Dynasty Warriors 5 & FFXII
Hello,

I started using PCSX2 today, and I was wondering:

1. What the best plug-ins/settings for playing Dynasty Warriors 5 would be.
2. If I would be able to play FFXII at all (I highly doubt it). My processor and video card are very old.
2a. IF it is possible, what the best plug-ins/settings would be.

My spec is: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHz 2.41GHz 2 GB RAM w/ Radeon X800 Pro

I have tried Dynasty Warriors 5 Special (the Japanese version) on my computer and it worked fine, but I wanted to play it in English. Hopefully I'll be able to play it with PCSX2 as well.

Cheers!

EDIT: And I'm running on Windows XP Service Pack 3 if that makes any difference. Thanks!

Sponsored links

Greetings. You couldn't have picked a better place to ask this.

If you were able to overclock your Pentium 4 another 800 mhz, you could get Final Fantasy X running playable (50 FPS)

You could do that in the bios, though it's important to check your temperatures to see how stable your overclock will be. If your not getting above 60C/140 F over load already then it's pretty safe. I used to run mine @ 4 ghz with HT at 168 fahrenheit for hours on end while I was gaming. I rarely ever had crashes, and those typically were from memory instability.

By the way does that have hyperthreading? If it does you'll get a full 60 FPS @ 3.2 ghz

Due to your video card, you might want to use 640x480 resolution or native, but try 1024x768 as well if it makes no difference.

Use GSDX 0.1.9 SSE2, SPU2-X 1.4.0 (Nearest audio processing, disabled effects, Async mix) and Lilypad. You will also need speedhacks so set the EE cyclerate to 3, VU cycle stealing to max and tick INTC sync hack and Wait loop/sync hack. IOP x2 might help some as well.

If all goes well, you should get something similar to this:

This was at 4 ghz with HT, I was getting more than enough framerate. I get 50 FPS here at 3.2 ghz (stock frequency) without hyperthreading.
CPU: Pentium D 'Presler' 915 2.8 ghz 2x2MB L2 @ 3.5 ghz
GPU: eVGA [Nvidia] 8600GT 256MB SSC DDR3
Tested: FFX, FFX-2, FFXII, MGS3, KH, KH2, The Hobbit NTSC
PCSX2 FTW! Biggrin
(07-30-2010, 06:33 PM)Dangerousd777 Wrote: Greetings. You couldn't have picked a better place to ask this.

If you were able to overclock your Pentium 4 another 800 mhz, you could get Final Fantasy X running playable (50 FPS)

You could do that in the bios, though it's important to check your temperatures to see how stable your overclock will be. If your not getting above 60C/140 F over load already then it's pretty safe. I used to run mine @ 4 ghz with HT at 168 fahrenheit for hours on end while I was gaming. I rarely ever had crashes, and those typically were from memory instability.

By the way does that have hyperthreading? If it does you'll get a full 60 FPS @ 3.2 ghz

Due to your video card, you might want to use 640x480 resolution or native, but try 1024x768 as well if it makes no difference.

Use GSDX 0.1.9 SSE2, SPU2-X 1.4.0 (Nearest audio processing, disabled effects, Async mix) and Lilypad. You will also need speedhacks so set the EE cyclerate to 3, VU cycle stealing to max and tick INTC sync hack and Wait loop/sync hack. IOP x2 might help some as well.

If all goes well, you should get something similar to this:

This was at 4 ghz with HT, I was getting more than enough framerate. I get 50 FPS here at 3.2 ghz (stock frequency) without hyperthreading.

Ah thank you for the quick reply. Though I wasn't really thinking about FFX since I've beaten it multiple times on console, you sprouted me another question. If I'd be able to play FFX, would I also be able to play FFX Part 2 as well (which I've regrettably never played)? I'd guess they'd have similar system requirements and need similar plug-ins/settings.

And since I'd barely be able to play FFX with much tweaking, I'm guessing that means no to FFXII? Am I correct in thinking that my processor and video card are just not up to the task (mainly the video card)?

And would the settings you've mentioned do well with Dynasty Warriors 5 also? I'm still at the learning stage of PCSX2, so I apologize if I'm asking any obvious questions.

Thanks again!

EDIT: PS: By the way, I would be more than happy with the game performance in your YouTube video. I wasn't even expecting that much quality from my computer.
you'll be able to run FFX-2 but slowlier. It requires more raw power than FFX
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
I'm pretty sure Dynasty Warriors 5 is a bit beyond your system's capabilities.
(07-31-2010, 02:58 AM)Rezard Wrote: I'm pretty sure Dynasty Warriors 5 is a bit beyond your system's capabilities.

I did try playing the English version of DW5 with PCSX2. It turned on, but everything was too laggy to make it playable at all. However, I know it's not merely my PC that can't handle the game, because I can run the DW5 Special (official PC version that ONLY came out in Japanese) on my computer just fine. The min. requirement for the Japanese release for Windows XP is:

* Processor: Pentium 4 1.6GHz or above (2.6GHz recommended)
* Operating System: Windows XP or later
* Memory (RAM): 256 MB Or Above (512 MB or more recommended)
* 4 GB of free Hard Disk Space
* DVD-ROM/R/RW Drive
* Video Card: 64 MB of memory or higher. (128 MB+ is recommended)

So the only thing I'm lacking from the recommended value would be my processor, but I was still able to crank up the quality of few options and play just fine.

