Dragon quest 8 slowdown, cant figure out why.
Specs: I7 920 @2.8 ghz(the stock overclock), Radian HD 5850 (also stock).

On the overworld when I’m looking out to a wide open area, during larger battles, and occasionally for no apparent reason the game will slow down to about half speed. What’s confusing me is that during these slowdowns the cpu and gpu are not at max load (~80%). Resolution also has no noticeable effect, unless I set it to something inane like 7000x4000 which brings everything to a standstill, and yet the game speeds right back up when I look at my feet. The slowdown is usually only to 30-40 fps, so it’s still playable, just annoying.

The speed hack which has the biggest impact is vu cycle stealing (which causes annoying graphics glitches and audio stuttering so I try to keep it off). Wait loop detection and MUV flag help a little with no noticeable bugs so I use them.

Also, I haven’t yet tried any other games, so I don’t know how they would run.

Any ideas?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

(07-17-2010, 03:19 AM)jenovaside Wrote: Specs: I7 920 @2.8 ghz(the stock overclock), Radian HD 5850 (also stock).

On the overworld when I’m looking out to a wide open area, during larger battles, and occasionally for no apparent reason the game will slow down to about half speed. What’s confusing me is that during these slowdowns the cpu and gpu are not at max load (~80%). Resolution also has no noticeable effect, unless I set it to something inane like 7000x4000 which brings everything to a standstill, and yet the game speeds right back up when I look at my feet. The slowdown is usually only to 30-40 fps, so it’s still playable, just annoying.

The speed hack which has the biggest impact is vu cycle stealing (which causes annoying graphics glitches and audio stuttering so I try to keep it off). Wait loop detection and MUV flag help a little with no noticeable bugs so I use them.

Also, I haven’t yet tried any other games, so I don’t know how they would run.

Any ideas?

I have this problem with the game most the other games i play are fine tho
i have the same problem. THis is a GPU heavy game so you need a good graphics card.
You have a core i7 cpu. These all use dynamic clocks depending on load, power saving settings and the weather.
You'll have to set your power saving settings to maximum performance and disable the turbo feature in the BIOS
(you can manually overclock the cpu if you want).
After that it shouldn't jump in FPS that much anymore.