Emulator freezes computer
I've had this problem before when my computer would freeze while playing Odin Sphere on the PCSX2. I thought it was a probably with my computer since it was pretty much new then. Well, I've had the computer for few months now stopped using the PCSX2 almost completely.

Anyways, I tried playing Odin Sphere again tonight and froze again. Now I know that it's not a problem with my computer since I've been playing games like Left4Dead, Mirror's Edge, Devil May Cry 4, and other recent computer games without any crashes. So I've basically narrowed the problem down to the PCSX2.

Here's my computer specs:
Window XP SP3
C2D E8500 3.16 Ghz
Evga 9800 GT 512 MB
2 gb of RAM

If you need anymore information, please post and let me know. Thanks!

Sponsored links

Did you try latest stable Version?

(What version did u try?)
| i7 860 2.8@4ghz | Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.B | Asus Maximus Formula III | G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Gigabyte | 570 GTX AMP! | Enermax 720w PSU | X-Fi Titan | OCZ Vertex 120 GB |
Hmm, though it's a premature guess at this point, I think the version I'm using may have something to do with it.

The version I use to play Odin Sphere is rev. 396. It was the version that I found best to play Odin Sphere with but I've been playing on rev. 377 and the newest Playground version for about 2 hours now and while it doesn't run as smooth as 396, I haven't experienced any freezes/crashes so far.

I'm still not convinced the problem is solved yet since the time it takes for the game to freeze seems to be random. When I first started to play Odin Sphere, I played for hours without any problems, which leads me to believe that it's still too early to tell.
Actually, I take it back. I just tried playing on rev. 580 and it froze within 20 minutes.
Sounds like your PC is overheating. Either your CPU or your graphics card...that's why you don't get it right away and it happens in random spots
[Image: newsig.jpg]
That's what my first guess was when the computer froze for the first time, but since testing the computer out for months now, I don't think overheating is the problem.

My CPU on load is 45C and my video card gets as hot as 65C, which is pretty hot but not hot enough for it to overheat. I kept my eyes out on the EVGA precision GPU temperature monitor and Real Temp CPU temperature monitor as I played through the game and it was no where near hot when it crashed.

Also, like I said, I've been playing games such as Left4Dead, which eats my CPU up with multicore support on, and I've had no problems with any of the PC games.

Thank you for taking your time to respond. Appreciate it.
If your computer is hard locking randomly in-game, then it's almost certainly a problem with your video card or video card drivers. Pcsx2 stresses the video card in ways most other games do not, and heat alone is not the only factor in measuring stability of hardware. So it's entirely likely pcsx2 is exploiting some particular pathway on your video card's cpu die that other games do not use, which is failing more often than not.

How long does pcsx2 typically run before crashing?
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
(02-26-2009, 02:40 AM)Air Wrote: If your computer is hard locking randomly in-game, then it's almost certainly a problem with your video card or video card drivers. Pcsx2 stresses the video card in ways most other games do not, and heat alone is not the only factor in measuring stability of hardware. So it's entirely likely pcsx2 is exploiting some particular pathway on your video card's cpu die that other games do not use, which is failing more often than not.

How long does pcsx2 typically run before crashing?

Hmm, that's very interesting. Thanks for your reply.

Last night, I played a 2 hour session without anything happening. I then turned it off, did some other stuff for about 30 minutes then tried playing again on a different version of PCSX (rev.580) then it crashed within I'd say 15 minutes of gameplay.

It's quite random, though. Sometimes it would freeze within 20 minutes and sometimes it won't freeze even after hours of playtime. I've tried recreating the problem few months ago but it's random nature really threw me off and I stopped playing with the PCSX2 all together after that.
Yes that is Interesting Tongue

In fact, I remember with my DFI nForce 4 Ultra Infinity motherboard one of my PC Games kept crashing (UT2004) (AMD-based setup). Randomly, too. Nothing was overheating, either (Or Overclocked). So when I did make the change back to Intel, I was going to try and sell all the parts I was using and including the DFI motherboard. But when I tried to set it up again, the PC didn't boot at all - Just a blank screen with a couple unknown beeps then stopped making any beeps after cable checking and a couple resets (Which still displayed a Blank Screen of course). Tried the other parts in another PC, no crashing with those. So I ultimately blamed it on the motherboard. I know this might be totally unrelated to PCSX2, but the problem you're facing just made me wonder...
Ivy Bridge 3770K @ 3.9GHz - MSI TwinFrozr GTX680 4GB...
...Nerpyderp.
(02-26-2009, 03:35 AM)retsnom Wrote: Hmm, that's very interesting. Thanks for your reply.

Last night, I played a 2 hour session without anything happening. I then turned it off, did some other stuff for about 30 minutes then tried playing again on a different version of PCSX (rev.580) then it crashed within I'd say 15 minutes of gameplay.

It's quite random, though. Sometimes it would freeze within 20 minutes and sometimes it won't freeze even after hours of playtime. I've tried recreating the problem few months ago but it's random nature really threw me off and I stopped playing with the PCSX2 all together after that.

Try some other game,to rule out it's not game-specific,that would also lead us to believe it's your PC failing somehow
[Image: newsig.jpg]