Dragon Ball Z BT 3
I'm trying to get PSCX2 running, mainly for this game, maybe also WWE.
I've read thru the FAQs, and my hardware seems to be off the charts for what's needed (i5 3570K @ 4.2GHz + 9800 GT), yet I can't run DBZBT3 @ 1920x1080 (my native screen res). I get about 30fps. If I bring it down to 1280x1024 I get ~40fps. Native res I do get 60fps. Is my computer just not powerfull enugh or am I doing something wrong? I have a hunch that VirtuMVP is messing stuff up (or just the fact that the IGPU is available makes PCSX2 confused...). Edit: systematic testing shows that completley disabling Virtu takes me from 30fps to 40fps @ 1280x1024. So I guess Virtu should stay off.

Sponsored links

(09-13-2012, 03:09 PM)adriangb Wrote: I'm trying to get PSCX2 running, mainly for this game, maybe also WWE.
I've read thru the FAQs, and my hardware seems to be off the charts for what's needed (i5 3570K @ 4.2GHz + 9800 GT), yet I can't run DBZBT3 @ 1920x1080 (my native screen res). I get about 30fps. If I bring it down to 1280x1024 I get ~40fps. Native res I do get 60fps. Is my computer just not powerfull enugh or am I doing something wrong? I have a hunch that VirtuMVP is messing stuff up (or just the fact that the IGPU is available makes PCSX2 confused...).

Not too sure about this game as I don't have it, but I AM going to ask the question that springs to mind...I hope that this doesn't sound patronising as I have no idea of your experience, but if you do have an integrated GPU, are you sure that PCSX2 isn't using it?....Either shown in the log at startup or if you open the Graphics plugin, make a change (resolution or anything) then apply and check the log, it should tell you what graphics card is being used....

If that isn't it then over to someone else with this game or more knowledge...
(09-13-2012, 03:17 PM)RetroGamer Wrote: Not too sure about this game as I don't have it, but I AM going to ask the question that springs to mind...I hope that this doesn't sound patronising as I have no idea of your experience, but if you do have an integrated GPU, are you sure that PCSX2 isn't using it?....Either shown in the log at startup or if you open the Graphics plugin, make a change (resolution or anything) then apply and check the log, it should tell you what graphics card is being used....

If that isn't it then over to someone else with this game or more knowledge...

Well that's something I'm exploring. As I said in my edited OP, disabling virtu completely boost my FPS. I also added an exception for the pcsx2 exe (to discrete and no hyperformance). I can tell by the plugin window, since my GPU supports up to DX10.1 and my IGUP up to DX11, hence if D3D11 is displayed (as it is ATM) I guess my IGUPU is doing the work.
I noticed this yesterday and somehow (thru playing with Virtu I think, but now I can't get it to work) I got it to display D3D10/9 only, but if I selected D3D10 I got 60fps (up to the main menu I guess, which isn't the case right now) but a blank black screen Sad
if you got that 9800gt in the slot and you use it as primary screen card, it is used by pcsx2 there is almost no other way really.

have you tried this:

enable the reccomended speedhacks (can be found under config >> emulation settings >> speedhacks)

mainly mtvu, and EE cycle stealing at 1 or 2.
vu strealing wont be necisary but to be on the save side slide it to 1 (i even dont use it with a 4.0ghz i5)
set the resolution to 2x native and check in the nvidea control center if you dont have anything enabled like AA or afx16 or something, this could also potentially affect the perfomance of pcsx2
(09-13-2012, 03:26 PM)adriangb Wrote: Well that's something I'm exploring. As I said in my edited OP, disabling virtu completely boost my FPS. I also added an exception for the pcsx2 exe (to discrete and no hyperformance). I can tell by the plugin window, since my GPU supports up to DX10.1 and my IGUP up to DX11, hence if D3D11 is displayed (as it is ATM) I guess my IGUPU is doing the work.
I noticed this yesterday and somehow (thru playing with Virtu I think, but now I can't get it to work) I got it to display D3D10/9 only, but if I selected D3D10 I got 60fps (up to the main menu I guess, which isn't the case right now) but a blank black screen Sad

I'm guessing you have nvidia control panel installed?...You know you can (again sorry if you already know this) just open this, and somewhere in the settings (can't quite remember as I'm at work) there is a screen that lets you associate specific GPUs to .EXEs. Options are Integrated/Global/Nvidia XXXX)...Then hit apply at the bottom. Global refers to whatever windows and co are using. I use the intel for windows and nvidia for pcsx2.
Bt3 is abit gpu demanding.
That 9800 gt won't let you go higher than 3x native if tou want to keep full speed
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(09-13-2012, 03:38 PM)warWeeny Wrote: if you got that 9800gt in the slot and you use it as primary screen card, it is used by pcsx2 there is almost no other way really.

have you tried this:

enable the reccomended speedhacks (can be found under config >> emulation settings >> speedhacks)

mainly mtvu, and EE cycle stealing at 1 or 2.
vu strealing wont be necisary but to be on the save side slide it to 1 (i even dont use it with a 4.0ghz i5)
set the resolution to 2x native and check in the nvidea control center if you dont have anything enabled like AA or afx16 or something, this could also potentially affect the perfomance of pcsx2

I went to NVidia control center and set it back to default. AA is 'application controlled'.

My current setup is somewhat weird, since I also run OS X (mods pm me if this shouldn't be mentioned and I'll edit the post), and hence I usually have IGPU set to main GPU in UEFI/BIOS. I also have my main screen (I have one DVI only 1920x1080 and one VGA only 1280x1024, that must be plugged into the 9800GT since OS X doesn't support the VGA out of the IGPU) plugged into my IGPU, since my GPU only supports 1024x720 in VESA and I hate the look of black bars every time I reboot/enter the BIOS -which as you may have guessed is quite often.

Anyhow, I went into the BIOS and set PCIe to main GPU and set my main monitor to the VGA 1280x1024 that's plugged into my 9800GT in windows. I left the other monitor plugged into the DVI out of the MB/IGPU. So now it should be a pretty 'normal' setup. I tried the settings you recommended + DX10 (yes, now I got DX10, with Virtu also disabled) at 3xthe internal res, and I'm getting ~35fps at the lowest point, with menus, etc all ~60fps. EE is at about 40% and GS is around 40% as well.

(09-13-2012, 03:58 PM)jesalvein Wrote: Bt3 is abit gpu demanding.
That 9800 gt won't let you go higher than 3x native if tou want to keep full speed

So I could be being held back by my GPU? BTW, what would be an average native?
have you tried 2x native because 3x is to much for the 9800gt.

2x native still looks nice in comparison to native and if you are really nitpicky about it then i sugest overclocking the gpu so you can get 1200 x 1200 res that is the max i could get out of that card in the past pcsx2 wise (dragon quest 8 needed 2x or else i woul dget slowdowns in demanding area's)
(09-13-2012, 04:23 PM)warWeeny Wrote: have you tried 2x native because 3x is to much for the 9800gt.

Well I've tried 1280x1024 which (supposing 640x480 is native res) is about 2x.

This was all kind of a proof of concept, since I'm not gaming much ATM (the 9800GT is underpowered for games like Batman AC), I just felt like playing some good old punch punch lol. Anyhow, I'm probably upgrading to a 6870 so then I should be able to play full hd @ 60fps Rolleyes . No use tinkering any more if the GPU isn't powerful enough, I guess I'll just play aliased or wait...

Thanks guys!
Native res is 512*512, FYI...
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go