Emulator vs Console Question
I have been thinking about playing Final Fantasy 12, but been debating if I should play it on my PS2/(old fat and square tv, 30in TV) with legitimately bought game disc, or should I download the PS2 emulator and play Final Fantasy 12 on my HD 23in monitor.

I heard its better to play on the console because they're made to run the game to what its design, but then again emulator have graphic plugin and advance settings that can make game look even better? Idunno that what I think I just want to know whats better, what are your oppions, should I play it on the PS2 console and my old tv, or the emulator with a nice monitor.

I also want to kind of ask the same question but also for the PS1 emulator is it better to play it on an emulator or the console.

tl;dr Is it better to play on an emulator or a console to get the best out of a game?

Thanks.

Sponsored links

Generally you should play a game on the platform that the game is design for, which is the real console, and you don't need to worry about bug or emulation performance.

FF12 is not the case. Its compatibility is high and performance on PCSX2 is good. Playing it on PCSX2 at a high resolution is better.

For games like Shadow of the Colossus or Gran Turismo 4, I don't bother to play 'em on PCSX2.

Edit: In the future, when something like PCSX3 came out, there was no need to playing PS3 game on it unless you did not have a PS3. PS3 games are 720p already.
on emulator. there really is no reason to limit the graphic if you have the mean to get it better.

unless you're aiming for nostalgia factor which isn't the case here.

lastly, why don't you just try it yourself and decide for yourself?
You can see for yourself, set it to 1080p:
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Play it on pcsx2 when your PC is fast enough to emulate it at fullspeed or fullspeed the most time.
You don't have to use 1080p if your GPU is too weak, you can also use 720p with FXAA which also looks nice and even better than it will ever look on the PS3.

Main Rig: i7-3770k @4.5ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia GTX 980 TI | Win 10 X64
Laptop: MSI GT62VR | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1060 | Win 10 X64

I play on my PS2 only(my pc is not powerful enough for almost all of my games)and I use my PC tv tuner and the monitor as a TV which is 17 inch old CRT monitor.
I play sometimes on my TV too which is old 21inch TV but I can definitely say that between my TV or TV-Tuner,the graphics are better on pcsx2 even without any graphic enhancements.
I'm not rushing you to anything, just giving you an advise:
With that system you can't do much anymore nowadays.
just playing PC games which got released until 2005-2006 and that's about it..

Main Rig: i7-3770k @4.5ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia GTX 980 TI | Win 10 X64
Laptop: MSI GT62VR | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1060 | Win 10 X64

I know,I don't use pcsx2 to play game anyway.
BTW I can play Devil May Cry 4 without problems(1024x768 and almost everything disabled...the only thing I care about is if I can use 1024x768 and some simple texture filtering)
(10-04-2011, 03:09 PM)vsub Wrote: I know,I don't use pcsx2 to play game anyway.
BTW I can play Devil May Cry 4 without problems(1024x768 and almost everything disabled...the only thing I care about is if I can use 1024x768 and some simple texture filtering)

Can you play at 60 frames though?

To be honest, you really need a new PC.. Even for just surfing the net, that poor thing is olllddd.

If you can't get one now, start saving, You'll have to get a new PC in 2014. XP support will end.
Intel Core i7-8700k @5ghz
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 @3600mhz
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64
PC games are not like PS2 game,you don't need 60fps to be able to play at full speed...the game is running between 30-60 and sometimes even more and I almost never experience what I experience when I play PS2 game on pcsx2 when the speed is not full

BTW I don't know why I get the feeling that those with powerful PCs don't really know how well week PCs work...I don't have any problems using mine(I don't watch HD videos,I don't play the newest PC games(I prefer console games)and I don't like Vista/Win7 even if my PC was powerful enough for them))
Anyway,this is getting off topic

Edit: pyroblage I just remembered something...look at this and then judge(pcsx2 can get WAY better but I didn't use anything to make it look better)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)