DirectX and OpenGL on PCSX2
This topic has probably been hashed over the years countless times... But I am looking into why something is the way it is, other than a stance on any issue. Firstly I do not wish to take a side, I really don't care how DirectX or OpenGL business model is and how they came to be. This topic was created to find out why DirectX on my machine always outperforms OpenGL.

It is my understanding that the PCSX2 team really doesn't have DX coders right now giving OpenGL the edge with development. Which would be the end all if it wasn't for performance. The gap seems to be widening in DX favor as well, in most cases I'm getting a 25 ~ 35% boost in performance. In some cases in can get as high as 45%. Xenosaga for instance during some mech battles reduces to a crawl at 20fps, the same battle locks at 60fps without a dip on DX. But in this case, OpenGL plays better with Xenosaga then its counterpart. This is not limited to PCSX2 -every- emulator I have DX outperforms by a very large margin...

Anyway, I have ordered a new machine and I am wondering if it will be the same old story.  Is it simply my card that likes DirectX? Or do the Devs and the community see the same thing? Below are my current and future specs.

Old-----------------------
Windows 8
16GB of RAM
i7-3770 (OC 4.1 GHz)
680 GTX
---------------------------
New----------------------
Windows 10
32GB of RAM
i7-7700K
1080 GTX
---------------------------

Sponsored links

In my experience OpenGL isn't much different in speed from DX, what are your settings when in OpenGL mode? And do you have Multicore Optimisation enabled in your Nvidia control panel (auto normally works too)
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

When comparing D3D11 and OpenGL with PCSX2, make sure when you're using OpenGL to set Blending Unit Accuracy to "None", disable Accurate Date if necessary, then enable HW hacks, and turn on "Disable Depth Emulation". That would make to comparison fairer.
(03-05-2017, 11:10 PM)refraction Wrote: In my experience OpenGL isn't much different in speed from DX, what are your settings when in OpenGL mode? And do you have Multicore Optimisation enabled in your Nvidia control panel (auto normally works too)

Yes, it is enabled. I have seen people post on various forums around the web saying it's not much difference. Guess that is why it is so frustrating because in my case there is...

EDIT: @Flatout: Yeah that does (not by much) increase performance but in this case it is still losing albeit by a smaller margin. But now I removed all of the advantages of using OpenGL.
(03-05-2017, 11:10 PM)refraction Wrote: In my experience OpenGL isn't much different in speed from DX, what are your settings when in OpenGL mode? And do you have Multicore Optimisation enabled in your Nvidia control panel (auto normally works too)

im gonna have to disagree with that im on a skylake i7 6700 at 4.00ghz the latest game i tested lately was the getaway i noticed much better speed in opengl than direct3d11 even though the game is CPU intensive and the cutscenes slowdown from time to time opengl was the fastest for me.
(03-05-2017, 11:17 PM)Mako Wrote: Yes, it is enabled. I have seen people post on various forums around the web saying it's not much difference. Guess that is why it is so frustrating because in my case there is...

EDIT: @Flatout: Yeah that does (not by much) increase performance but in this case it is still losing albeit by a smaller margin. But now I removed all of the advantages of using OpenGL.

mako you should give your processor a higher overclock things to note aswell the blending unit accuracy on high is more taxing on the CPU as well as the GPU so i would recommend you keep it off see if that helps.
(03-05-2017, 11:17 PM)Mako Wrote: EDIT: @Flatout: Yeah that does (not by much) increase performance but in this case it is still losing albeit by a smaller margin. But now I removed all of the advantages of using OpenGL.
Yes, that does remove a large part of the advantages of OpenGL. But if you would add those options to DX, it would also reduce the performance. You can't compare performance directly if one renderer has more advanced features enabled.
(03-05-2017, 11:34 PM)mrchrismania Wrote: im gonna have to disagree with that im on a skylake i7 6700 at 4.00ghz the latest game i tested lately was the getaway i noticed much better speed in opengl than direct3d11 even though the game is CPU intensive and the cutscenes slowdown from time to time opengl was the fastest for me.

Some games are faster due to bug fixes in OpenGL reduce the massive load being put on the GPU, same with the mipmapping changes recently with Ratchet & Clank, makes a huge difference to the speed!

(03-05-2017, 11:17 PM)Mako Wrote: EDIT: @Flatout: Yeah that does (not by much) increase performance but in this case it is still losing albeit by a smaller margin. But now I removed all of the advantages of using OpenGL.

Having Blending Accuracy set to "Basic" should fix most games in opengl, there are very few which require a higher setting and it doesn't affect performance much at all.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(03-05-2017, 11:34 PM)mrchrismania Wrote: im gonna have to disagree with that im on a skylake i7 6700 at 4.00ghz the latest game i tested lately was the getaway i noticed much better speed in opengl than direct3d11 even though the game is CPU intensive and the cutscenes slowdown from time to time opengl was the fastest for me.

Yeah, this is what's the MOST frustrating. Is it my setup? Is it fanboyism? Does my GPU or CPU somehow handle DX way better? Not you in particular but in my experience I have seen people just plain make stuff up like my friend who said the same thing. Went to his house loaded up the game and to no surprise, DX did outperform OpenGL. He has a mid-range AMD/ATI build.

You very well might get more for some strange reason, I have not seen it... I would very very much like to though.
(03-05-2017, 11:42 PM)Mako Wrote: Yeah, this is what's the MOST frustrating. Is it my setup? Is it fanboyism? Does my GPU or CPU somehow handle DX way better? Not you in particular but in my experience I have seen people just plain make stuff up like my friend who said the same thing. Went to his house loaded up the game and to no surprise, DX did outperform OpenGL. He has a mid-range AMD/ATI build.

You very well might get more for some strange reason, I have not seen it... I would very very much like to though.

i have tested so many pcsx2 builds and to my experience the processor clock speed plays the biggest role in the emulator since your processor is unlocked you should overclock it to 4.5ghz and see if you have difference in speed i guarantee you will and no it isnt your setup at all its just the emulator is a very demanding CPU intensive program to my experience i think anything over 4.0ghz improves the emulation speed but i could be wrong though there is alot of development to be done on it though.