Even with a new rig, I'm still unable to play Shadow of Colossus smoothly! :-(
It is, the K variant.

Sponsored links

My Cpus doesn't usually go above 2800mhz with a load between 16-29%. I rechecked Tekken Tag and its running Full Frames at x2 native, not sure why i had problems before. Grandturismo4 works at 60fps at x2 native res with cpu at around 2800mhz and a load that doesn't exceed 30%. Dont have any games that challenge my rig yet but admittedly i dont own Shadow of colossus.
Xenosaga episode 1 use to cause major slowdown on my old laptop, while now it has no slowdowns at x2 native res. I do use the Mtvu hack though, as it doesnt steal or lessen the cycles of the ps2 emulation and "simply" runs micro vu1 on its own core, with great fps increases

Ps be careful if you disable your cpu`s abilities to throttle itself , as its needed if ever the temp`s get to hot, its designed to throttle itself to lower clock speeds to protect itself from damage
How are you liking the Ati 6990m ? I was looking at getting a Laptop with one until i heard about the nvidia gtx560m. We should do some benchmarking and add our cards to the forum Smile
Msi GF-62VR
Intel  core i7 7700hq @2.8(3.5ghz turbo) Nvidia 6gig GTX1060 16 gigs DDr5   windows 10
*base 64 images don't work here - ref*
(02-10-2012, 08:40 PM)omnikam Wrote: My Cpus doesn't usually go above 2800mhz with a load between 16-29%. I rechecked Tekken Tag and its running Full Frames at x2 native, not sure why i had problems before. Grandturismo4 works at 60fps at x2 native res with cpu at around 2800mhz and a load that doesn't exceed 30%. Dont have any games that challenge my rig yet but admittedly i dont own Shadow of colossus.
Xenosaga episode 1 use to cause major slowdown on my old laptop, while now it has no slowdowns at x2 native res. I do use the Mtvu hack though, as it doesnt steal or lessen the cycles of the ps2 emulation and "simply" runs micro vu1 on its own core, with great fps increases

Ps be careful if you disable your cpu`s abilities to throttle itself , as its needed if ever the temp`s get to hot, its designed to throttle itself to lower clock speeds to protect itself from damage
How are you liking the Ati 6990m ? I was looking at getting a Laptop with one until i heard about the nvidia gtx560m. We should do some benchmarking and add our cards to the forum Smile

Yeah, same here, my CPU doesn't go beyond 2.4GHz even at x3 native (Dragon Quest) running full speed (o_O), other games too!
IT'S JUST THIS DAMN SHADOW OF COLOSSUS!!!! ARRRGGGH Angry (lol)
Don't know whats wrong with this game!!! but my cpu can go upto 3.3GHz with it! and yet, not butter smooth!

Anyway...

Yeah, about that, I just disable it when playing SOC only, I noticed the temps went upto 79C which is a first!

The 6990M is just amazing, easily overclockable, powerful, and cheap (compared to GTX580M) with similar performance.
Its just AMD drivers which suck, but pure power, this card delivers!
I can play Battlefield 3 @1080p (No AA, No Vsync) all Ultra smoothly Smile
My rig gets around 3600pts in 3dmark11 and around 4000pts overclocked, and for the price, it is pretty amazing for a laptop!

I believe the 560M gets around 2200pts.

Also, I got the i7-2760QM mostly for emulation Wink , there was also i7-2860QM but the performance difference was negligible, so it was not worth the extra rupees.
And there was the Almighty i7-2960XM Extreme, but that was WAY too expensive (+710$ over my 2760 O_O), this cpu is comparable to the desktop i7-2600! and thats really powerful!
My rig: Malibal P150HM - Core i7-2760QM upto 3.5GHz - 8GB DDR3 @1600MHz - ATI 6990M 2GB GDDR5 - 500GB@7200RPMNinja
79c is ok for the I7 (if its under-load, though it does seem a bit high for this game), they will auto slow down when they hit the tjmax temp around 96c but its rare for it to get that hot., you should see these temps regardless of eist if something was properly utilizing the cpu (like compiling a big program in visual studio 2010).
Just re-enable eist when your done with pcsx2 and it will operate the same as before.

