Emulator on SSD - Games on separate HDD = Epic lagspikes
To clarify.
I tried putting the emulator on my system SSD, while the games were on a traditional storage HDD. This caused lagspikes to the point where it's almost unplayable. If I move the games to the SSD however it runs at 60fps without problems.

With limited room on my SSD is there any way to make this work? I'm embarrasingly bad at computers btw.

Sponsored links

That's weird, I had a similar setup in the past but no such issues. You should check your HDD's SMART data to make sure it's functioning properly (I use HD Tune for this). Also try defrag
I have the same set up and its worked fine in my limited use. I have the iso on a usb2 external hd. if you are using a usb1 external that is not fast enough.

what kind of hd are you storing the games on?
From what I remember it's one of those generic 1TB Caviar drives.

Something like this:
http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=591141

Quote:You should check your HDD's SMART data to make sure it's functioning properly (I use HD Tune for this). Also try defrag
Thanks. I will try when I get the chance.
running "wdidle3 /D" will fix this.

and its clearly not a caviar black..... only greens have this annoying 'intellipark' issue.
Yeah-- that sounds like a green drive, not a black.
Probably green then.

What's the "intellipark' issue"?
It's a power saving feature, which can cause serious delays in performance situations.

You wanna make sure?

Go in Windows Explorer,
right-click the drive and go to Properties.

In the "Hardware" tab, it's exact model number is listed. (all drives are there, too)
(04-11-2012, 06:04 PM)Rezard Wrote: It's a power saving feature, which can cause serious delays in performance situations.
Wow. Seems like a massive oversight by Western Digital.

(04-11-2012, 06:04 PM)Rezard Wrote: You wanna make sure?

Go in Windows Explorer,
right-click the drive and go to Properties.

In the "Hardware" tab, it's exact model number is listed. (all drives are there, too)
I don't have the computer near me atm but I'm almost positive it's the Green caviar.

@Squall Thanks for the help, I'll run the "wdidle3 /D" thingy as soon I get back to my computer. Smile
the issue is the drive head is parked every 8 seconds and spindle motor stopped