Dynasty Warriors 3 slowdowns, help?
The 'Warriors' line of games were my favourites on PS2 and I got most of them across the dynasty, samurai and orochi warriors games.  (Still have my PS2 setup and still play games which don't like PCSX2 like ratchet and clank)
but playing Dynasty Warriors 3 on PS2 is just so hard to look at due to the very low texture quality as well as resolution for a 2001 game, it is almost impossible to see anything.

I tried playing on PCSX2 but in battles or just when going near big fights the game chugs and slows down even though it is displaying 100speed and 60fps. My EE gets up to about 90max(normally around 70 though) and my GS to about 70max (normally around 65), when not slowed my EE is around 50 and GS as low as 25. 

My Specs: 
Intel i5 2500K OC'd to 4.2Ghz.
Nvidia GTX 680 DirectCU II OC'd to 1215Mhz
Kingston DDR3 2x4GB 1600Mhz RAM
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD (PCSX2 and ISO on here!)

Picture of PCSX2 + CPU-Z attached.
Picture of settings attached.

Hopefully I can get it running fine if not, gonna have to deal with 2001 PS2 graphics on a 1080p 32" screen Tongue

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

The reason you get that slowdown is because the slowdown is there on the actual PS2 itself. I've played countless Warriors games and as awesome as DW3 is/was, it had a tendency to lag hard sometimes during congested battles with lots of units on screen. DW3 is also probably the most CPU-intensive game in the series in terms of the emulator. I've played DW5 extensively on PCSX2 (went so far as to unlock all hidden items, mounts, stages, characters, and a ton of 4th Weapons) and it ran way better than DW3 did.

So even though the emu reports it's getting full-speed (which it is), the actual game itself is running slower because that's how it behaves on the real hardware. Overclocking the EE might help but that would also make the game even more CPU hungry, experiment with it at your own discretion.

edit: Also is there any reason you're running it with the DX9 renderer? Afaik the D3D11 renderer is faster, and your GPU supports it.
(03-06-2016, 07:51 AM)NarooN Wrote: The reason you get that slowdown is because the slowdown is there on the actual PS2 itself. I've played countless Warriors games and as awesome as DW3 is/was, it had a tendency to lag hard sometimes during congested battles with lots of units on screen. DW3 is also probably the most CPU-intensive game in the series in terms of the emulator. I've played DW5 extensively on PCSX2 (went so far as to unlock all hidden items, mounts, stages, characters, and a ton of 4th Weapons) and it ran way better than DW3 did.

So even though the emu reports it's getting full-speed (which it is), the actual game itself is running slower because that's how it behaves on the real hardware. Overclocking the EE might help but that would also make the game even more CPU hungry, experiment with it at your own discretion.

edit: Also is there any reason you're running it with the DX9 renderer? Afaik the D3D11 renderer is faster, and your GPU supports it.

I have tried both Dx11 and Dx9 and both have slowdowns, I was just testing things. 

Also I do know the PS2 version does have slowdowns rarely but it is not for like 5+seconds constant it was like short 1second or less slowdowns that didn't really interfere and happened not very often at all, whereas on the emulator is can be slow for like 10seconds straight and happens constantly and it is very annoying. 

I am playing on PS2 right now (pic attached) and in the same area it is silky smooth the whole time so far.

Also I have too played DW5 a bit on emulator but no where near as much as I have ps2 and I get put off by it due to the black line glitches on anything but native resolution.

Hmm, I never had problems with black lines with DW5 upscaled. Did you use a custom internal res or the mulitplier?

I wasn't aware of the extent of the emulator slowdown you're getting. You definitely shouldn't be getting slowdown THAT bad on it. No idea why that's happening...
(03-06-2016, 10:25 AM)NarooN Wrote: Hmm, I never had problems with black lines with DW5 upscaled. Did you use a custom internal res or the mulitplier?

I wasn't aware of the extent of the emulator slowdown you're getting. You definitely shouldn't be getting slowdown THAT bad on it. No idea why that's happening...

Ehh doesn't matter I live with PS2 console graphics for now, also with DW5 I used the multiplier but I also read a few other people saying they have the issue as well such as here- http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Dynasty-W...-and-lines (He states in Post 9 that playing in native res makes the lines go away which was the case for me as well)
and http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Dynasty_Warriors_5 (What he describes as shadow bugs and clipping may be what I am referring to. )

Also I just completed my 1st attempt at Hu Lao Gate with Guan Yu after grinding a little bit on Yellow Turban Rebellion for the HP and Musou UPs. (Fresh save on PS2 and havn't even touched Musou mode yet) and got 1000 kills, and killed the supply carrier. Meaning my 1st attempt got me Lu Bu, Dong Zhuo, Diao Chan and the Red Hair Saddle Tongue
As a child it took me forever to get the Red Hair and even longer to get Lu Bu.

PS. If you are wondering how I have a few characters without doing Musou mode yet it is because I have a DW2 save on my memory card which gives you a few free characters Wink

Haa nice, dude Smile. These classics just can't be beat. Too bad DW3 doesn't have a progressive output mode for the PS2. Would make it look a lot better on HDTV's.
(03-06-2016, 12:29 PM)NarooN Wrote: Haa nice, dude Smile. These classics just can't be beat. Too bad DW3 doesn't have a progressive output mode for the PS2. Would make it look a lot better on HDTV's.

Thanks. Yeah it is a shame. Still, I'm gonna play the crap out of it then move onto DW4, then eventually 5(all from a fresh save) Wink
Try it in PCSX2 version 1.2.1
It is much much smooth than recent version. The downside is the the broken Movie in the opening and the cutscene.

I haven't pay the Warriors game much and can't compare their difference.
Hope you can report back how it perform in other Warriors game.
The most recent post in this thread is more than 8 months old. Please create a new thread and refrain from posting in threads older than 8 months in the future. Please also review the forum rules. Thank you.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go