FF12 & XP - Recommended Settings?
There's a lot of people out there that has successfully emulated FF12 to perfection. I've upgraded my CPU and GFX card to match what they use, but only managed to make the game playable rather than perfect. The reason is cause DX10 is so much more CPU-efficient than DX9. How close to perfection can I get? Perhaps you can help me out. This is what I've got.

DX: DirectX 9.0c (XP)
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ (dual core, hyperthreading, 3.2ghz)
GFX: Nvidia 8800 GTS
Game: Final Fantasy XII (PAL)
BIOS: USA 1.60
Controller: Logitech Dual Action

Fresh install of PCSX2 0.9.6. With stock settings the heavy movie sequences (intro, consul's speech, battle after first meeting balthier) are a bit choppy (a flicker every ~1-4 seconds). Shorter sequences are perfect. In-game playing is fine, although it does slow down by 5-15 frames every once in a while. Menu navigation seems slightly less responsive. I steal from every monster and am able to rapidly move through the menus to steal from the closest monster in under a second. It moves like quicksilver on the PS2, but seems to lag slightly on PCSX2.

So what do you recommend? Need any more info?

Sponsored links

Knowing your pcsx2 config would be a start. My FF12 runs at 60fps with slowdown only in highly crowded areas.
(03-14-2009, 10:25 PM)Cain Wrote: Knowing your pcsx2 config would be a start. My FF12 runs at 60fps with slowdown only in highly crowded areas.

I'm using default configs. Are you using XP? What hardware do you have? What plugins/configs do you use? That's what I'm looking for - but only if you use XP.
I'm using xp. I don't mean to be an ass, but what's the DEFAULT config? Could you please take your sweet time to post it, if you require assistance? I can't just go guessing around... By default PCSX doesn't have MGTS (unders CPU tab) enabled, you could start by doing that..
(03-14-2009, 10:50 PM)Cain Wrote: I'm using xp. I don't mean to be an ass, but what's the DEFAULT config? Could you please take your sweet time to post it, if you require assistance? I can't just go guessing around... By default PCSX doesn't have MGTS (unders CPU tab) enabled, you could start by doing that..

I suppose it was too much to ask you to describe your config. Alright, perhaps it would be more convenient if you just told me how your config differs from mine. Here you go:

Graphics: GSdx 890 (MSVC 15.00, SSE2) 0.1.14
=Resolution: Windowed (slightly faster in fullscreen 1024x768)
=Renderer: Direct3D9 (Hardware)
=Shader: Pixel Shader 2.0
=Interlacing: None
=Aspect Ratio: 4:3
=D3D internal res: 1024x1024
=NLOOP Hack: as needed
=Texture Filtering: on
=Wait vsync: off
=Enable tv-out: off
=Logarithmic Z: off
=Alpha Correction: on

Sound: SPU2-X 1.1.0
=Interpolation: 1 - Linear
=Module: 1 - XAudio2
=All Checkboxes off

Controllers: LilyPad 0.9.9
=Keyboard API: Windows Messaging
=Game Device APIs: DirectInput and XInput checked
=Mouse API: Disable
=Pad 2: Disabled

Cdvdrom: Linuz Iso CDVD 0.8.0

Cpu:
=EErec on
=VU0rec on
=VU1rec on
=MTGS on
=Frame Limiting: Limit
=Detailed Settings: zero across the board

Patches:
=I do not see any Final Fantasy XII-specific patches.

Gamefixes:
=Nothing checked

Speed Hacks:
Sync Hack: Use x2 Cycle Rate (not default)
INTC: on (not default)
Enable IOP: on (not default)

Advanced Options
=EERecs & VU Recs
==Round Mode: Chop / Zero
==Clamp Mode: Normal
==Flush to Zero: off
==Denormals are Zero: on
My config isn't that much different, except i use 1.5 Cycle Rate, 3.0 Pixel Shaders and have Logarithmic Z on. It works pretty much fine on (Core2Duo E6400 OCed to 3.2Ghz, 3gb ram, GT8800 1GB) with slowdowns only in crowded areas. Perhaps Athlon just isn't suited to run PCSX at it must.
(03-14-2009, 11:58 PM)Cain Wrote: My config isn't that much different, except i use 1.5 Cycle Rate, 3.0 Pixel Shaders and have Logarithmic Z on. It works pretty much fine on (Core2Duo E6400 OCed to 3.2Ghz, 3gb ram, GT8800 1GB) with slowdowns only in crowded areas. Perhaps Athlon just isn't suited to run PCSX at it must.

What graphics plugin do you use? I want to see if you are using better than SSE2.
I'm using GSDX ssse3, but changing it to SSE2 doesn't change performance in any way, at least I cannot tell.
Does anybody else have any recommendations as far as plugins/configuration is concerned? After all, this CPU and GPU can run the game just fine with DX10, and that was with an older version of PCSX2. So surely I can at least get rid of the flickers in heavy movie sequences?
amd= sse2 only AMD do not have SSSE3

you have the correct plugins , its just a matter of fps , to be honest the majority of games runs better on Vista and under dx10

click on the tick near the 3d3 internal res so that the 1024x1024 boxes turn grey ( that will enable NATIVE mode ) , about the flicker try to update your sound drivers

and on the frame limit , you can set them to 60 so they dont "pass" the 60 value if thats possible Tongue
CPU - [PHENOM 9950 BE 3.0 GHZ | GFX - [Evga 260GTX]
OS - [Vista 64 Business] | RAM - [4GB Gskill 1066Mhz]