Dragon Quest V and GSdx10
Using MTVU speedhack and two extra gsdx rendering threads should make software mode run faster. And async mix audio mode should fix the sound if there are any issues.

According to

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_4/...0E%29.html

the CPU should support SSE3 but if not, gsdx SSE2 might be the best option then. (SSE is a CPU instruction set to make complex calculations run faster if the CPU and software both support it)

DQ5 PS2 was the first Dragon Quest game I ever played (I also imported a copy of DQ7 PS1 but I did not own a PS1 and emulation was too slow for my old computer back in the day) and is one of the best JRPGs ever created in my opinion. I like it much more than DQVIII.

Sponsored links

The game is special, yea.
It's a very emotional title, I'll say that much Tongue2
Thanks for the suggestion but my computer refuses to use SSE3 so I'm stuck with SSE2. :-/ Also, even without the speedhacks, for some reason the game runs a bit faster on Software Mode; 60 - 63 fps in non-graphically demanding areas/scenes. Hard Ware mode runs at 57 - 61 fps. I still need to get used to the noisy fan though. >_<

I got to play the SNES version first on my PSP (I get much more immersed into a game's world with it but not so much on a big screen). And yes indeed, this is an emotional one. I may have played other games that touched me but not as deep as ths one. It's the only game I can recall that made me frown with sadness.

I played each title in this order: I, II, III, IV (NES), V, VI (emulated on PSP), VIII (actual PS2). I used to wish that each title lasted a little longer but when I got to play VII on my PSP, I kept telling myself "you wished for it! Just enjoy the ride!" Lol! I hope SE would release the 3DS remake in the West! I loved the extensive exploration the title offers and would like to see if they've managed to remove the I-think-I-want-to-reach-game's-end-soon feeling when you've been playing it long enough.