DualShock MotionJoy 32Bit Issue
Hi guys,

Not sure if this is a question for the techs here or at MotionJoy but I've been experiencing some difficulty using my Dual Shock 3 controller with PCSX2. There is some functionality and my computer seems to be able to recognize the game pad and driver I've decided to use (DS3 Tool) but while playing Final Fantasy 13 the player character will inexplicably begin running in circles.

I've tried a number of different resources in my attempts to get the controller to work properly with PCSX2. The ones that seemed most highly regarded were Motion Joy and LibUsb. I tried LibUsb at first but was unable to get any sort of response from the controller on the computer. I removed the driver and then installed Joy. The first installation might have been corrupted some how because it didn't initialize the controller either. On my third try I downloaded a version of the Joy program that seemed more stable and got the controller to work.

Unfortunately, upon loading Final Fantasy 13 the player character began his aforementioned exercises. I thought it was a simple button mapping issue but no configuration seemed to work and I've since deduced (utilizing my admittedly limited technical understanding of any of the programs and devices used) that there is a spaghetti monster inside my Dual Shock 3.

Just kidding, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the motion sensor in the PS3 game pad but I can't seem to disable to the feature or work around it. I read here on this forum that MotionJoy replaces left analog stick with the dual Axis sensor. I'm not sure if that has something to do with it but I've noticed tilting the controller does direct the characters movements. I've also noticed that attempting to configure buttons in 'PAD settings' usually results in all of keys being immediately mapped as 00_Axis2_Max which leads me to believe that the motion sensor is being recognized before I can configure the right buttons.

I'm using Windows XP SP3, PSCX2-r6400, MotioninJoy_05002_x86 (I think this version of MJ is for 32bit systems) and a PS3 Dual Shock 3 controller connected via USB. Everything but the controller works flawlessly.

Any advice (even if it involves a completely different program and installation) is welcome.

Thanks!

-Rita

Sponsored links

Hi, I've no experience withthis specific device (I do not own a ps3 so i haven't had a chance to try connecting it's controller), but one thing that has caused it on many devices and periphials is when the controller is turned on while the analogue stick is still tilted offcentre. If it's happening between two different software packages it means that the thing which remains constant is probably at fault.

When you use that dualshock on your PS3 does the same symptoms happen? If they do not happen on your PS3 then the common problem obvious has something to do with the way it's interfacing with your computer.

There's something when you go into PCSX2 config, i use Lillypad plugin, and if you click in the Device Diagnostics section, in the "general" tab, you can click "Test device". A box appears and that tells you values for the different button and analogue states. States you'll be looking for are things like "Y Axis" or "Y axis+" or "Y axis-". Have a look at those values.

Sometimes depending on the controller you will have two different outputs for the same thing. For example "Y axis" on mine is in the middle at 0.5 but if i move my left analogue stick up, it goes to 0 and if i move it down it goes to 1. It's resting state is 0.5. If it's resting state was different, like 0.7 then it would mean that my stick was always pulling down a little. Which in a game would always make my character run south even when i'm pressing nothing.

Y Axis for me isn't the only thing that tracks Up and Down on my left analogue stick, individually Y axis+ tracks the stick when I pull it down. Resting state is 0, when it's fully down, it's at 1. Y axis- tracks the stick when i push it up, resting state is 0, and when i push it up it goes to 1. So both of these can be used in lilypad for me to use as up and down on my list.

So what can you do with this information? Well, when my PSP stick broke, what happened was it still centrerd the stick but the sensor was wrong. When the stick went to the centre it normally was at resting state 0.5. But when it broke it would rest at 0.7, which in many games was a very slow walk off to the side. This caused some games to be unplayable until i replaced the stick (shockingly easy to do on a PSP).