anyways when your cpu is only at 2ghz have you checked the video card usage in another program? I know with my card if I use high upscaling (3x-4x) pcsx2 will show gs as a low percent but if i look in gpu-z or similar program I'd notice the core or memory is maxed out (depending on scene). this could be the main cause of your slowdown :|

(02-10-2012, 11:35 PM)hyakki Wrote: 79c is ok for the I7 (if its under-load, though it does seem a bit high for this game), they will auto slow down when they hit the tjmax temp around 96c but its rare for it to get that hot., you should see these temps regardless of eist if something was properly utilizing the cpu (like compiling a big program in visual studio 2010).
Just re-enable eist when your done with pcsx2 and it will operate the same as before.

anyways when your cpu is only at 2ghz have you checked the video card usage in another program? I know with my card if I use high upscaling (3x-4x) pcsx2 will show gs as a low percent but if i look in gpu-z or similar program I'd notice the core or memory is maxed out (depending on scene). this could be the main cause of your slowdown :|

Thats another good point Smile

I used GPU-Z to observe the GPU load, while fighting colossus 10 (the snake in the sand), at x2 upscaling, the GPU load was 50-60% (note: CPU speed was 2.4GHz).
The FPS was 45-55FPS (mostly 45).

I still think it is the CPU!
My rig: Malibal P150HM - Core i7-2760QM upto 3.5GHz - 8GB DDR3 @1600MHz - ATI 6990M 2GB GDDR5 - 500GB@7200RPMNinja
@Ahmed_p800 Wow thats a lot of power for emulation, and yes your right the 6990 is very fast, has but has less shaders than a 580m. Still an impressive beast you have Smile
Have you tried turning on the Mtvu hack? You will defiantly notice the difference( well maybe not with such a rig as yours )
Msi GF-62VR
Intel  core i7 7700hq @2.8(3.5ghz turbo) Nvidia 6gig GTX1060 16 gigs DDr5   windows 10
*base 64 images don't work here - ref*
(02-10-2012, 09:37 PM)ahmed_p800 Wrote: Yeah, same here, my CPU doesn't go beyond 2.4GHz even at x3 native (Dragon Quest) running full speed (o_O), other games too!

Makes perfect sense.
If your CPU is already fast enough for 60fps @ 2.4Ghz for the given game, then it will not boost (it doesn't need to).

Likewise-- turn off the framelimiter in those cases, and you may push your processor into Turbo.

BTW - Omnikam's i7-2670QM only hits 2.8Ghz because it's never reaching it's 2-core boost (of 3.0Ghz). This does happen with some, and is likely due to Windows 7 spreading the PCSX2 load around all cores (mine does this).

Your CPU doesn't have a Turbo for 3.3Ghz.
It's base rate is 2.4Ghz. With EIST disabled, it will never down-clock below that. It will run hotter in general due to this, and consume more power.

The first possible boost disables HT, and puts you at 3.2Ghz on 4 cores.
Also just 3.2Ghz if a large load is only on 3 cores.

The next boost (and last possible with PCSX2) is on 2 cores, and puts it at 3.4Ghz.

You will never see the single core boost from PCSX2.
If you actually are, it could be a bad thing.
Since PCSX2 runs especially slower on 1 core.

On the topic at hand, it's already been said here by others, and I've repeated it enough times on these forums.

Shadow of the Colossus is different!

The game was quirky, even on the PS2.
Emulating it with PCSX2 shows a unique behavior from other games.

It's definitely not the fault of the hardware. I see no gains in times of troubled FPS with the game as I make my way upt to 5Ghz. But, if I decide to enable the one hack (and just that one), the FPS immediately doubles.

Yes-- SotC needs (just a little) VU Cycle Stealing for PCSX2 to emulate it fast enough for full speed. As far as I recall, MTVU can be detrimental to this game's performance.

"Full speed".

There's another quirk.
Even with a steady 60fps, which is not "broken" in the same way possible through excessive Speedhacks, the game doesn't feel like a real 60fps.

If you want it to feel more appropriate, utilize the VU Cycle Stealing, set the Turbo Adjust in the GS tab of the Emulation Settings to around 150% (based on preference). Use the Tab key to toggle the Turbo mode of PCSX2 while in-game.

