FFX-2...
Hello,

First of all, I would like to apologize in advance for creating yet another FFX-2 issue topic. Although you must know I have searched a number of discussion boards - plus the official config guide - inside and out for a solution, tried dozens of different configurations, but so far to little or no avail.

Due to my FFX-2 disc malfunctioning, I had to resort to using PCSX2. The problem at hand is that FFX-2 runs at an extremely slow framerate, has frequent bright screen flashes and perpetual stuttering sound. By this, I mean not just the FMV cutscenes -- the entire game (though there's no screen flashes outside of the FMV's). It does run smoothly up to the title screen, it's only when I select "New Game" that the misery starts.

Now I understand you're going to want to see my current config and my PC setup. I've tried the setups on two computers; my desktop and my laptop, both provided generally the same result in all cases. To prevent getting the same answers I've been reading over and over Tongue2, I'll be as elaborate as possible:

HP Pavilion dv6500 Laptop Wrote:OS: Windows Vista Home Premium x32
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2310 @ 1.47 GHz
RAM: 2GB

Custom build Desktop Wrote:OS: Windows XP SP2 x32
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
Processor: Intel Pentium D CPU @ 3.20 GHz
RAM: 2GB

PCSX2 config that works best so far:

PCSX2 version 0.9.6

Graphics: GSdx 890 SSSE3 (Laptop); GSdx 890 SSE2 (Desktop)
Resolution: Windowed
Renderer: Laptop: Direct3D 10 (Hardware) |Desktop: Direct3D 9 (Hardware)
Shader (desktop only): Pixel Shader 3.0
Interlacing: Blend bff
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
D3D Internal res.: [x] Native
[x] NLOOP hack
[x] Texture filtering
(Dekstop) [x] Alpha correction (FBA)

Sound: SPU2-X 1.1.0
Interpolation: 1 - Linear
Module: 1 - XAudio 2
Latency: 160ms
All checkboxes unchecked

Cdvdrom: Gigaherz's CDVD plugin 0.7.0

CPU Config
[x] EERec - EE/IOP Compiler
[x] VU0rec
[x] VU1rec
[x] Multi threaded GS Mode (checked only on laptop)
(x) VU Skip
Custom FPS Limit: 0
Skip Frames when slower than: 0
Consecutive frames before skipping: 2
Consecutive frames to skip: 4

Speed Hacks
All checked, EE Sync Hack set to X3.

Patches turned off.

My laptop may not look like much, but I couldn't imagine my desktop not being able to run the game decently. Ergo, either I likely have bad settings or there's another problem I'm not aware of. Would anyone have an idea of what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Ah, I almost forgot. My FFX-2 ISO is NTSC, and so is the BIOS.

Sponsored links

did your processor have ssse3 instructions to execute??

i think its because of that video pluggin, i have a similar trouble, but i use no ssse instructions on a ssse 4 processor, i think that if i could use ssse4 video plugins, my ffx-2 will increase the fps speed to 60, hope you can run this hard game
Your desktop is pretty slow also, unfortunately. So there you go the cause for low fps and stuttering sound.
Is the a single core, or the first dual cores? Because they were a let down..
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.
Thank you for your replies.

@ tavo16: I'm not sure I follow you. My laptop and desktop support up to SSSE3 and SSE2 respectively (not SSE4, unfortunately T_T), if that's what you mean.

@ Cain: Hmm, I don't know. I've read numerous posts of users that had a slower processor and said they could run the game, well, I won't say perfectly, but at a decent enough rate and quality. If that is the case though, what would you reccomend? I didn't realize the PS2 was such a heavy system. O.o (Or is it just the emulator that requires so much extra power?)
(04-19-2009, 09:06 PM)Omega-Cross Wrote: Thank you for your replies.

@ tavo16: I'm not sure I follow you. My laptop and desktop support up to SSSE3 and SSE2 respectively (not SSE4, unfortunately T_T), if that's what you mean.

@ Cain: Hmm, I don't know. I've read numerous posts of users that had a slower processor and said they could run the game, well, I won't say perfectly, but at a decent enough rate and quality. If that is the case though, what would you reccomend? I didn't realize the PS2 was such a heavy system. O.o (Or is it just the emulator that requires so much extra power?)

Emulation isn't perfect.. Not at all, the actual specifications of the PS2 are low, but rule of thumb.. To emulate a console truly, it's best to have 10x the power..

I mean in reality, I class the PS3/360 low end.
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.
(04-19-2009, 09:06 PM)Omega-Cross Wrote: @ Cain: Hmm, I don't know. I've read numerous posts of users that had a slower processor and said they could run the game, well, I won't say perfectly, but at a decent enough rate and quality. If that is the case though, what would you reccomend? I didn't realize the PS2 was such a heavy system. O.o (Or is it just the emulator that requires so much extra power?)

Well, to put it simple, emulation, especially not perfect one, requires a way better hardware than original. Because not only your computer is supposed to do what it's not meant to, but it also has to do it at a decent speed Smile

You also didn't specify what exactly is your problem. "Very slow" is pretty vague, you know. But yeah, I think the problem is your specs.