Extracting raw audio from SPU2-X memory dump...
Is this possible? I compiled the dev version of PCSX2 and got a memory dump from SPU2-X while playing Kingdom Hearts. When I imported it into Audacity (22,050Hz, signed 8-bit RAW) I could hear MIDI instruments hidden underneath the noise. I guess it's just a matter of figuring out what bit rate and sample rates are being used. When I select "32Bit signed" in Audacity, I can clearly hear a half second of ambient sound without any distortion near the beginning of the dump. The rest of the MIDI instruments in there still have the noise hiding them. They sounds like synths doing 4 note scales.

Any ideas for having more success with this?
CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 260
Audio Card: ASUS Xonar DG
RAM: 4GB (2 x 2GB in Dual Channel) DDR2-800
MoBo: ASUS P5Q-WS

Sponsored links

SPU2 memory is full of indexed samples, in various formats.
What you're hearing is probably ADPCM encoded stuff. I can imagine this is audible when played back as raw audio.
To really get to the sounds, you need to know where everything is stored and then rip and decode it properly.
Note that some audio is on the IOP as well! SPU2 streams it in as needed.
Could the logging functions help me find the addresses of the samples? Or would this require more programming? Very interesting stuff here! Thanks for the reply.
CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 260
Audio Card: ASUS Xonar DG
RAM: 4GB (2 x 2GB in Dual Channel) DDR2-800
MoBo: ASUS P5Q-WS
They could help but they're hard to use.
Try the visual debugger instead. It tells you a lot of info in a nice gui Smile
I use f12 (record on GSDX) to grab sounds. then I just delete the video
(03-29-2012, 04:44 AM)Saiki Wrote: I use f12 (record on GSDX) to grab sounds. then I just delete the video

Just in case you don't know this...if you cancel while you have to choose video compressor,video file won't be create,only wav.

If the sound is not adx or there is no psf2 for download,I'll just use some sound recording program and then by carefully listening to the song,make it like there is no end to it(to not be able to find out when the audio file is actually replayed again)