Do both Pal and NTSC MGS3 Subsistence versions run at 30fps in Pcsx2?
I know Pal is 50fps and NTSC is 60fps but MGS3 renders only at 30fps so is there any difference in emulation speed? I want to buy an used copy but I don't know which version to choose.

Sponsored links

how do you know how fast it runs if you don't have it yet? Blink
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(01-09-2017, 03:18 PM)Arthandas Wrote: I know Pal is 50fps and NTSC is 60fps but MGS3 renders only at 30fps so is there any difference in emulation speed? I want to buy an used copy but I don't know which version to choose.
Yes, PAL versions usually run at 25 FPS(half of the PAL 50 Hz refresh rate) and NTSC games run at 30 FPS(half of the NTSC 60 Hz refresh rate). So you'll want to get the NTSC version if you want the best emulation speed.
(01-09-2017, 03:52 PM)refraction Wrote: how do you know how fast it runs if you don't have it yet? Blink
I don't think it's a secret the PS2 version runs at 30fps and the HD re-release at 60fps...
(01-09-2017, 03:58 PM)FlatOut Wrote: Yes, PAL versions usually run at 25 FPS(half of the PAL 50 Hz refresh rate) and NTSC games run at 30 FPS(half of the NTSC 60 Hz refresh rate). So you'll want to get the NTSC version if you want the best emulation speed.
Thanks, American import it is!
(01-09-2017, 04:21 PM)Arthandas Wrote: I don't think it's a secret the PS2 version runs at 30fps and the HD re-release at 60fps...

That's only half the truth, though. It runs at up to 60 in cutscenes and some other spots with limited interactivity. Part of the reason why you're more likely to encounter emulation slowdown in cutscenes.

Edit: I should point out, that's probably mostly relevant when emulated, though. In practice on the PS2, it still locks to the nearest vsync target (i.e., 30 or 20 or 15) when the hardware can't keep up. With a bunch of bottlenecks removed in PCSX2, it will run higher.
Ok, since the mail will take around 20 days to reach me from America, in the meantime I decided to play around with an iso and set up the emulator. I didn't find any main MGS3 emulation threads (only some threads with particular issues) so I hope you don't mind I'll post my issue here instead of creating another thread.

Basically everything works fine except there's a very noticeable input lag. It's like half a second between pressing a button and Snake moving. It's not gamebreaking but somewhat annoying and I'd really like to fix that.

I get rock solid 100% emulation speed so it's not caused by the framerate. It's not related to the gamepad since the lag is also present on the keyboard. Vsync is off (actually it's greyed out). Here's my settings: http://i.imgur.com/UulEeYM.jpg (Pcsx2 v1.5.0-dev-1774).
Glad you're satisfied with the performance, if you need any further help, please come back when you aren't using a pirated copy of the game.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]