Dragon Quest VIII save editor
Can't you make it so the save editor does all this instead of needing to extract the save with 2 other apps?
I mean the PS2 save builder keeps locking up on me and it's a real pain to use. Plus I have to make several locations just to edit 1 save.
Would be much simpler to have one app that does the job.

Sponsored links

I know that this may seem arrogant/horrific in asking, being that this thread is four years old, but I was wondering if, since it comes from a direct port by square enix, if a comparable Save Game Editor for the iOS/Android versions of Dragon Quest VIII from the bones of this editor?
Lucifer66: Unfortunately it would be a great deal of work to modify it specifically for PCSX2 and is also not applicable to those who don't use the emulator. If you like you can contact me regarding the process or usage of the tools.

hubrisnxs: Hey there. Thanks for your reply. Just so happens I was curious how people were getting on with the editor I made all those years ago and I stumbled across your post. It's been a long time since I looked at this project but I'll take a look at it and see if I can update it for Android Smile
Capo,

Thank you for the amazingly quick response; other than sky wizard intervention, I can only hope you had subscribed to the topic.

Now, I have to say, I have used your save editor with SOME success via Game Guardian on android, although I can't give the values to others to help them modify values, since it apparently varies based on where in-game the values are modified, if that makes any sense.

If you'd like, if you don't have a rooted Android/i0S to get DQVII, I don't want you having to pay 20 bucks, so I can either send it to you using the non root method or temporarily change the password I used to purchase, giving you access to download.

Yours was incredibly complex, compared to, say, the FFIII save editor for Android (search for on XDA), and I thank you for it. Anything I can do to help, please message me, and I will do all that is within my power.

Best,

B
Well, I didn't reply that fast - did take me a week Wink

...I didn't quite follow what you were saying about the values changing and such. Anyway, I expect that some things from the game would've been modified with the cross-over to a new platform. As for the offer of helping or providing a copy of DQVIII on Android, it just so happens that I helped a friend of mind root a Galaxy S4 last week, so I've asked him to pop it round, at which point I'm going to load the game and examine it closely. So it's all good Smile Just waiting on my friend turning up.
(06-10-2014, 04:16 PM)capo2010 Wrote: Well, I didn't reply that fast - did take me a week Wink

...I didn't quite follow what you were saying about the values changing and such. Anyway, I expect that some things from the game would've been modified with the cross-over to a new platform. As for the offer of helping or providing a copy of DQVIII on Android, it just so happens that I helped a friend of mind root a Galaxy S4 last week, so I've asked him to pop it round, at which point I'm going to load the game and examine it closely. So it's all good Smile Just waiting on my friend turning up.

Well, as you said, it was several years old; that you bothered at all shows... well, if you're determined to be modest, I shouldn't say things that might appear to be pandering/kissingarse/going overboard. So, new paragraph.

Yes, this is better. Anyway, I understand, reading just now what I wrote before checking your response, why you would be confused. I used values three times in a sentence in two different contexts. What I should have said is, say, when I use a hex/game editor like Game Guardian to modify the skill points for the Hero to, say, 65, I can definitely do that. I can even save that value and he'll always have 65, which is a game breaker for me (no fun), but if I move to a different area, the hex value that I changed to give him 65 skill points, even saving that string as "heroskillpoints" so I could go back to it, is completely useless. Should I want to edit his points again, I'd have to do the whole laborious process again.

There is no way to edit items or... well, basically any of the various awesome functions of your save editor. I also have not been able to find the save file in the root directory. Most square-enix are in root/data/com.square[gamehere]/files/savefile... but it appears this isn't the case here, and can't find where it is anywhere on the internet.
Okay, so you're basically editing active memory, right? In which case, the addresses change constantly making the process difficult and time consuming, especially if you're trying to edit more than just one value. Sounds like a pain in the arse.

Well as you know, my editor only works with the save files but I'll try and dig them out. It's possible that it's stored within an archive containing other settings related to the game, or within a difficult-to-access folder or something.

I'll see what I can find. Smile
(06-12-2014, 06:20 AM)capo2010 Wrote: Okay, so you're basically editing active memory, right? In which case, the addresses change constantly making the process difficult and time consuming, especially if you're trying to edit more than just one value. Sounds like a pain in the arse.

Well as you know, my editor only works with the save files but I'll try and dig them out. It's possible that it's stored within an archive containing other settings related to the game, or within a difficult-to-access folder or something.

I'll see what I can find. Smile

Its definitely in the root directory; what's weird is that the directory in root/data/com.squarexxxxx.dragonq8 has an arrow in the files directory (which is where almost every square game's save file is) but my two browsers (root explorer, xplorer) can't get it to open up its contents... come to think of it, though, perhaps that's because the editor was open at the time...

I definitely understand how/why the values are variable; its just that I'm only 1/3rd competent. If I can get you to work on this (or anyone, really), I'd have accomplished something grand.

PRE-POST EDIT: A search for where the save file seems only to turn up me asking on various forums.
Well, the good news is I got a copy working on an Android device and found the save data. It's stored in either the SDCard or the device's internal memory, in the following folder:

[Drive]:\Android\data\com.square_enix.android_googleplay.dq8\files\savedata[#].bin

(You may need to ensure that your files are not being saved by default to the cloud.)

The bad news however is that the save structure is completely different to that of the PS2. Therefore, the editor will require reprogramming in order to be compatible with it.
(06-13-2014, 12:41 AM)capo2010 Wrote: Well, the good news is I got a copy working on an Android device and found the save data. It's stored in either the SDCard or the device's internal memory, in the following folder:

[Drive]:\Android\data\com.square_enix.android_googleplay.dq8\files\savedata[#].bin

(You may need to ensure that your files are not being saved by default to the cloud.)

The bad news however is that the save structure is completely different to that of the PS2. Therefore, the editor will require reprogramming in order to be compatible with it.

Class act, Capo, giving me the save directory without correcting me re:"definitely in root folder".

Are you familiar with Android architecture at all? I am to a certain extent... enough to edit my own things I require. You are right, though, and it might be because its a port of the Japanese version, so items are in different locations, but...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the names are the same, the hex/dec values should be the same... I'll get right on it. Looks like I won't even need root access to fix the values.