Does PCSX2 modify BIOS files?
The thread subject sounds funny to most of the folks here, but I think PCSX2 does modify BIOS files.

After dumping the BIOS and use it with PCSX2 for the first time, the BIOS setup asked me to select the language, timezone, and some other settings before going to the main menu. When I updated PCSX2, I copied the BIOS over the new PCSX2 folder. The BIOS setup went straight to the menu. Note that I did not move the memory card files, so PCSX2 could not detect my old system settings and bypass the language selection screen.

The only way to get the language selection screen is using a brand new dumped BIOS. I still have my SCPH-90006 PS2 around, so I can redump whenever I want to. But currently I'm using SCPH-90001 BIOS. The console broke so I cannot redump. Is there any way to get the BIOS back to its original state?

Additional questions regarding the BIOS: As I saw on the some torrent sites, the BIOS of old PS2 always consists of a single .bin file (4 MiB IIRC). But both my 90001 and 90006 BIOS consists of 7 files: .mec, .rom0, .rom1, .diff, .inf, and two .nvm with a total size of more than 12 MiB. I know it is normal but why is the difference? And is there any way to bundle them into a single .bin file?

Sponsored links

(09-22-2012, 10:42 AM)Livy Wrote: After dumping the BIOS and use it with PCSX2 for the first time, the BIOS setup asked me to select the language, timezone, and some other settings before going to the main menu. When I updated PCSX2, I copied the BIOS over the new PCSX2 folder. The BIOS setup went straight to the menu. Note that I did not move the memory card files, so PCSX2 could not detect my old system settings and bypass the language selection screen.

No,pcsx2 don't change the bios in any way.
When you start pcsx2 with new bios,this screen will appear(even if you have settings in the memory card).
The files .nvm and .mec are not part of the bios,pcsx2 create them and the settings are saved in the .nvm file

(09-22-2012, 10:42 AM)Livy Wrote: Additional questions regarding the BIOS: As I saw on the some torrent sites, the BIOS of old PS2 always consists of a single .bin file (4 MiB IIRC).
That's because the person uploaded the bios added only the bios,without the extra files(which are actually not needed to use pcsx2)
.ROM1 - 512kb
.ROM2 - 512kb
.BIN - 4mb
.EROM - 3MB

(09-22-2012, 10:42 AM)Livy Wrote: But both my 90001 and 90006 BIOS consists of 7 files: .mec, .rom0, .rom1, .diff, .inf, and two .nvm with a total size of more than 12 MiB. I know it is normal but why is the difference? And is there any way to bundle them into a single .bin file?
This bios is dumped with the new dumper which get more info from the PS2(this bios with that extra info was intended to be used for some feature that was supposed to be added to pcsx2 but in the end it wasn't added...I think it was for net play or something like that)
you cant have them all in a single bin, they are different memory addresses all dumped, so they have to be separate depending on their address
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]