[Enhancement] Desktop Resolution
I would like to request the option of having a user configurable desktop resolution setting. Most PC games change the rez to correspond to the internal rez being used. But why? It's because it fills up the balloon more making it less shriveled. It greatly increases image quality while at the same time, helping the user to use LESS post processing effects to completely rid your image of jaggies! Pete's 2.9 gpu plugin for epsxe does this internally already. Here is the proof of concept (that works with mostly any game you have (even pc games that don't change desktop rez already):

https://mega.nz/#!DhEywASL!kLWcQoMa8y-AH...dJeb6HzCeg

Other things that you can see a significant difference in is PPSSPP, Lightning Returns Steam, and Project64 among many others that don't change the desktop rez along with the internal game rez.

Why not just work with your rez at the highest DSR rez the whole time you ask? It's because, the purpose is similar to Nvidia Optimus. Not only does doing that make everything on the desktop super small, increasing dpi to match doesn't look right, and ultimately, it is less stress on your pc to just up your desktop rez while gaming and it returning to normal while you're not.

So altogether, there would be 3 resolution settings:
-Internal Rez
-Windowed Rez
-Desktop Rez (changes windows desktop resolution to the maximum supported by your machine).
Model: Clevo P570WM Laptop
GPU: GeForce GTX 980M ~8GB GDDR5
CPU: Intel Core i7-4960X CPU +4.2GHz (12 CPUs)
Memory: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3L 1600MHz, 4x8gb

Sponsored links

Since PCSX2 uses emulated fullscreen I think this is impossible for now. Until exclusive fullscreen gets added back.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Does the term emulated fullscreen mean the same as borderless window or is that different?
Should be the same thing I think
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Lightning Returns and PPSSPP both are the same (borderless windowed). If the tool works on all of them now, how come it would be impossible?
I've tested the tool on both borderless window games and real fullscreen games and it works on both (except for the games that shrink your desktop rez to fit it when the internal rez is locked for that game (like GGXrd).
What benefit would changing the desktop resolution do for a borderless window? I guess you hope to avoid the resampling of the image?

Meanwhile in the cases of yx resolutions(2x, 3x, 4x) it couldn't be used because they are gonna be non standard resolution in most cases. In the case of the custom resolution I guess it could work, but there was already talk of removing custom resolution, though I don't know what was decided.
I just explained that and provided the tool for download. If it didn't do anything, I wouldn't have made it or spoke of how it improves the clarity of the image.

The native multipliers wouldn't make a difference. Internal rez isn't tied to the desktop rez. The user would be able to input their maximum supported rez for the desktop rez for the desktop to change to it while the game is running while the game is running on it's own internal rez via a dropdown box. Again, the tool proves what I'm saying. If a user input a value for the desktop rez higher than what their desktop supports, it would just default back to the maximum desktop rez it can go. And a user wouldn't be able to go higher than what their monitor supports because the drop down box probably wouldn't show a rez like that.

Again, the list of rezzes that would be included are:
So altogether, there would be 3 resolution settings:
-Internal Rez (custom internal rez, native rez, whatever rez you put anything to with pcsx2 that you always have been using)
-Windowed Rez (how big or small the window is when minimized to window mode)
-Desktop Rez (changes windows desktop resolution to the maximum supported by your machine).

All 3 rezzes are different and do different things.
(12-25-2015, 07:44 AM)shinra358 Wrote: Lightning Returns and PPSSPP both are the same (borderless windowed). If the tool works on all of them now, how come it would be impossible?
I've tested the tool on both borderless window games and real fullscreen games and it works on both (except for the games that shrink your desktop rez to fit it when the internal rez is locked for that game (like GGXrd).

I don't know about Lightning Returns but PPSSPP is exclusive full screen,not borderless full screen.PPSSPP uses the desktop resolution for full screen resolution.
@vsub: PPSSPP can use the fullscreen rez as the desktop rez and it can also go by it's own internal rez multipliers. If you use reshade on ppsspp or even if you don't, when you use the tool to use the dsr resolutions, you will notice that the menu (or the reshade initiation words) will be noticably smaller. That's how you'll know it's doing its thing. And once you go in game, you'll see the difference between upping the internal rez + staying on 1080p vs upping the internal rez + using dsr rez. You would take notice that far jaggies and even close ones once had, will almost be completely obliterated. While you will have a bit more jaggies shimmering around if you upped the internal rez while staying on 1080p. Whether or not you will use the desktop rez in ppsspp (which doesn't actually change the desktop rez but puts the internal rez to the current desktop rez) or just use an internal rez multiplier, you will still see a difference.

And boy oh boy, if you use project64 and play OoT with the high rez texture packs, you will notice the beauty of clarity Tongue
Also, increasing the deskop rez will enable you to use LESS post-processing effects in doing the job of getting rid of the jaggies.

A user with a 4K native monitor, wouldn't need to use this tool or this feature for he will already have the ability to do this. But since most users have just 1080p screens, this is mostly for them with the use of their dsr. I take that back, even native 4K users would be able to take advantage of using a lower rez doing other things while switching to a higher desktop rez only for gaming so that their machines wouldn't be working so hard all the time. Like what nvidia optimus does actually. Assuming those users won't already have optimus.

Whether exclusive, normal, or borderless fullscreen, it does not matter with this.
For me personally it would be of no benefit I think since I run most of my games at 4x or 5x native, which is beyond my desktop's 1080p resolution. Why would I want to reduce that image quality back down to 1080p? I don't really understand where you're getting it from that it's supposed to look better this way.

And don't we already have the option to setting it to your desktop resolution via custom res anyway? Unless I'm confusing it with something else here... then just disregard this post entirely.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)