Is there something about PCSX2 that increases the system requirement for the games we play? I figured if I could run the PC version of the game, I'd be able to run the PS2 version of the game. The only reason I want to play the PS2 version is to play the English version of the game.

Thank you all for your replies thus far! They've been very helpful.
hmmm
yeah, there's a big difference in fact.
You're comparing a native pc game with emulation. it's like comparing a duck to a washing machine.
keep in mind that your PC is not a PS2 and runnning a program that translates every single instruction made for a PS2 into PC commands requires a lot of raw pawer.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(07-31-2010, 10:15 AM)jesalvein Wrote: hmmm
yeah, there's a big difference in fact.
You're comparing a native pc game with emulation. it's like comparing a duck to a washing machine.
keep in mind that your PC is not a PS2 and runnning a program that translates every single instruction made for a PS2 into PC commands requires a lot of raw pawer.

Ah, I gotcha. I'll just stick with the PC version of DW 5 Special then and scavenge for FAQs and guides that translate all the Japanese in the game Biggrin.

I will try out FFX-2 and see how it goes. I highly doubt FFXII will work at all unlike FFX series, but I'll try that also anyway.

Though the first replier was extremely helpful, would there be any additional tips or suggestions for me when trying the Final Fantasy series (regarding anything at all such as one little setting or trick that will improve the game, etc.)? Thanks again!
guys i have a question... im playing FFXII on PCSX2 and i get 60FPS no problem with speedhacks, but it says it uses lets say 30% of my processor, but then the FPS go to 40 for a moment but the processor usage is the same? whats that all about? when i use frame limit it uses around 20-(max)50% processor, when i dont it uses up to 80%... how do i fix this? is it because i have i7 930 with 4 cores and pcsx2 uses only 2 and my cpu is clocked at 2.00GHz (***** stock cooler)? if i clock it higher will it be better? i have intel core i7 930 with 4 cores (currently clocked at 2.00GHz), Sapphire HD 5830 GDDR5 1GB, 3X2 DDR3 RAM...
I have really good news for all of you. I just did some testing on FFXII yesterday and my results were astounding... I got a sheer near-60 FPS on average at 4 ghz (with HT) [with frame dips only as low as 50 FPS in scenes with Captain Basch and everybody running around on a killing spree] and it actually runs almost as well as Final Fantasy X however it's more demanding graphically and occasionally computationally. If the game runs at least 40 FPS then it is smooth enough and quick enough in responsivity to be considered playable.

If you have a Prescott or a Cedar Mill Pentium 4 I have great news because Hyperthreading induces a constant 10-20% performance improvement in PCSX2, meaning at 3.2 ghz single core you get 50 FPS on FFX whereas with HT you can get straight 60 in some places. Cedar Mill and 2 MB L2 cache Prescotts perform a lot better than the cache-bottlenecked 1 MB variety (I have the cache-bottlenecked Pentium 4, but it serves me so well sometimes I don't even really consider upgrading because I have almost all of my encoding, decoding, gaming and compression needs covered... and I'm a person who could really use *a lot* of raw floating point capability... unlike people who have Core 2 equipped desktops and notebooks just to listen to music and check Facebook)

Summary: 3 ghz with HT, 3.2-3.6 ghz without HT, but the higher you go the better (if your able to overclock). If you have a weak graphics card just use native resolution or 512x384/640x480.

Upscaling in frequency will save you quite a bit of time. I just love how clean everything looks when you upscale the internal resolution to at least 1280x1024, but 1600x1200, 1920x1440 or 2048x1536 really do these games justice.

Anyways, for the guy that has an i7 all I have to say is overclocking will help but PCSX2 only supports 2 cores/threads so you would be best off overclocking just the core being used by PCSX2 (since you can do that on those processors).

It's all up to you, but of course de-limiting the framerate is going to allow the program to eat up all your CPU freely. Overclocking will speed things up but obviously it isn't necessary unless you want to try playing the game at double the original speed.

Anyways I'm glad that PCSX2 runs well on lower spec systems than it used to, if this trend continues further even slightly, we'll see more games playable on cheap processors like Pentium 4 and Athlon X2.

By the way I also tried Freedom Fighters... the graphics are so glitched, not even going to attempt Software rendering. I wasted 5 minutes making that ISO with ImgBurn @ 14x read speed. xD
CPU: Pentium D 'Presler' 915 2.8 ghz 2x2MB L2 @ 3.5 ghz
GPU: eVGA [Nvidia] 8600GT 256MB SSC DDR3
Tested: FFX, FFX-2, FFXII, MGS3, KH, KH2, The Hobbit NTSC
PCSX2 FTW! Biggrin