What I want you to do maybe is if you have time, when you load up pcsx2 have a look at that screen and learn what the Y and X axis are doing for the left analogue stick. You can test this because when you're in the screen it updates as you move it. If you only move the left analogue stick you can see which ones it's talking about. So once you know which values are your analogue stick, you can then take note of what they are when it's centered. It should be 0 or 0.5 or 1. if they're a little tiny bit wrong (like 0.512) then it doesn't matter. Then when you get into the game and you when you see your character start walking around without you pressing anything, go back to that screen. If the values are now at something like 0.7~ or something that it shouldn't be then you know the controller, or the software holding the controller is telling you the wrong information.

Normally in my experience, and I don't have any with the ps3 controller, but with other sony controllers (Dualshock 2 and the PSP) when you start walking around in circles, it means the analogue stick is busted. Although I'm happy to be proven wrong.
First of all you mean Final Fantasy 12, right?

http://www.motioninjoy.com/download This is the official site. If you haven't downloaded from here, do so. Make sure you download according to your correct operating system.

I know for me you have to open the DS3 Tool Application on the desktop everytime you power on your PC, and select the third bubble, which is a PS2 Mode. Make sure you then enable that bubble. Don't choose Playstation 3 as the controller.

Let me know how this goes for you.
Quote:So what can you do with this information? Well, when my PSP stick broke, what happened was it still centrerd the stick but the sensor was wrong. When the stick went to the centre it normally was at resting state 0.5. But when it broke it would rest at 0.7, which in many games was a very slow walk off to the side. This caused some games to be unplayable until i replaced the stick (shockingly easy to do on a PSP).

What I want you to do maybe is if you have time, when you load up pcsx2 have a look at that screen and learn what the Y and X axis are doing for the left analogue stick. You can test this because when you're in the screen it updates as you move it. If you only move the left analogue stick you can see which ones it's talking about. So once you know which values are your analogue stick, you can then take note of what they are when it's centered. It should be 0 or 0.5 or 1. if they're a little tiny bit wrong (like 0.512) then it doesn't matter. Then when you get into the game and you when you see your character start walking around without you pressing anything, go back to that screen. If the values are now at something like 0.7~ or something that it shouldn't be then you know the controller, or the software holding the controller is telling you the wrong information.

Greetings and thanks for the help!

I decided to test PCSX2 and MotionJoy on a slightly different system with the latest versions of each installed. PCSX2 showed the pads axis' to be within the parameters you described but now the controller won't work passed the initial configuration of FF12's game settings and cinematics. The one thing I did do differently was not installing LibUsb which I thought might have been interfering with how Motion Joy works.

Under the configuration where I had both of them working in tandem, I checked off the 'DualShock 3 native mode' option in the Game Device API's menu. I think I'll try installing LibUsb again without MotionJoy. I've read that there is a way to setup the controller with just that program which can actually make for a more optimal configuration. I think what I need for this configuration is the right setup procedure which I'll browse around for.

I haven't tried testing the controllers (I've tried two controllers on PC) on my PS3 as it is currently packed away but I'll probably do that to rule out that there's serious damage to either units. I did, however, notice that when calibrating the controllers using XP's Game Controller program that the left analog stick on both Dual Shocks was not centered. I'm not sure if its because of the motion sensor being over sensitive while acting as the left stick or if the thumb stick is actually out of alignment from wear and tear.

I've prestiged in COD with those controllers more times than is appropriate for a person with bills.

Thanks for the help.

Quote:First of all you mean Final Fantasy 12, right?

http://www.motioninjoy.com/download This is the official site. If you haven't downloaded from here, do so. Make sure you download according to your correct operating system.

I know for me you have to open the DS3 Tool Application on the desktop everytime you power on your PC, and select the third bubble, which is a PS2 Mode. Make sure you then enable that bubble. Don't choose Playstation 3 as the controller.

Let me know how this goes for you.

My mistake, It was FF12.

I tried what you said but under a new configuration without LibUsb and it had no effect. The controller behaved essentially the same with PCSX2 only being able to register the dual axis sensor when I tried to bind the right keys. If you don't mind my asking, how did you install your version?

Thanks

-Rita