Does anyone here use emulation to archive their games to save room space?
I know it won't be soon, but I look forward to the day that PS2 emulation is as good as it is with epsxe. I use emulation as a means to archive my collection. NullDC isn't perfect but it gives me reason to start boxing up my 50+ DC games so they aren't in the way and easily accesible. PSX emulation isn't pefect, its like 98% perfect, but again I love my games and I like to preserve them in the best quality I can. So I box the system up, and put it in the closet, and use epsxe to play them. Yes I own ALL my games. I have a ton of PS2 games (140+). I reallly need more room (ps3, x360, wii games) by putting away my older games and look forward to this emulator evolving into something better than an actual PS2, one day playing Shadow of Colossuss (Sp?) in a 1900x1200 resolution with 4x AA....I know I'm dreaming.

Sponsored links

I would just suggest using the memory card option than saving state...that way you know they will have a lot more compatibility and save on diskspace.

I don't know for sure but i have a good guess that the memory cards are not going to change from now till when they are done pcsx2
Death Notebook - (Killer Notebooks)
X9000 OC Dual 3.0 : GeForce 8800M GTX : 4 GB OCZ Ram
(01-12-2009, 02:47 AM)Mur Wrote: I would just suggest using the memory card option than saving state...that way you know they will have a lot more compatibility and save on diskspace.

I don't know for sure but i have a good guess that the memory cards are not going to change from now till when they are done pcsx2

ummmm not what I meant..... It wasn't a tech or can I run it type of question. The question was basically do ppl put away their old games to save room in their house cause they can play it on their computer. I love my games and could not part with them, but the shelves they are on a basically bending from the weight of my games. Ive started running games off my computer be it nulldc or epsxe, or my psp, hopefully pcsx2 one day. My games are my hobby which I love, but can be cluttter-some, and can mess up the flow of a room. I wanted the title of this to say more but couldn't get it to fit. So, do any of you run emulation so u can put away your games like using itunes or whatever for music?
Haha, I think he read
Quote:Does anyone here use emulation to archive their games to save...
as
Quote:Does anyone here use emulation to archive their game saves

Anyway, of course they do. When you can put up your messy tower of game cartridges and still play them, why not? It's definitely one of the big reasons people like to emulate. That's no "guarantee" that PS2 emulation will ever reach that point of course. (Even in it's completed stage, ps1 emulation has more complex bugs with 'perfect' games than SNES emu does with certain 'buggy' ones. Imagine the added dimensions of challenge the pcsx2 team must deal with.) Since you're talking about emulation and archiving in general though,, yes. It's an awesome possibility for older emulated systems. (Or if all your games happen to be ones that pcsx2 runs very well. Biggrin )
I back up the discs to images for safekeeping, but I don't really use the emulator as my primary means of playing them. That's what my PS3 is for :3

All the originals are kept in acid-free plastic sleeves in my giant binder of stuff, which is kept in a fire safe. I bust them out every once in a while when I can't find my burned copy, but for the most part they've become digital heirlooms.

It's not because the emulator isn't good enough, I just like the physical comfort of a disc. In the same vein, I still greatly enjoy pulling out the NES and playing Duck Hunt/Snow Bros/Battletoads whenever I can. There's something about the nostalgia that an emulator can't match.
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi
Personally, i don't get that much nostalgia in blowing my cartridge in order for it to work. Tongue2
Death Notebook - (Killer Notebooks)
X9000 OC Dual 3.0 : GeForce 8800M GTX : 4 GB OCZ Ram
(01-12-2009, 07:57 PM)Mur Wrote: Personally, i don't get that much nostalgia in blowing my cartridge in order for it to work. Tongue2

It's the memories I guess lol. It becomes an adventure to figure out what combination of electronics are needed to get the RF video signal into my projector.

Plus I modded my NES with new spring-loaded cartridge contacts about two years ago. Nearly three months of work to replace 20 seconds of blowing.
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi
Haha.
I wish i could say "I have too many games, and i can't find room to keep them stored"
Add on to your house?
xD