FPS Settings help please?
I'm fairly familiar with emulators, and just recently started to use psone and ps2 emulators. i'm having a bit of trouble getting a few games to work on my laptop, and am wondering what steps i can take or settings i can change to get most of them to work (preferably without upgrading my system). I have a completely stock hp 2000(windows 8) that will run the STEAM version of Arkham Asylum with little to no lag, if that says anything. I also know my graphics card is an AMD radeon. I know settings vary by game, but would still like a few lists to refer to while setting up the following games. All fps measurements are with sound disabled. All are currently running off discs.

Kingdom Hearts II (running 18 fps max currently)
Sonic Unleashed (running anywhere from 15-35 fps during gameplay)
Shadow of the colossus (gets up to 15 fps if i'm lucky)
dot hack gu volumes 1-3 (have not tried these yet, as i just got them and want to experience them properly)
FF7 Dirge of Cerberus (got up to 25 once in opening movie, after that it bottomed out)

Also, if you'd rather suggest games that might not be so taxing on my fps, feel free to do so. I'll be hitting gamestop over the next few months to expand my collection.

Thank you in advance for your help

Sponsored links

In order to help you further with your problem, please make sure the following are all provided.
  • Your hardware specs - CPU, Graphics Card, Memory, Operating System.
  • The version of PCSX2 you are using.
  • Any non default settings you are using.
  • What games you are trying to play and if you are playing them from ISO or DVD.

Thank You.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(09-10-2013, 11:24 AM)jesalvein Wrote: In order to help you further with your problem, please make sure the following are all provided.
  • Your hardware specs - CPU, Graphics Card, Memory, Operating System.
  • The version of PCSX2 you are using.
  • Any non default settings you are using.
  • What games you are trying to play and if you are playing them from ISO or DVD.

Thank You.

if you had read my post, you'd see that the majority of that is listed. i read the rules. i gave all the information i knew at the time. since apparently threads are no longer based on READING IN FULL, here is what it says on the side of the box, verbatim.

HP 2000
2000-2b09WM
AMD dual-core processor e-300 (1.3 GHz)
320 GB Hard Drive
2048MB DDR3 SDRAM
DVD optical drive
Windows 8
15.6" Diagonal HD BrightView LED Display
WLAN

and while i have no idea what the series is, it has the same ATI RADEON that came in it.
What 1.3ghz no way you can increase fps.
Core i3 9100f 3.6Ghz
RAM=8GB
nvidia GT 1030
pcsx2 version-1.3.1  
(09-10-2013, 03:35 PM)Brock lessner Wrote: What 1.3ghz no way you can increase fps.

there has to be some way, because i can run arkham, which was designed to perform on PS3 and 360, just fine
I'm not looking to have it run exactly like on ps2, just where it doesn't take 15 minutes to take five steps.
I think that this should be possible on pcsx2 v1.0. if i have to track down a beta, i will.
(09-10-2013, 03:37 PM)cloudtheavenger Wrote: there has to be some way, because i can run arkham, which was designed to perform on PS3 and 360, just fine
I'm not looking to have it run exactly like on ps2, just where it doesn't take 15 minutes to take five steps.
I think that this should be possible on pcsx2 v1.0. if i have to track down a beta, i will.

buddy first of all dont compaire pc version to an emulator or what we say pc native games to pcsx2 one its totally diffrent, now i gave you some tricks to improve fps, first of all use native resolution, goto sounds plugin and tick disable effacts, then enable frameskiping .
Core i3 9100f 3.6Ghz
RAM=8GB
nvidia GT 1030
pcsx2 version-1.3.1  
ok, while i understand pc native and emulation are not the same, i'm saying that the graphics and processing power of a ps2 do not exceed 1.3GHz by much, and while the ps2 may be exclusively running the game with its computing power, i should still be able to play some of my games with minimal slowdown. i tried what you suggested and shadow of colossus and KH2 both dropped to 5 fps max. so there are some advanced setting configurations that exist to make these games run decently. i have found posts on other sites where people with older and worse computers than me can run sonic at a constant 50-60 fps. in short, frame skipping makes it worse.
Why don't make sticky thread about emulate game vs pc game? So there won't be argue. Because most people don't understand it
Im sorry i often misstype because im using cellphone...Y( '',)Y
(09-10-2013, 03:32 PM)cloudtheavenger Wrote: if you had read my post, you'd see that the majority of that is listed. i read the rules. i gave all the information i knew at the time. since apparently threads are no longer based on READING IN FULL, here is what it says on the side of the box, verbatim.
Whoa easy, kiddo.
I asked you to list your full specs, not just say you have a random HP machine and a radeon-I-dont-know-which one.
you could have at least used something like speccy or even run a dxdiag...some basic operations anyone knows.
BTW tell me where in your first post you actually said which version of pcsx2 you are using, and which settings you actually tried ???

anyways, as brock said, a dual core @1.3 ghz won't help you, and I guess you GPU must be quite weak too.

you can try some speedhacks, but I doubt you'll reach playable speeds in any of the game you mentioned. (even if those aren't known to be very demanding)
Better keep playing them on your PS2 for now...

and of, course, comparing emulated games to native pc games is a complete nonsense...

Quote:so there are some advanced setting configurations that exist to make these games run decently. i have found posts on other sites where people with older and worse computers than me can run sonic at a constant 50-60 fps
why don't you ask them which settings they used, then ? Since you seem to be sure it can work, please tell us how to do.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
i'm starting to see that this was a waste of time. because not "everyone" knows how to run dxdiag or speccy. i have no idea what those even are. i didn't post what version i was using because i thought most people WHO JUST STARTED EMULATING PS2 would be on v1.0. i was stating that my computer has the ability to run it. not saying they are the same. i thought it might give some insight as to what my machine is capable of. But, as is the norm with me and forums, this is being treated as a "have you tried turning it off, then on again" issue. the sites i found were 2-3 years old, with completely closed threads, so "asking for the settings they used" isn't possible. hence, why I tried here.

Not to mention, I don't appreciate how most of the users of power pc's treat those of us on a budget trying to make due. I wouldn't be bothering to try to emulate them if my PS2 were in any shape to play them. So much for common sense. I have told you what I have, and, I would think that being a "registered IT crowd" would mean you actually had some access to useful information. So, Jesalvein, since you are giving me a headache worse than when i get transferred to sri lanka for tech support, kindly get off my thread.