Does PCSX2 benefit at all from L3 caching?
Just wondering if there'd be any difference running this on...say, a Phenom X4 vs. an Athlon II X4 of equivalent processor speeds, since the only main difference there would be L3 caching.
AMD Phenom II 965BE @ 3.4Ghz
8 GB DDR3 1333 RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6750
Windows 7 64 bit

Sponsored links

try it and you'll know. maybe you could manage a L3-cache bench thread in the hardware forum. you could even compare it to intel but they usually faster anyway.

if that helps. Wink
(09-19-2011, 02:19 AM)xstyla Wrote: try it and you'll know. maybe you could manage a L3-cache bench thread in the hardware forum. you could even compare it to intel but they usually faster anyway.

if that helps. Wink

TBH, I'd love to, but I don't have the time or funds. Primarily, I'm asking because I'm planning a new PC build in the next few months to replace my laptop, and have been debating getting a phenom or saving a few bucks on an Athlon II at a slightly higher clock rate. (only .1 or .2 ghz).

I don't actually have the hardware currently to test and benchmark it.
8 GB DDR3 1333 RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6750
Windows 7 64 bit
there'll happen alot on the hardware market over that few month. "older" things will get cheaper. so in that time an intel i5 should reach a payable low limit when they drop the next gen of processors - hopefully. that's something to go for.

if you really have to safe the bucks (which is probably your most concern) just wait, target and shoot a pricy phenom II x4 on the net. it's still a lil better than the ahtlon II. Wink
(09-19-2011, 02:57 AM)xstyla Wrote: there'll happen alot on the hardware market over that few month. "older" things will get cheaper. so in that time an intel i5 should reach a payable low limit when they drop the next gen of processors - hopefully. that's something to go for.

if you really have to safe the bucks (which is probably your most concern) just wait, target and shoot a pricy phenom II x4 on the net. it's still a lil better than the ahtlon II. Wink

Yeah, I really need to save the bucks. I'm building two computers for primarily MMO gaming. One is built for my wife, which is my current spec (in profile, not sig). I'd like to build another one for myself soon. I'm going purely PC for current gen stuff, as I was dissappointed with PS3 and XB360.

Since I recently also had to register a vehicle, and my lease is up at the end of November and I plan to move if possible, I'm basically scrimping every penny. That said, I don't want to wait until February for a new rig, since the HDD in my laptop died. the thing's on it's last legs and really can't keep up with modern games anyway.

My new rig will likely have an HD6850, as it's gonna be a console replacement and I'd like to play the latest and greatest, which are generally more GPU than CPU intensive, and that's pretty much the best card in my price range. I might be able to save a few bucks if I'm willing to do a Nvidia 550ti instead and can get it on sale or free shipping. Difference shouldn't be major since I'm only planning to go 1600x900 or 1680x1050 at most. However, to do this I gotta skimp a bit on the processor, as my budget is very tight (we're talking, getting the PC built and the monitor in the ~$500 range tight), so yeah, it's a bit difficult and I'm keeping an eye on newegg and tigerdirect for sales and "Shell Shocker" deals to help with the budget.
8 GB DDR3 1333 RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6750
Windows 7 64 bit
(09-19-2011, 02:57 AM)xstyla Wrote: there'll happen alot on the hardware market over that few month. "older" things will get cheaper. so in that time an intel i5 should reach a payable low limit when they drop the next gen of processors - hopefully. that's something to go for.

Not here my friend, in some countrys they dont care about the intel drop in prieces, they still try to ripoff u.
even core i3 would perform on pcsx2 better than phenom II x6, fact.
don't get a phenom. get an i3 or i5 if possible.
intel's cpus have been dominating in pcsx2 performance compared to amd cpus...
Check out my blog: Trashcan of Code
(09-19-2011, 07:53 AM)naoan Wrote: even core i3 would perform on pcsx2 better than phenom II x6, fact.

(09-19-2011, 08:17 AM)cottonvibes Wrote: don't get a phenom. get an i3 or i5 if possible.
intel's cpus have been dominating in pcsx2 performance compared to amd cpus...

While I'm inclined to agree with you both, I've no interest in getting a dual-core CPU. I guess I should have been more clear, but while this rig will be used for gaming and for PCSX, it will also be general use, and at some point include image editing as well as art via tablet.

I really feel that going with a dual core would be very limiting, particularly for threaded applications whereas with an AM3+ Mobo I can set myself up with a good processor that I can overclock reasonably, and still future-proof myself.

Plus, maybe it's a sentimental issue in some sense, but I just don't like intel, even if they are better as you scale up. Remember, I still have to build this on a budget, and if I need to spend more on the CPU (and I will if I go with Intel), I'd have to scale back on the video card, which, for gaming beyond PCSX2, would really be pointless.
8 GB DDR3 1333 RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6750
Windows 7 64 bit
A Phenom is better than an Athlon. And you'll want every bit of help you can get with PCSX2, especially if you're going with an AMD.

Looks like the cheapest Athlon II X4 is $100 (on Newegg).
Why not just grab the Phenom II X4 955 BE? Only $5 more with the promo right now.