FMV's in FFX
Hey guys. LOVE the emulator, works phenomenally!

Quick question for the tech support gurus.
I've been playing FFX, game is running great. (Text boxes are a tiny bit wonky, but I think that's cuz I over stretched the resolution. I'll deal with a bit of text wonkyness for how great the rest of the game looks.)
My only complaint is I'm getting a strobe effect during the FMVs.
More specifically, when the game actually has a "scene break" and goes into an FMV, it works fine. But when it quick jumps into an FMV (for ex, the character intro movies, Seymour's Summon during the blitzball tournament, etc) I get a strobe affect that flashes very rapidly between the last moment of the in-game graphics and the FMV, making it literally unwatchable. Is there a setting I'm missing that's causing this?

One other thing, and this one isn't as big a deal, I can deal with it if there's no known fix, but whenever I use an ability like Cheer, or Jinx, etc, the game slows down just a hair, then catches back up again; in addition, the emulator itself randomly freezes for a second or two every now and then.

My system should be able to handle this, not sure why I'm having these problems. I'm running
AMD - 8core @ 3.6ghz
16g RAM
NVidia GTX 580 @ 772mhz (gpu) and 1544mhz (processor)
Win 7 home premium

Thanks in advance for the help!

Sponsored links

Enable "FFX videos fix" in Game Fixes?
(10-09-2013, 10:21 PM)devina40 Wrote: Enable "FFX videos fix" in Game Fixes?

Will that overwrite the auto fixes already enabled?
Actually having both fixes on seems to have fixed all of the above mentioned issues! Thank you!
I didn't realize you could have both on at the same time.

Thanks again.
It's best to just set the game fixes to 'Automatic'. The emu would detect which game you're playing and assign gamefixes as necessary. Sometimes it doesn't autodetect though (like the Koei Warriors games, the FMV's usually have the strobe light glitch or other anomalies, so you'd have to enable it manually.)
(10-09-2013, 11:04 PM)Letanius Wrote: Actually having both fixes on seems to have fixed all of the above mentioned issues! Thank you!
I didn't realize you could have both on at the same time.

Thanks again.

If it's applied by the automatic fixes, then it can't be overridden.

However, as noted, sometimes the game is not identified (because it doesn't appear at the DB or because your DVD has another serial number for some reason).

You could check out GamesIndex.dbf at the same directory as pcsx2 (open it with notepad), and see if the serial number at the dbf file matches the serial on the emulator console when you boot the game, and if that serial number has a fix at the dbf file.

If something doesn't match, let us know and we'll update the DB.

Thanks.
Random question:

If there's a game fix that fixes a game (and has no known side effects), why isn't it just integrated into the main part of PCSX2 automatically, rather than a checkbox? I wonder if the FFX video fix, for example, fixes anything else.
The "FFX video fix" gamefix doesn't handle this problem. I'm puzzled why it works anyway Tongue2
The gamefix once changed some IPU timing to make the game happy but that isn't needed anymore.
(10-10-2013, 09:10 AM)devina40 Wrote: If there's a game fix that fixes a game (and has no known side effects), why isn't it just integrated into the main part of PCSX2 automatically, rather than a checkbox? I wonder if the FFX video fix, for example, fixes anything else.

Because it's easier to maintain and test with a separate config/db file, and easier to remove if the fix isn't needed anymore, and doesn't need a re-compilation of PCSX2 for fixes changes.

GSdx, for instance, does it within the code itself ("CRC hacks" - which are based on CRC rather than on serial numbers) rather than in a config file. But CRC hacks are more complex than games db fixes since they contain actual code logic which is much harder to implement as an external file (it would have to use some script interpreter and it's probably isn't worth it). However, it is indeed harder to maintain.
(10-10-2013, 09:20 AM)rama Wrote: The gamefix once changed some IPU timing to make the game happy but that isn't needed anymore.
If its not needed anymore then why is it still included? Assuming that when Letanius mentioned applying "both fixes fixed it for him", he didn't try it with "FFX video fix" disabled and only the other fix.

If it only works for him with both fixes applied than its of course justified to leave the option included.