That's the best you'll get out of SotC with PCSX2.
Again-- It's not the hardware's fault.
Emulating this particular game is just different.
We're probably lucky it even runs at all. Smile
(02-11-2012, 01:13 AM)omnikam Wrote: @Ahmed_p800 Wow thats a lot of power for emulation, and yes your right the 6990 is very fast, has but has less shaders than a 580m. Still an impressive beast you have Smile
Have you tried turning on the Mtvu hack? You will defiantly notice the difference( well maybe not with such a rig as yours )

Yeah, im planning to keep if for few years (my last G50VT stayed 3yrs - C2D - 9800mGS), this should last min 3yrs too!
You see, 6990M VS 580M is also negligible, they both perform similarly in almost all games and benchmarks too, and yet, the 580M is way more expensive!
The only thing I prefer in Nvidia is the drivers and the optimization, nvidia is better here.
And yes, Mtvu is checked!

(02-11-2012, 01:18 AM)Rezard Wrote: Makes perfect sense.
If your CPU is already fast enough for 60fps @ 2.4Ghz for the given game, then it will not boost (it doesn't need to).
Likewise-- turn off the framelimiter in those cases, and you may push your processor into Turbo.
BTW - Omnikam's i7-2670QM only hits 2.8Ghz because it's never reaching it's 2-core boost (of 3.0Ghz). This does happen with some, and is likely due to Windows 7 spreading the PCSX2 load around all cores (mine does this).
Your CPU doesn't have a Turbo for 3.3Ghz.
It's base rate is 2.4Ghz. With EIST disabled, it will never down-clock below that. It will run hotter in general due to this, and consume more power.
The first possible boost disables HT, and puts you at 3.2Ghz on 4 cores.
Also just 3.2Ghz if a large load is only on 3 cores.
The next boost (and last possible with PCSX2) is on 2 cores, and puts it at 3.4Ghz.
You will never see the single core boost from PCSX2.
If you actually are, it could be a bad thing.
Since PCSX2 runs especially slower on 1 core.
On the topic at hand, it's already been said here by others, and I've repeated it enough times on these forums.
Shadow of the Colossus is different!
The game was quirky, even on the PS2.
Emulating it with PCSX2 shows a unique behavior from other games.
It's definitely not the fault of the hardware. I see no gains in times of troubled FPS with the game as I make my way upt to 5Ghz. But, if I decide to enable the one hack (and just that one), the FPS immediately doubles.
Yes-- SotC needs (just a little) VU Cycle Stealing for PCSX2 to emulate it fast enough for full speed. As far as I recall, MTVU can be detrimental to this game's performance.
"Full speed".
There's another quirk.
Even with a steady 60fps, which is not "broken" in the same way possible through excessive Speedhacks, the game doesn't feel like a real 60fps.
If you want it to feel more appropriate, utilize the VU Cycle Stealing, set the Turbo Adjust in the GS tab of the Emulation Settings to around 150% (based on preference). Use the Tab key to toggle the Turbo mode of PCSX2 while in-game.
That's the best you'll get out of SotC with PCSX2.
Again-- It's not the hardware's fault.
Emulating this particular game is just different.
We're probably lucky it even runs at all. Smile

Well, that was informative, thanks!

Not in Pcsx2, but Ive seen my CPU going upto 3.4/3.5GHz on turbo boost! so it can go up there! (mine is 2760QM).

And I know about SOC being a special case, but, how come this guy can play it at 60fps @1080p Smoooothly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmSH9dyKC0Q

I don't know what kind of rig he has (not mentioned in his videos), but it runs pretty damn smooth!
(02-11-2012, 02:14 AM)ahmed_p800 Wrote: I don't know what kind of rig he has (not mentioned in his videos), but it runs pretty damn smooth!

Videos are not realtime, it records frame for frame, so if pcsx2 doesnt produce a frame it doesnt go in the video. All we know he coulda been running at 1 frame per second.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Do keep in mind SotC has an internal frame skipping mechanism, which is probably why you get choppy gameplay even when PCSX2 thinks its at 60 fps
[Image: newsig.jpg]