Does really PCSX2 can't support core 2 quad ?
Does pcsx2 can't support core 2 quad ? based on this thread "http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-2331.html" it stated support C2Q.
The problem is .. in several discussion thread in this forum many of the forum member written not supported C2Q .. is this true ?

(note: I would like to own a new PC soon. I need certain confirmation before I go for C2Q E6600 2.4 Ghz 8 MB cache.)

Sponsored links

(12-27-2008, 05:33 AM)nelsonz Wrote: Does pcsx2 can't support core 2 quad ? based on this thread "http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-2331.html" it stated support C2Q.
The problem is .. in several discussion thread in this forum many of the forum member written not supported C2Q .. is this true ?

(note: I would like to own a new PC soon. I need certain confirmation before I go for C2Q E6600 2.4 Ghz 8 MB cache.)

PCSX2 can run on Quads, it only just uses 2 (two) of it's cores out of the four.
Pcsx2 runs fine on C2Qs and the new i7 -- It's just not going to be any faster than a C2D of the same ghz rating. This is something we of course would love to improve on in the future, but emulating the PS2 is very complicated and splitting the emulation tasks across many CPUs while still keeping everything in sync is very difficult.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
Wouldn't implement it require an almost complete rewritte of the code?
Thank .. Then I know what I should get.
(12-27-2008, 11:40 AM)nelsonz Wrote: Thank .. Then I know what I should get.

Well, I would even say to get a Quad.
You can clock a Quad about the same as a Core2Duo now-a-days.
here I compared Quad with Dual a little:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-2602.html

As you can see a Quad has no advantage for PCSX2 at all. And i doubt very much that you can overclock a Quad at 4.4Ghz with air cooling besides the new i7 is pretty expensive. As in my thread above I highly recommend to get a E8000 with E0 stepping and overclock it to 4Ghz and more. PCSX2 really needs clock speeds and if you don't have any mutli-threaded application then go for a Dualcore. I don't regret my decision at all Smile. On contrary finally I will be able to play Xenosaga at full speed Laugh
Quad might mean little to no difference unless multitasking or sharing the computer with more people, or using software rendering with gsdx (the extra threads are more than welcome then), since pcsx2 itself only uses 2 threads at most.

However, the new i7 packs more performance/clock, not just more threads per core. That will probably be worth it at some point. They're just too damn expensive now, but maybe next summer or later for me at the very least Smile. AMD will also be releasing their Phenom 2 (Shangai) this Q1 2009, which we cannot predict how well they'll perform against i7, but will surely help prices go down.
I will get the i7 with the next die-shrink so overclocking will be better and I can switch to a 4Ghz i7 Laugh. I read that already now some can get 3.8-4.0Ghz with air cooling but with rather high temperatures and now is winter so I don't wanna know what they do in summer.
I go for C2Q because I prefer my Desktop use in long run about 4-5 year then can decide to change new. As addition, I also a student study in "3D animation and design". I need C2Q with Windows Vista x64 to improve the rendering efficient for 3d animation software. Thus at the same time ... I would like to enjoy PCSX2 (I didn't have PS2 at home) for Bios I dump from my friend PS2. Happy
HappyTongueCSX2:Happy