FFXII: Extremely Low fps issue
Hello! Well, for starter's I'd like to say that even though I earned my brown mark of shame on the side there by breaking rule 1, I have started to acquire games legitimately using ImgBurn. Just to prove it so I am not refused aid, I am including a screenshot of me using ImgBurn to grab the iso from my FFXII disk.
IMG 1

Now, umm my problem is that during gameplay and certain non-CG cutscenes, my fps plummets to 7 - 24. Which makes the game just about unplayable, because cutscenes are everything is quite literally in slow motion. Also, the game crashes from time to time and I recieve this error report:
IMG 2
I have never seen this one before running PCSX2 nor am I sure what it means.

I am using just about all default settings here. And as for system information, I'm somewhat clueless except to say that I have Windows XP, about 1GB of RAM, and 2.999 ghz. That's pretty much all I know about my own computer =/ sorry if it isn't much to go on.

Any ideas on what I can do to solve this problem?
Any help is much appreciated Smile

Sponsored links

by the fact your FPS plummets, my first guess would be your graphics card is overheating.

cany ou get GPU-Z and watch the "Sensors" tab which should have the temp on it, while you play FFXII
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(01-10-2013, 11:50 PM)refraction Wrote: by the fact your FPS plummets, my first guess would be your graphics card is overheating.

cany ou get GPU-Z and watch the "Sensors" tab which should have the temp on it, while you play FFXII

Okay, I gave that a try! No idea if I used the GPU-Z tool right, but nothing actually changed between the time that I opened it (pre-play) and the fps plummet during gameplay.
These were the values in the sensor tab the whole time

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

OH! Hold on, this could be an issue here.
When I try to play around with some of the settings (particularly Config > Video > Plugins) what happens is that the log occasionally tells me that I'm missing plugins and the system is inoperable. But this only happens from time to time. Could this be the problem here?

Code:
GS plugin failed to open!(thread:MTGS)(SaveSinglePlugin)
User-canceled plugin configuration after plugin initialization failure.  Plugins unloaded.
This is the emulog message that appears when this happens.
hmm,, what version of pcsx2 are you using?

Im also wondering if something is unstable on your system as the emulator is very unlikely to be causing driver crashes.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(01-11-2013, 01:02 AM)refraction Wrote: hmm,, what version of pcsx2 are you using?

Im also wondering if something is unstable on your system as the emulator is very unlikely to be causing driver crashes.

I'm using PCSX2 0.9.8, I had 1.0.0 before, but I downgraded to this one because on 1.0.0 my FF12 froze consistently on one spot. I decided to do that after I read in the FAQ that some things are compatible with older versions and not newer ones.

That could very well be, but that means the question is what exactly is doing that :o
Try using the newer SVNs and seeing if it still happens
(01-11-2013, 01:31 AM)Topken Wrote: Try using the newer SVNs and seeing if it still happens

Sorry umm... what is an SVN and how can I try it? I am clueless about most of this stuff...
(01-11-2013, 02:12 AM)Lexaus Wrote: Sorry umm... what is an SVN and how can I try it? I am clueless about most of this stuff...

Get it from the PCSX2 main site (you can get there from the top left button at this forum page). From there "Downloads" and you should see SVN there.

There is a bot compiling a relatively recent version, get the last.

PS: (If on Vista and later) IMPORTANT, don't install PCSX2 at C:\Program Files, actually do not instal Any game at those specially protected folders.

Create one yourself at C: or even another partition. You wont regret it.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(01-11-2013, 02:53 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: Get it from the PCSX2 main site (you can get there from the top left button at this forum page). From there "Downloads" and you should see SVN there.

There is a bot compiling a relatively recent version, get the last.

PS: (If on Vista and later) IMPORTANT, don't install PCSX2 at C:\Program Files, actually do not instal Any game at those specially protected folders.

Create one yourself at C: or even another partition. You wont regret it.

Ahh, I'm on XP so I guess that's not a problem(?)

I see! Okay, will do! And what do I do with it after downloading? Or does it just kinda sort itself out?
Oh. This very closely resembles the program files already installed :o Soooo I need this "Microsoft Visual C++" thing?
(01-11-2013, 03:04 AM)Lexaus Wrote: Ahh, I'm on XP so I guess that's not a problem(?)

I see! Okay, will do! And what do I do with it after downloading? Or does it just kinda sort itself out?
Oh. This very closely resembles the program files already installed :o Soooo I need this "Microsoft Visual C++" thing?

Since is XP, no problem installing at C:\Program files.

No C++ needed, those versions at the SVN are precompiled, still you will need the latest directx 9.0c from MS.

My advice is getting the stable version, which have an install that will prompt you to that upgrade from MS and will create the base where you can just merge the SVN later on. That will grant no files will be missing or dependencies unsatisfied.
Imagination is where we are truly real