FFXII FPS Problems
Hey guys,

I recently downloaded PCSX2 v 1.0.0 and am having a few FPS slowdown issues with Final Fantasy XII.

Here's a screenshot of my specs (please excuse the non-1337ness of my rig):

[Image: specsy.jpg]

I'm not sure if my problem is that I'm not overclocking or using speedhacks, but I have experimented with a number of combinations of settings to see if I could fix it myself.

As they say, try first, ask later--so I'm asking, heh.

I reverted my settings back to Default, and honestly the only real problems I'm having is a slash in the FPS. Instead of 60 FPS for NTSC I'm seeing around ~30--many times even lesser--during FFXII's cutscenes and dialogue scenes.

[Image: ffxii.jpg]

I've ascertained that when using a computer such as mine that speedhacks are highly recommended, and I've tried each one...but nothing seems to help.

I'm sure many of you already know the default settings for PCSX v1.0.0 but here they are just in case:

EE/IOP
[Image: eeiop.jpg]

VUs
[Image: vusr.jpg]

GS
[Image: 32957830.jpg]

Speedhacks
[Image: speedhackse.jpg]

If you guys need any more information let me know--this is the first time I've posted on the forums so I'm not 100% used to it...but I have read many FFXII help threads to no avail.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored links

Start by enabling recommended speedhacks
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
set EE Cyclerate to 2 and VU cycle stealing to 1.
in gsdx tick native resolution
Hmmm I tried ticking the Recommended speedhacks and it didn't help so much. And I've tried the presets as well.

Just wondering...do I have to reset the program each time I make a change in settings, or does it apply automatically?
it will apply automatically
Okay good.

@theodore7 do you mean selecting "Recompiler" under EmotionEngine under the EE/IOP tab?

Also with the VU cycle stealing...is that the first selection (Interpreter) within the VU0 or VU1.

Just a bit confusing, heh. I'm still new to PS2 emulation. It's much more complex than PSX and whatnot >.<
I mean under the speedhacks for both
Your CPU isn't good enough for anything over 32-35fps on that game, combining that with Vista and a not that good GPU you get weird slowdowns here and there. FFXII needs atleast 3.2 Ghz-ish CPU to run at normal speed. BTW enabling the CRC hacks that remove the special effects (sometimes annoying if you ask me) you could get like a 6-9 fps advantage here and there but miracles don't happen... Sad
The settings are applied immediately, even if the game itself is running. Things you can do:
  • Use native resolution. Your video card is too weak.
  • Set both EE/IOP and VUs Clamping Modes to 'None'. (I never do it Ninja)
  • Enable all recommended speedhacks.
  • Try enabling and disabling MTVU and see which is better.
  • Mess with EE Cycle Rate and VU Cycle Stealing and see. (I never use them as well, except when I play GoW)
Don't expect you can get 60 FPs. For your information, my laptop is better than yours (Phenom II X4 N930 @ 2.0 Ghz & Mobility Radeon HD 4570) but I only got 55 FPS in the opening scene of FFXII according to my test result 7, 8 months ago. I hear PCSX2 1.0 has some minor speed improvement, but I don't expect it much to be honest.
I'll try the options, thanks for the speedy responses.

Are all PS2 games out of my league, or just ones like FFX-XII, etc?