Dolby pro logic?
So I've a question. I know the option is there in games, and I know that it's a sound format basically, but I don't know much about it other than that. Now my sound card can decode Dolby sound. So should I be using it?
Intel Core i7-8700k @5ghz
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 @3600mhz
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64

Sponsored links

Basically Dolby Pro logic is a technology to upmix stereo signal to 4 up to a max of 7.1 channels currently at home use. The encoding might be useful to use with digital equipment linked via s/pdif. The inverse is true for upmixing whatever stereo signal in, let's say 5.1 but most sound cards will have some other upmixing technology to avoid licensing fees, common alternative methods being CMMS 3D and/or spacial stereo.

So, if you have a source encoded in dolby pro logic and your sound card has the option, you might want to use it. On the other hand, if having just a stereo or 2.1 it will give the sensation of surround sound.

A sound card like the Asus Xonar DGX has an integrated headphone amplifier able to create that spacial sensation in common stereo headphones using the Dolby technology.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Seems I can only do it if my pc is hooked to my speakers with an optical cable. And mine are the analog green, orange, and black :-\ bummer. Unless if I switch it it would normally turn off sound on a ps2. Than it actually works
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64
(09-12-2013, 05:38 AM)hellbringer616 Wrote: Seems I can only do it if my pc is hooked to my speakers with an optical cable. And mine are the analog green, orange, and black :-\ bummer. Unless if I switch it it would normally turn off sound on a ps2. Than it actually works

Nah, supposing those are P3 connectors and not RCA that would mean you have a 5.1 home theater and is almost sure your sound card has way to redirect stereo source to surround.

If you can tell us the motherboard brand and model we might help about the specifics searching the web of it's specifications.

Anyway you might want to install ffdshow and codec packs which can give you a large range of possibilities in mixing and filtering video and audio. Besides it will provide codecs to almost all currently used formats, like flac, ogg so you can play them natively at, let's say, Windows Media Player.

PS: One easy way to install ffdshow and codecs + the Windows Media Player Classics (which some might find less "intrusive" than the WMP MS is using nowadays) you may want to search, download and instal the application named K-Lite, preferably from sites like Major Geeks. Just be careful refusing it to install the AVG search tool when installing the main application, unless you want it, of course. K-lite will install everything at once with versions for 32 and 64 bits codecs and more integrated codecs control panel.

At first you may find ffdshow complicate to use and this is because the sheer amount of control it provides, but remember you can reset to default values at any time with a button click, besides you can save special profiles to be activated when chosen conditions are met. It's a powerful tool and alone may be a great tool (or toy) for experimenting with video and sound.
(09-12-2013, 01:51 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: Nah, supposing those are P3 connectors and not RCA that would mean you have a 5.1 home theater and is almost sure your sound card has way to redirect stereo source to surround.

If you can tell us the motherboard brand and model we might help about the specifics searching the web of it's specifications.

Anyway you might want to install ffdshow and codec packs which can give you a large range of possibilities in mixing and filtering video and audio. Besides it will provide codecs to almost all currently used formats, like flac, ogg so you can play them natively at, let's say, Windows Media Player.

PS: One easy way to install ffdshow and codecs + the Windows Media Player Classics (which some might find less "intrusive" than the WMP MS is using nowadays) you may want to search, download and instal the application named K-Lite, preferably from sites like Major Geeks. Just be careful refusing it to install the AVG search tool when installing the main application, unless you want it, of course. K-lite will install everything at once with versions for 32 and 64 bits codecs and more integrated codecs control panel.

At first you may find ffdshow complicate to use and this is because the sheer amount of control it provides, but remember you can reset to default values at any time with a button click, besides you can save special profiles to be activated when chosen conditions are met. It's a powerful tool and alone may be a great tool (or toy) for experimenting with video and sound.

It's RCA from each speaker (except right channel which appears to be a DB9) to the sub/amp, than from there it's 3.5mm stereo jacks, three of them, that plug into my sound card.

I already use ffdshow-tryouts, and MPC-HC. and have it set up to scale none HD into.. i guess a pseudo HD haha.

As for motherboard, Probably doesn't mater since i have a Creative Sound Blaster Titanium Fatal1ty Championship (i always feel it makes me seem like a ***** when i say that) soundcard. But my mobo is an Asus P9Z77-V
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64
(09-12-2013, 03:21 PM)hellbringer616 Wrote: It's RCA from each speaker (except right channel which appears to be a DB9) to the sub/amp, than from there it's 3.5mm stereo jacks, three of them, that plug into my sound card.

I already use ffdshow-tryouts, and MPC-HC. and have it set up to scale none HD into.. i guess a pseudo HD haha.

As for motherboard, Probably doesn't mater since i have a Creative Sound Blaster Titanium Fatal1ty Championship (i always feel it makes me seem like a ***** when i say that) soundcard. But my mobo is an Asus P9Z77-V

Well, since what is plugged in your sound card are tree 3.5 mm stereo jacks it is in a 5.1 configuration. Using CMMS 3D should be OK and enough. If your DVD or game has Dolby surround, just select it and the output will be the expected. In this case you could even disable the CMMS 3D but I believe it's not necessary.

Till recently I used a X-Fi Titanium (although not the Fatality) and it worked fine this way. You may want to disable all functions at ffdshow except maybe the resampling, test it and decide if it sounds better than the 16 bits 44.4 KHz which sounds flat, you may want to do it at the sound card as well, at the Windows "playback devices" or directly at the sound card software.

At this point seems you didn't have problems actually and was only curious about how Dolby Pro Logic works. So that's OK keeping things as already are also.