Dolphin emulator is faster than PCSX2 why?????
hi every one !
i upgraded my system to :
ram : 4gb Kingmax !
vga : Geforce Nvidia gt520 1gb !
cpu : intel Dual Core E5400
i run gamecube version of Mortal kombat Armageddon . Deception . Deadly Alliance by Dolphin emuator and speed is 95 %
but PS2 version of those games Emulatored by PCSX2 have 30% speed !!!
why??
i play Assasin's Creed 3 and Crysis 2 and NFS the run/most wanted and ... full speed !

Sponsored links

dolphin and pcsx2 are two very seperate things..

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Can-this-...#pid260834

Wii:
Central Processing Unit (CPU)
IBM Broadway 729MHz

Graphics Processing Unit (GPU)
ATI Hollywood 243MHz

PS2:
CPU: 64-bit "Emotion Engine" clocked at 294.912 MHz (299 MHz on newer versions), 10.5 million transistors

Graphics processing unit: "Graphics Synthesizer" clocked at 147.456 MHz
Pixel pipelines: 16
Video output resolution: variable from 256×224 to 1920×1080 pixels
4 MB Embedded DRAM video memory bandwidth at 48 gigabytes per second (main system 32 MB can be dedicated into VRAM for off-screen materials)
Texture buffer bandwidth: 9.6 GB/s
Frame buffer bandwidth: 38.4 GB/s
DRAM Bus width: 2560-bit (composed of three independent buses: 1024-bit write, 1024-bit read, 512-bit read/write)
Pixel configuration: RGB: Alpha:Z Buffer (24:8, 15:1 for RGB, 16, 24, or 32-bit Z buffer)
Dedicated connection to: Main CPU and VU1
Overall pixel fillrate: 16×147 = 2.352 Gpixel/s (rounded to 2.4 Gpixel/s)
Pixel fillrate: with no texture, flat shaded 2.4 (75,000,000 32pixel raster triangles)
Pixel fillrate: with 1 full texture (Diffuse Map), Gouraud shaded 1.2 (37,750,000 32-bit pixel raster triangles)
Pixel fillrate: with 2 full textures (Diffuse map + specular or alpha or other), Gouraud shaded 0.6 (18,750,000 32-bit pixel raster triangles)
GS effects: AAx2 (poly sorting required),[53] Bilinear, Trilinear, Multi-pass, Palletizing (4-bit = 6:1 ratio, 8-bit = 3:1)
Multi-pass rendering ability
Four passes = 300 Mpixel/s (300 Mpixels/s divided by 32 pixels = 9,375,000 triangles/s lost every four passes)

Just to put things in perspective
Whatever CPU you had before, the E5400 is definitely not an ideal upgrade at the time being.

Your question has been asked and answered numerous times. It is because of the differences between console hardware architecture, programmers, and how the game uses the underlying hardware (and maybe more). A program running on the Wii and the same running on the PS2 are two different programs, although they look the same. Finally, comparing native PC games with emulated games is nonsense -- that was explained a countless time and the developers has a thread explaining this.

I don't know what language you translated the emulator to. But you need some basic knowledge about computer hardware, software, and the emulator itself in order to translate it correctly. Sorry to say that, but I have seen too many people who try to translate something they don't know of and their works.
(12-20-2012, 09:55 PM)Amir.Coder Wrote: hi every one !
i upgraded my system to :
ram : 4gb Kingmax !
vga : Geforce Nvidia gt520 1gb !
cpu : intel Dual Core E5400
i run gamecube version of Mortal kombat Armageddon . Deception . Deadly Alliance by Dolphin emuator and speed is 95 %
but PS2 version of those games Emulatored by PCSX2 have 30% speed !!!
why??
i play Assasin's Creed 3 and Crysis 2 and NFS the run/most wanted and ... full speed !

first off like others said they are 2 different beasts.

second ly how are you running crysis 2 full speed on a gt520...
CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.5ghz http://valid.canardpc.com/2607863
MOBO: Asrock Z75 Pro 3
RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaw X 1333mhz DDR3 ram.
GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 @ 1200/1450 clocks http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/kasmr/

[Image: 57b2818f7d1b5841.png]
WoW Wii outperforms ps2 in Mhz ... i knew what ps2 hw specs were but i didn't knew Wii had such an high clock frequency !!

Anyway, ami try.. an Wii game out..and check if the same holds truth running Wii games !!

Curious to know what overal fps you have in Wii games on your lightning fast system Cool

cherrieppoppers,
HOBO ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe
CPU AMD PII x4 [email protected] stable
COOLER Antec HO2 920 (Water/air)
RAM 4x2 giggles Corsair Vengeance DDR2 800mhz
GPU VTX HD6870 / 1 Gigabyte GDDR5
OS Windows 7 x64 (Ultimate) / SP1
Well.. I tried some metroid game in dolphin and it was slow as *****
It's not only how high the clock is but mainly how "alien" is the emulated machine hardware to the emulating one.

Wii is composed basically by a power PC based CPU and an ATI GPU.

PS2 is a symphony of EE (Emotion Engine) CPU, two Vector unities and the GS plus a graphic interface in the main processing. All these making hard to synchronize and not to count the sheer number of internal registers just the EE, VU0 and VU1 have, a lot more than a x86 based CPU dreams to have someday.

Edit: the sheer amount of registers by itself makes translating PS2 code for x86 architecture a dance of saving register values in the memory and later retrieving them from there for processing... this alone is very time consuming.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(12-26-2012, 06:40 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: It's not only how high the clock is but mainly how "alien" is the emulated machine hardware to the emulating one.

Wii is composed basically by a power PC based CPU and an ATI GPU.

