Dragon quest VIII in HD hardware And settings opinion
(07-03-2012, 11:20 AM)rama Wrote: Okay, I tested this with my GTX260 from 2008 Tongue2
I get 75FPS up until 4x scaling and 60FPS at 5x scaling.
So clearly memory bandwith isn't the only limiting factor in this game, my card has ~120GB/s.

I also fiddled a bit with GSdx settings and the skipdraw hack at 1 gives a free performance boost
back to 75FPS. It also fixes the shadows Smile

Hi there, have u taken in to account that DQ8 have very fluctuating FPS?, there are some places with high bandwidth demand like the monster arena, in the entrance near the bar is a high demanding area,(or the start of fights vs many mobs), and other places like the outside can be running like a charm even with a 5970, i know that because today i was cleaning my 580gtx and a one of the memory heatsinks of my accelero xtreme just fall down and sadly im out of G1 glue to paste it again ( and the lazy asses of the store doesn't have any Glare), so i run a little test with the 5970, what i mean is even a weak card like that one (weak for pcsx2 ) can make "good" fps at X4 and even x5 in some places, but others like the ones i mention above makes u fell the punch in the nuts xD.
Maybe the best way to make the test is running the game in the same places, otherwise the results are going to be very subjectives xD.
And back to the memory bandwidth of the 680 i was reading somewhere (my browser history is a mess and i cant found it again, wen i found it i post it) that it is a bottle neck for the card, so it is not THAT good, maybe im wrong but for me the wise decision is wait for the next gen if u have a 580 and skip the 6xx series.

Sponsored links

Ok, what you say it's true , they would have to check the speed in battles and crowded areas. Anyway, I hope someone with a gtx680 can give some feedback
Somebody with a gtx680?
Could you explain me how to fix some scenes in the game? I'm obtaining that kind of screen (in stages like Alister's murder or Angelo meeting Marcello for the first time):

brown screen

My graphical card is an ASUS EAH 5750 FORMULA (1Gb GDDR5)... I think that's enough to run all the game in good quality at least.

PD: The rest of the game is working fine, I haven't problems with that

Thank you very much in advance!
Unfortunately this doesn't work at all in hardware rendering. You need to switch to software in these scenes (F9 to switch).
@Rama, i wouldn't go as far as saying skipdraw fixes the shadows, and comparing the HW to SW shadows its clear hardware shadows just dont look right. However it`s the best we can get until HW post processing is fixed Smile
Msi GF-62VR
Intel  core i7 7700hq @2.8(3.5ghz turbo) Nvidia 6gig GTX1060 16 gigs DDr5   windows 10
*base 64 images don't work here - ref*
(08-10-2012, 12:11 PM)rama Wrote: Unfortunately this doesn't work at all in hardware rendering. You need to switch to software in these scenes (F9 to switch).

Wow, thanks a lot!! With software rendering I'm able to see the part that I've wanted! It's not that perfect, but it works at 90% so I'm fully satisfied!
Thanks again :-)!
If any of you tried playing Star Ocean 3 and switch it to 6x native, then you will see what true beauty is...
Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP micro ATX Intel motherboard
Intel Core i5 3570K processor @3.4 GHz
Patriot G2 Series 8 GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Sapphire Radeon HD7870XT 2GB GDDR5 RAM
Patriot Pyro SATA III 120 GB SSD
Corsair GS 600W PSU
(08-11-2012, 12:43 AM)Qaddafi Wrote: If any of you tried playing Star Ocean 3 and switch it to 6x native, then you will see what true beauty is...

Plus a big monitor included...