Display Driver Stopped Responding and Recovered
I don't think this is a problem with PCSX2 or any of my games, but I'm not sure if it's hardware-related or having to do with Windows. I thought I would come here and ask for assistance since this has been a recurring problem across many games (which no one has had any similar problems with. e.g. Way of the Samurai 2, Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits, and Onimusha 4).

My Specs are:
CPU: i7 960 @ 3.2Ghz
GPU: GTX 580
GPU Drivers: Up-to-date
RAM: 16 GB

Desc: I'll start any game on DX11 Hardware Mode and within a few minutes the display driver will crash. There will be, moments before it crashes, graphical glitches (black squares, walls/floors different colors than originally, huge triangles spanning the screen of different colors). If I switch to DX9 HW Mode it works perfectly, and if I switch to any of the Software Modes (DX11 or DX9) they work fine as well. I've fiddled with the DX11 settings as much as I can and nothing works (switching from 2x Native down to Native).

I have played many games that were more graphically intensive than this and they didn't cause any display driver crash. Recently, I just played Max Payne 3 with no problems (the crashes happened before playing MP 3 as well). So, I don't know if it's hardware-related. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

As a sidenote, this a recent issue within the past few months. I've never had this happen to me before, and I do not understand why the issue has suddenly cropped up.

Sponsored links

Two possible causes I can think of:

Faulty drivers. (Newer doesn't always equal more stable)
Faulty chipset.

You could try uninstalling the video drivers and installing whatever you were running before the instability began. Or else wait for newer drivers.

If the problem lies in the chipset, possible fixes include underclocking the GPU or raising the voltage using Afterburner. It's not uncommon for Nvidia card to be wrongly clocked/voltaged, especially if they're a pre-OCed model. Please note that playing with video chipset clock and voltage is somewhat risky. Only attempt it if you know what you're doing, and are willing to accept the possibility of sacrificing the card.
since pcsx2 is flux with the perf modes the driver is mosdef shutting down switching between full force and half baked.

cold ass *****.
Hi,
I have had a similar issue with my display driver, although it was with a certain website, but it had the same display driver issue you had, except it was repeated over and over, and followed by the BSOD. I am hoping that my information will help you fix your computer, because believe me, this issue is ANNOYING!
Anyway, I believe that this issue is cause by some sort of issue with drivers from computers that have been converted to windows 7 from an older operation system, so... yeah, hope that's you.
All you really have to do is change you windows theme. All you have to do is go to control panel (make sure "categories" is selected) then go to personalization, and click "change the theme." DO NOT SELECT AN AERO THEME! I believe that the only theme that worked for me and let me keep the most of my settings is the "windows classic" theme.
I hope this works for you! Enjoy your gaming!
(06-13-2012, 02:37 AM)Cloud91690 Wrote: I don't think this is a problem with PCSX2 or any of my games, but I'm not sure if it's hardware-related or having to do with Windows. I thought I would come here and ask for assistance since this has been a recurring problem across many games (which no one has had any similar problems with. e.g. Way of the Samurai 2, Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits, and Onimusha 4).

My Specs are:
CPU: i7 960 @ 3.2Ghz
GPU: GTX 580
GPU Drivers: Up-to-date
RAM: 16 GB

Desc: I'll start any game on DX11 Hardware Mode and within a few minutes the display driver will crash. There will be, moments before it crashes, graphical glitches (black squares, walls/floors different colors than originally, huge triangles spanning the screen of different colors). If I switch to DX9 HW Mode it works perfectly, and if I switch to any of the Software Modes (DX11 or DX9) they work fine as well. I've fiddled with the DX11 settings as much as I can and nothing works (switching from 2x Native down to Native).

I have played many games that were more graphically intensive than this and they didn't cause any display driver crash. Recently, I just played Max Payne 3 with no problems (the crashes happened before playing MP 3 as well). So, I don't know if it's hardware-related. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

As a sidenote, this a recent issue within the past few months. I've never had this happen to me before, and I do not understand why the issue has suddenly cropped up.
*insert missing signature*
Alright, I rolled backed my video driver to the most stable one (November of 2011), and it still had graphical corruption + the previously mentioned display driver stopped responding issue. The card is pre-OC'ed, but I'm not sure I'm able enough to mess with the voltages.

I tried the classic theme as trey5169 suggested and it worked pretty nicely. No display driver crashes. It seemed to have a problem with suspending and resuming, and there would be little black squares or some graphical glitches upon resuming but they disappeared after a short while. It is much better, now. Thank you.
Make sure your drivers are up to date and, if you're overclocking, don't push it too far.

I know that if I overclock my 580M more than 800Mhz than it almost ensures that it'll crash during a game. This is because at this point the overclocking requires a voltage boost. But my voltage is already boosted over the maximum that EVGA Precision X will allow (meaning it's been hardware modified) and I dare not touch it physically. Voltage tuning is dangerous and I've already got more than the great majority of 580M users have. I have no room to complain.

Edit : Actually, in the newest version of precision it simply says "This device is not supported!" when attempting to open the voltage tuner. Might give me a hint to never screw around with mobile voltages. They lock the setting for a reason (people fry them). My voltage is 870MN and seems to be doing well enough for me.

Blah blah blah I'm getting off topic. Point is that it's either drivers, chipset, or overclocking that's likely screwing you.
set the 580 back to stock clocks or bump the voltage.
His card is factory-OCed. I'm guessing it is just a fraction too high. So underclocking it by 50-60 Mhz would probably restore stability. I'm hearing the new Nvidia cards have this problem, too.
If another theme helped, then you don't have to change themes you can just disable desktop composition and visual themes on the game you want to run
right click on the exe -> properties -> Compatibility - Check Disable visual themes and desktop composition. and that should have the same effect as a non aero theme.

then when you exit the game it will change back to normal.
other then that keep an eye on temps see if the card is overheating, maybe you need to fix the air flow in your case.

also remove any OC on other hardware like memory or cpu since if they get unstable they can cause the display driver to crash also, it might not even be video card related.
(06-13-2012, 09:03 AM)Ambient_Malice Wrote: His card is factory-OCed. I'm guessing it is just a fraction too high. So underclocking it by 50-60 Mhz would probably restore stability. I'm hearing the new Nvidia cards have this problem, too.

keplers have a similar, but not hte same issue.

580 chips were almost always on the cusp of instablity thanks to their power usage and vrm implementation.

(06-13-2012, 09:11 AM)hyakki Wrote: If another theme helped, then you don't have to change themes you can just disable desktop composition and visual themes on the game you want to run
right click on the exe -> properties -> Compatibility - Check Disable visual themes and desktop composition. and that should have the same effect as a non aero theme.

then when you exit the game it will change back to normal.
other then that keep an eye on temps see if the card is overheating, maybe you need to fix the air flow in your case.

also remove any OC on other hardware like memory or cpu since if they get unstable they can cause the display driver to crash also, it might not even be video card related.

True, i could trigger tdr's when my ghetto wiring on my xbox controller adapter (to usb) was shorting.