[Enhancement] Desktop Resolution
(12-25-2015, 08:11 AM)shinra358 Wrote: once you go in game, you'll see the difference between upping the internal rez + staying on 1080p vs upping the internal rez + using dsr rez. You would take notice that far jaggies and even close ones once had, will almost be completely obliterated. While you will have a bit more jaggies shimmering around if you upped the internal rez while staying on 1080p.

I think the same image quality benefits could be achieved by using a different internal resolution to display resolution scaling algorithm, rather than adding additional complexity in the form of another selectable resolution.

The current / default scaling works well when using custom resolutions that are multiples of the display resolution (e.g. 3840x2160 on a 1920x1080 display), but results in more aliasing (compared to other scaling methods) when using internal resolutions of different aspect ratios and/or not multiples of the display res. (e.g. 6x native on a game with 512x512 native res)
Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.4GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Titanium 8GB
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3, 1866MHz @ 9-10-9-27 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo | Samsung S23A700D

Sponsored links

(12-25-2015, 11:00 AM)Ryudo Wrote: For me personally it would be of no benefit I think since I run most of my games at 4x or 5x native, which is beyond my desktop's 1080p resolution. Why would I want to reduce that image quality back down to 1080p? I don't really understand where you're getting it from that it's supposed to look better this way.

And don't we already have the option to setting it to your desktop resolution via custom res anyway? Unless I'm confusing it with something else here... then just disregard this post entirely.

Quote:Dreadmoth
I think the same image quality benefits could be achieved by using a different internal resolution to display resolution scaling algorithm, rather than adding additional complexity in the form of another selectable resolution.

The current / default scaling works well when using custom resolutions that are multiples of the display resolution (e.g. 3840x2160 on a 1920x1080 display), but results in more aliasing (compared to other scaling methods) when using internal resolutions of different aspect ratios and/or not multiples of the display res. (e.g. 6x native on a game with 512x512 native res)

Please read the readme included in the file or at least try the file before commenting. Otherwise it will feel like I'll keep explaining again and again. Theres no complexity involved. All it is, is a few dllcall type lines and code to insert a section in a gui location.
Model: Clevo P570WM Laptop
GPU: GeForce GTX 980M ~8GB GDDR5
CPU: Intel Core i7-4960X CPU +4.2GHz (12 CPUs)
Memory: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3L 1600MHz, 4x8gb
Do you mean adding "Desktop Resolution" as a Scaling option?
They already want to remove custom res so this would be pointless,  custom res out side the muliple of native res cause MORE issue with the scaling then 2x 3x, etc

Quote:Please read the readme included in the file or at least try the file before commenting. Otherwise it will feel like I'll keep explaining again and again. Theres no complexity involved. All it is, is a few dllcall type lines and code to insert a section in a gui location.

If it is that simple implement in the builds

Quote:Other things that you can see a significant difference in is PPSSPP, Lightning Returns Steam, and Project64 among many others that don't change the desktop rez along with the internal game rez.

They dont change desktop resoultion cause there are ALL WINDOWED FULLSCREEN, that is why there is no delay when tabing in and out of the programs if it was Exluscive when you tab out it would be delay.

Emulated Fullscreen=Boarderless Fullscreen=Fullscreen (windowed)= samething* there all the same thing and you can have "desktop" resolution  to being with, that is what custom resolution is for. but seeing they want to remove for above reasons what would be point

Most people dont like the delay from Exclusive Fullscreen programs when tabing out of the program which why most these days are Windowed Fullscreen. short of the few programs that run better Exclusive fullscreen VS Windowed Fullscreen. which come from the fact it rendering 2 things at once vs 1 thing and or engine/driver issues
(12-25-2015, 08:59 PM)tsunami2311 Wrote: Emulated Fullscreen=Boarderless Fullscreen=Fullscreen (windowed)=Exclusive Fullscreen

This is not true. Borderless/Emulated Fullscreen != Exclusive Fullscreen

Anyway I see where shinra is going with this. The way PCSX2 scales the image does cause a lot of aliasing compared to other methods. As dreadmoth pointed out, if we use a custom res that is a factor of, exactly, or multiple of the desktop resolution it will look much better(that likely means it's using nearest scaling). But anything else and it won't. I've noticed this myself.