PS2 is a symphony of EE (Emotion Engine) CPU, two Vector unities and the GS plus a graphic interface in the main processing. All these making hard to synchronize and not to count the sheer number of internal registers just the EE, VU0 and VU1 have, a lot more than a x86 based CPU dreams to have someday.

Edit: the sheer amount of registers by itself makes translating PS2 code for x86 architecture a dance of saving register values in the memory and later retrieving them from there for processing... this alone is very time consuming.

that and the Wii is basically a souped up Gamecube... so i think they had less work to deal with overall.
CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.5ghz http://valid.canardpc.com/2607863
MOBO: Asrock Z75 Pro 3
RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaw X 1333mhz DDR3 ram.
GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 @ 1200/1450 clocks http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/kasmr/

[Image: 57b2818f7d1b5841.png]
(12-26-2012, 07:31 PM)Teufel9000 Wrote: that and the Wii is basically a souped up Gamecube... so i think they had less work to deal with overall.

Yes, and Wii Broadway is a superscalar CPU, what means it is natively meant to multithread while PS2 is strongly pipelined. The important point is it has very few registers, allowing an almost direct assign to available x86 ones at execution time.

In suma, Wii and PS2 are totally different "beasts", comparison between emulators for them is non trivial.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Well i think this is a contradiction to some people but here it goes
This are the specs of Ps2
Sony PlayStation 2 Technical Specifications
CPU: 128 Bit "Emotion Engine" running at 300 MHz
System Memory: 32 MB Direct Rambus
Memory Bus Bandwidth: 3.2 GB per second
Co-Processor: FPU (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator x 1, Floating Point Divider x 1)
Vector Units: VU0 and VU1 (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator x 9,
Floating Point Divider x 1)
Floating Point Performance: 6.2 GFLOPS
3D CG Geometric Transformation: 66 million Polygons Per Second
Compressed Image Decoder: MPEG2
Graphics: "Graphics Synthesizer"
"Graphics Synthesizer" Clock Frequency: 150MHz
"Graphics Synthesizer" DRAM Bus bandwidth: 48 GB Per Second
"Graphics Synthesizer" DRAM Bus width: 2560 bits
"Graphics Synthesizer" Pixel Configuration: RGB:Alpha:Z Buffer (24:8:32)
"Graphics Synthesizer" Maximum Polygon Rate: 75 Million Polygons Per Second
Sound: "SPU2 + CPU"
Number of voices: ADPCM: 48 channel on SPU2 plus definable by software
Sampling Frequency: 44.1 KHz or 48 KHz (selectable)
I/O Processor CPU Core: Current PlayStation CPU
I/O Processor Clock Frequency: 33.8 MHz or 37.5 MHz (selectable)
I/O Processor Sub Bus: 32 Bit
I/O Processor Interface Types: IEEE1394, Universal Serial Bus (USB)
I/O Processor Communication: via PC-Card PCMCIA
Disc Media: DVD-ROM (CD-ROM compatible)

This are The Wii Specs :
Nintendo Wii Technical Specifications (#1 Japan)
CPU: PowerPC G5 Processor running at 2.7 GHz
RAM: 512 MB total (including 128MB for video and 64MB for sound)
Graphics: 600 MHz graphics chip
Storage: 15 Gigabyte hard drive built in
Media: Blue-laser disc technology
Connectivity: Wi-Fi for Internet connection
Nintendo Wii Technical Specifications (#2 America & Europe)
CPU: Dual IBM G5 PowerPC processors running at 1.8 GHz
RAM: 256 MB DDR main memory (including 64MB for sound, using a 7.1 sound system at 196 KHz)
VRAM: 128 MB GDDR3 video memory
Graphics: ATI graphics chip running at 500MHz (16 Pixel Pipe, 220 million transistors)
Media: Blue-laser disc technology
Connectivity: Wi-Fi for Internet connection

As you can see the differences are radical in both consoles but the problem is in the emulation the Ps2 works in interpreter mode
this means less speed hack and all the chips emulated even in games that dont use all the capabilities of the ps2 (allmost all the americans games) and the Ps2 emulator is becoming heavier, the Gamecube & Wii emulator works at Compiler level with more speed hacks and more features available if you want to prove if is fast the wii emulator just enable the options to make it look like the wii and your computer wouldnt be able to handle

PCSX2 0.9.4 to 0.96
Worked perfect with this hardware
Pentium D 2.88 Ghz Dual Core
600 Mb of Ram
Ati Radeon Xpress 200 Series 128 Mb

PCSX2 0.9.7 to Latest Version
I7 3.6 Ghz
1 to 2 Gb ram
Gpu the latest One

Dolphin requirement for Wii imitation look
AMD Black Edition 6 Cores Overclocked 4.5 Ghz
8 Gb Ram
GPU Amd HD 4 GB Crossfire configuration

As you can see the PCSX2 requires more CPU power than Gpu because it doesnt take advantage of the gpu but Dolphin takes advantage of Gpu and Ram this why is faster.
The emulation process in PCSX2 is based ¡n raw CPU power nothing else.
I was a friend of a Ps2 developer and i was having the Sony Ps2 SDK and it came with an emulator made by Sony but it was faster than Pcsx2 but unfortunate i returned the SDK the requirements for that emulator was the following
Intel or AMD Dual Core 2.0 Ghz (tested on intel celeron dual core 2 Ghz)
Ati Radeon 9250 256 Mb
256 Mb Ram
As you can see Sony made an emulator it runned perfectly all the games and those requirements are from my old computer and the emulator runned without lags it was a well optimized emulator i think the problem in the PCSX2 development is that the developers dont try to optimize the code to work faster or to try to use the GPU and Ram.
The prove of this would be the Ps2 emulator for Ps3 it work at software mode it doesnt use the Hardware of the Ps3.