still open source, and your coding skills are welcome
(11-05-2023, 09:11 AM)jesalvein Wrote: being able to use keyboard and a controller ?
being able to use different controllers on the same player ?

that said, PRs welcome. that project is still open source, and your coding skills are welcome

You're already able to use a keyboard and a controller, i.e. map some buttons to the gamepad and other buttons to the keyboard for same player's controls. But the usefulness of mapping the same PS2 button to more than one gamepad / keyboard binding would surely be give each binding a different sensitivity.

Like for example, Metal Gear Solid 2, the aiming of the gun and the shooting of the gun. If you don't have a gamepad with pressure sensitive face button support or an actual DS2/DS3, then you would need to map one binding of the X button to one sensitivity (to aim) and another binding of the X button to a different sensitivity (to shoot).

I don't have much experience in making coding changes myself to the PCSX2 QT builds, though I would very much like to learn. But perhaps it is better to open a Pull Request to see if the coders who developed the PAD functionality could assist me on this.

Earlier this year, we were not sure if there would ever be individual button sensitivities implemented into the QT builds, and to our delight they added it, and it is such a beautiful thing. But now that they laid the groundwork to have individual button sensitivities, it would only enhance this feature to be able to set sensitivity per binding as well.

Would you support me on making this adjustment? Do you agree that it would be an important addition to the already wonderful per button sensitivity feature?
(11-05-2023, 09:37 AM)planetps2 Wrote: You're already able to use a keyboard and a controller, i.e. map some buttons to the gamepad and other buttons to the keyboard for same player's controls. But the usefulness of mapping the same PS2 button to more than one gamepad / keyboard binding would surely be give each binding a different sensitivity.

Like for example, Metal Gear Solid 2, the aiming of the gun and the shooting of the gun. If you don't have a gamepad with pressure sensitive face button support or an actual DS2/DS3, then you would need to map one binding of the X button to one sensitivity (to aim) and another binding of the X button to a different sensitivity (to shoot).

I don't have much experience in making coding changes myself to the PCSX2 QT builds, though I would very much like to learn. But perhaps it is better to open a Pull Request to see if the coders who developed the PAD functionality could assist me on this.

Earlier this year, we were not sure if there would ever be individual button sensitivities implemented into the QT builds, and to our delight they added it, and it is such a beautiful thing. But now that they laid the groundwork to have individual button sensitivities, it would only enhance this feature to be able to set sensitivity per binding as well.

Would you support me on making this adjustment? Do you agree that it would be an important addition to the already wonderful per button sensitivity feature?

Agree->no
Support->no

But since your voice counts as much as mine anyways, you don't need my support
(11-05-2023, 09:44 AM)jesalvein Wrote: Agree->no
Support->no

But since your voice counts as much as mine anyways, you don't need my support

It would help morale to have your support. Perhaps I will create a pull request for this. There are a number of pull requests I've been meaning to create but this limitation is high on my priority list. With my Logitech F310 gamepad and the lack of pressure sensitive face buttons, I am searching for a solution to have, in NCAA 06 for example, one binding of the square button to do a QB slide and another binding of the square button (perhaps a keyboard alternate button) to do a QB dive. The sensitivity of these buttons not only affects the QB slide / dive, but also the power of passes. With the square button sensitivity at 60% to make the QB slide, this also has the effect of making passes to the square button receiver much slower than if the sensitivity was at 100%. But anything above 60% makes it impossible to do a QB slide with a Logitech F310. That's why I need a second binding at a different sensitivity, so I can press one button (gamepad button or keyboard button) to do a QB dive whilst passing at full power and another button (gamepad button or keyboard button) to do a QB slide whilst passing at lower power.

The pressure modifier button has its uses, but it doesn't address this specific problem, because using the pressure modifier button to try to address this situation causes additional button presses to need to be made, and it affects the sensitivity of all the other buttons. So as you can see, this is an important issue that would greatly enhance what surely is the primary function of having the ability to add multiple bindings to the same PS2 button to begin with.

I could try and dig through PAD.cpp and see if I could find where the individual button sensitivity coding is and try and perhaps branch it out to accommodate each binding having its own sensitivity, though this is not something I have much experience in as to how to actually craft that. I would appeal to the more experienced coders to assist me on this, however I would like to learn how to make this kind of a change on my own. Perhaps if I can work with more experienced coders I can learn how to make these kind of changes to the coding on my own if I can become better familiar with making changes to the coding that exists.

But in the meantime I am interested in generating discussion related to make this change. If you would advise me to create the Pull Request, perhaps that is the step I should take to get the ball rolling.
Quote:If you would advise me to create the Pull Request, perhaps that is the step I should take to get the ball rolling.
that's what i advise, yes