FF XII (PAL) pcsx 0.9.6 hang-up when trying to save on memcard
As soon as I try to use the ingame save function of FF XII (PAL) the pcsx 0.9.6 screen goes black and the emulation loops. It doesn't crash or something, I still can load a savestate using the save function of the emulation and continue.

You may say "don't use the ingame save function", but unfortunately at some point the game saves automatically. And this is where I can't continue. I tried to switch around the configuration etc. but it's always the same. Anyone got an idea how to work around this bug?

PCSX Configuration is pretty standard, no patches, no speed hacks, with LilyPad 0.9.9 and Linuz ISO CDVD 0.8.0

System: Windows Vista 32-bit, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 3 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2660 XT (256 MB)

Sponsored links

Does the console window say something? Can you save with any other game?
UPDATE: Now I tried it on my old computer, an Athlon 64 with Windows XP. There it works. Unfortunately it is too slow for FFX12 (goes with about 30% speed), but fortunately I can use it to skip the hang-up by switching the savefiles between this two systems. So it seems to be some issue with Windows Vista probably.

@Cain Will try to save with another game.
(05-08-2009, 11:33 AM)Cain Wrote: Does the console window say something? Can you save with any other game?

The console window says nothing. I tried to save with FF X (same pcsx2 configuration as in FF XII) and there it works fine.
There seems to be a problem with saving in FFXII on Windows Vista. Someone else had the same problem and verified that they could get it working in a Windows XP machine they had and then transferred that save to the Vista machine and it worked from there on. Can't give you an answer on how to fix it, but thought I'd give you that information.
(05-08-2009, 01:14 PM)Larfin_Man Wrote: There seems to be a problem with saving in FFXII on Windows Vista. Someone else had the same problem and verified that they could get it working in a Windows XP machine they had and then transferred that save to the Vista machine and it worked from there on. Can't give you an answer on how to fix it, but thought I'd give you that information.

Confirmed. Bad if you don't have some XP machine.
Thanks.
UPDATE: There is a second forced gamesave in FF XII (before the last chapter, after defeating Cid). Here the workaround (switching between XP and Vista machine) doesn't work, both machines switch to something like nirvana online.

On the Vista machine there now is an endless short message like: "PSXUNk: 00000000" The number "00000000" is some changing hexadecimal output which is not possible to read because of the fast output. The XP machine prefers to be silent.

Someone any idea?

Advise: If you want to play Final Fantasy XII until the very end make sure ingame save function is working on your computer. Otherwise don't expect to reach the end Wink