Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E8400 OverClocking !?
Question 
Hey Folks !
I wonder if i can OC my new E8400 from 3ghz to 3.5ghz or 4 ghz with boxed cooling , i also get OCZ 2gb ddr2 .. so ? is 4 ghz good for dolphin and pcsx2 emulation ?
Thankx People In adVANCE !! Tongue

Sponsored links

I overclocked my E8400 to 3.6GHz with box cooling just by FSB changing to 400. Stress test finished successefully - 74*C stable.
Phenom 1055T x6 3.5GHz ; nVidia GTS 250; 6Gb RAM; Windows 7 x64
Eek, 74 is a bit higher than I would be comfortable with. Anything over 70 gets a little worrisome.
http://www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
yeas definetly, 74 is too high .. its thermal limit for them, you will kill it soon with such temp. For 24/7 you shuoldnt go above 65

matalnumb : oc is lottery and every single piece have different OC abilities, dont ask how much you can OC yours.
Intel Dual Core E5200 @ 3,5ghz /gigabyte GF9500GT/2 GB RAM / ASRock P45XE/ Corsair CMPSU-400CXEU
As Elwin said it really depends on the piece you get. I got mine to 3.6 Ghz after having to use ~ 1,32v which is very high for this kind of OC, on a thermaltake big typhoon. The chip simply won't go over that since just for 3,7-3,8 it needs 1,38v +. So it's lukc of the draw but i think you can aim for a 3,6 OC with this chip Wink
[Image: newsig.jpg]
If it's a D0 stepping, you'll likely get 3.8GHZ, E0 stepping, you'll probably get 4GHZ, if it's a C0 you'll probably get 3.6GHZ

*Dependant on cooling.
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.
Not really. I got the E0 stepping and got crap results. I hate it when people say you'll probably get 4 Ghz while it's as possible to get 3,5. It depends on cooling,mobo and ram but it's mainly a good chip factor.
Yes many people can get these chips to 4 Ghz + but that doesn't mean there is a high chance it just won't overclock well.
(10-16-2009, 08:24 AM)Bositman Wrote: Not really. I got the E0 stepping and got crap results. I hate it when people say you'll probably get 4 Ghz while it's as possible to get 3,5. It depends on cooling,mobo and ram but it's mainly a good chip factor.
Yes many people can get these chips to 4 Ghz + but that doesn't mean there is a high chance it just won't overclock well.

Jesus, you got a bad chip :|...
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.
yeah i was mad my e5200 wont go over 3,5ghz but your chip is even worse Blink
and that stepping thing is a crap to be honest, some believes in that some steppings give good OC result but its BS ... my e5200 is M0 so accroding to theory it should be good for OC but it isnt ... i saw many r0 result faaaar better than mine ...
Intel Dual Core E5200 @ 3,5ghz /gigabyte GF9500GT/2 GB RAM / ASRock P45XE/ Corsair CMPSU-400CXEU
The best source of information I found for overclocking was those neat tables some OC forums make with results from various users.
There you can see horrible,medium and great overclocks. I just check the most usual OC people achieve with a chip and assume that. So on my old E6600 most said it OCes to 3.8 easy (or even 3,9) but after checking some of these tables most were getting it to 3,4. My end result was 3,6 which was also lower than what everyone was advertising.
So just a word of caution so you don't get disappointed: It will OC, but how well no one knows. You can expect anything from 3,4 - 4 Ghz Wink Of course as I said RAM,mobo and temps also have an effect but if your chip is bad the best mobo in the world still won't OC it well.