However because of that it's more complicated than simply introducing the desktop resolution setting thingy. I think it could be added to the GS window tab with little effort, but if we are really out to improve image quality I agree with dreadmoth - the scaling method should be improved. At least to bicubic or possibly lanczos. Of course, lanczos has a decent performance hit. IDK if it can be done on the GPU? Edit: Yeah it can apparently.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Even if you improve the scaling method, this would still be needed and beneficial.

Optimus users struggle with programs not coding in the dpi adjustments, so most programs are going to scale funny if you are in 4K and bump the dpi up so that things are bigger. Also, alot of nvidia features don't work with optimus on. So there goes always using 4K all the time if you have it natively.

If you have 4K or DSR, you're probably using 1080p desk rez to see everything decently without bugs. And having it in 1080 desk rez when you have 4k desk rez available reduces stress of the machine.

Of course you can overshoot and have 6K interal rez on pcsx2 while the monitor is in 4K rez (which means you can cause re-jaggying or darkening but that wouldn't start until you overshoot by alot. A lil over remains ok.), but 4K desk rez + 1080p int rez > 1080p int rez + 1080p desk rez. The closest you can get the int game rez to the 4K desk rez, the more you can iron out jaggies way more than you can now. And if you improve the scaling method, you can still boost the jaggie removal even more by still having this.
Model: Clevo P570WM Laptop
GPU: GeForce GTX 980M ~8GB GDDR5
CPU: Intel Core i7-4960X CPU +4.2GHz (12 CPUs)
Memory: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3L 1600MHz, 4x8gb
(12-25-2015, 10:00 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: This is not true. Borderless/Emulated Fullscreen != Exclusive Fullscreen

Anyway I see where shinra is going with this. The way PCSX2 scales the image does cause a lot of aliasing compared to other methods. As dreadmoth pointed out, if we use a custom res that is a factor of, exactly, or multiple of the desktop resolution it will look much better(that likely means it's using nearest scaling). But anything else and it won't. I've noticed this myself.

However because of that it's more complicated than simply introducing the desktop resolution setting thingy. I think it could be added to the GS window tab with little effort, but if we are really out to improve image quality I agree with dreadmoth - the scaling method should be improved. At least to bicubic or possibly lanczos. Of course, lanczos has a decent performance hit. IDK if it can be done on the GPU? Edit: Yeah it can apparently.

i just noticed i put Exclusive Fullscreen at thend of that I ment to put "Emulated Fullscreen=Boarderless Fullscreen=Fullscreen (windowed)= samething* " i fixed that,

Rather see the graphical issues in scaling fix before anything else, 2x already look better then what it original looked like on ps2 going higher just makes look that much better are there better scaling methods yes? they general also more demanding too, imo there nothing wrong with scaling method. it does what was ment to do, which was make the games look better then they original did on ps2
That's not the scaling method we are talking about.

We are talking about the one that makes e.g. an 1024x996 image go onto your 1920x1080 screen or 800x600 window etc.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(12-25-2015, 04:06 AM)shinra358 Wrote: I would like to request the option

I understand your request, but this is not needed. You can achieve the same effect by increasing internal resolution, and then running a blur filter as a shader.
(12-27-2015, 05:16 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: That's not the scaling method we are talking about.

We are talking about the one that makes e.g. an 1024x996 image go onto your 1920x1080 screen or 800x600 window etc.

which again why would devs want to do this that would require them to change how custom res scaling works? last i checked most want to remove that ability cause the issues it causes compared to 2,3,4x scale?

why put effort into something they want removed?