FFX Settings (help)
Hello, first of all I'm going to say that I am new in the community and just downloaded and experimenting the PCSX2 to get my FFX running properly, because that will most-likely be the only game I am going to play on the emulator.

I'm not that good with this computer stuff, because I have never used emulators before and to be honest, all those plugin settings and stuff are creeping me out, because I cannot get my settings set up properly in order to get a decent stable FPS.

My computer:
MSI GX660
Intel i5-460m CPU (2,53GHz - 2,8 in turbo mode)
ATI HD5870 mobility (1gb GDDR5) GPU
4GB (2x2gb) RAM

i've looked around for some tutorials and videos around youtube etc and i keep finding videos, where the CPU is not as good as mine, although the FPS is 60.000 stable. What mine does, is that it is around ~50 half of the time and often wanders around 30-40, which is really annoying due to the lagging effect it produces..

Thank you for your attention,
ChillY

Sponsored links

Post your settings and plugins and your pcsx2 version. If you have the latest beta the game should run fine on default settings but there are a couple of things you can do to speed things up. First change to SuperVU recompiler under the VUs tag, you can also set clamping mode to none under VUs and EE/IOP(although I dont think this setting is combatible throughout the game). FFX is also quite speedhack friendly, so use all of the recommended speedhacks and try increasing the VU cyclestealing and EE cyclerate hacks by 1 or 2 ticks. Also if you are running from a disc try ripping it to an iso as this is more stable.
Specs:
CPU: C2D E8400 @ 3.6
GPU: GTX 560Ti 2Gb
MOB: Asus P5QL
RAM: Crucial 4Gb
(04-08-2011, 08:49 PM)GamerGeek Wrote: Post your settings and plugins and your pcsx2 version. If you have the latest beta the game should run fine on default settings but there are a couple of things you can do to speed things up. First change to SuperVU recompiler under the VUs tag, you can also set clamping mode to none under VUs and EE/IOP(although I dont think this setting is combatible throughout the game). FFX is also quite speedhack friendly, so use all of the recommended speedhacks and try increasing the VU cyclestealing and EE cyclerate hacks by 1 or 2 ticks. Also if you are running from a disc try ripping it to an iso as this is more stable.

Tried that right a few minutes ago and still getting 40 stable as I am roaming around on besaid island with no fights etc... Did the pictures of the settings, which I also just changed. here they are.

you can see the plugins from the Components picture and the version of the PCSX2 is 0.9.7.r3876 although the .exe file clearly shows .r3878 (latest beta version anyways, downloaded yesterday..

edit: getting quite unstable FPS now (30 to 90 sometimes)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

What do the EE/GS% numbers in the gaem window say when you get slowdows, and can you check with an app like CoreTemp or CPU-Z what core speed/frequency does the CPU run at while playing?
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Since your using a laptop you should also check you dont have any power saving features on.
Specs:
CPU: C2D E8400 @ 3.6
GPU: GTX 560Ti 2Gb
MOB: Asus P5QL
RAM: Crucial 4Gb
Didn't have any power saving features on, although...

I ran CPU-Z while playing and i noticed that as my laptop is on "turbo mode" then my cpu core speed only reached around 1,6GHz, which was obviously the problem. I tried taking it off and set my "Gaming ECO mode on" (MSI users should know) and surprisingly that boosted my CPU to run at 2,8GHz, which immideatelly solved my problem and the FPS is now 50 stable (+/- 0.1 FPS). Also reconfigured some of the settings and now it runs perfect!

EE used to be 90+, but now im getting 30-40% mostly and rarely any higher numbers. GS is stable around 1-15%

(If someone is having the same kind of trouble with a similar CPU, please - don't hesitate to ask me for my settings, I can share them Smile )
Thank you, everyone, for your kind assistance Smile !!
ChillY