Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FPS TALK
I don't know much about Frames Per second (FPS). I know for video games, 60fps is what? the Max?

Can you see a difference between playing something at 30fps and 60fps?
Windows 7 - Asus G73jh-a1 - 17-720qm @ 1.6 GHz (2.8 GHz)(2.4ghz)(1.73ghz) - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 @ 700/1000 (sometimes oc to 800/1100) - 8 gig ram

Sponsored links

it has more to do with the actual fps the game was designed for,so if the game was designed for 60 fps,anything less than that you could notice it.Same applies for games designed to run under 30 fps
[Image: 2ymccqu.jpg]
[Image: 17715.png]
What sense, console games, or PC games?
Console games are rendered to run at x FPS, whereas PC games varies.
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.
As the others said, how consoles and PC's handle FPS are very different. Consoles are locked at a certain framerate, so if you force it slower or faster the game "time" appears to pass slower/faster. Physics slows, animations, everything.

PCs handle it differently. It doesn't matter if you're running 30FPS or 60, the same amount of game "time" will pass in the same amount of real time. Running at low FPS can make the game choppy, but there's very little to gain from running higher than your monitor's refresh rate. The only real advantage I can think of is it creates a buffer between you and choppy-ness, so if you suddenly take a 30FPS hit because of something else you never notice it.

Why do I get the feeling this is going to segue into arguing over the maximum FPS your eye can see? Tongue

e: Can't believe I forgot to mention: None of this is set in stone! There are PC games that try to have fixed framerates (some old DOS games, for example) and there are console games that have a variable framerate. The old DOS games are my favorite, they are literally unplayable unless you artificially slow them down.
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi
so consoles are at a fixed rate while pc games varies. That makes since. I hate to bring up crysis, but I was watching a video of someone playing between 18-24fps on their laptop (AA on). From looking at it, it played pretty well. As it dropped from 30 to 15, I still didn't notice anything significant. So I'm guessing crysis is made to run at 30 fps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsAu71-2d...r_embedded
Windows 7 - Asus G73jh-a1 - 17-720qm @ 1.6 GHz (2.8 GHz)(2.4ghz)(1.73ghz) - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 @ 700/1000 (sometimes oc to 800/1100) - 8 gig ram
(02-21-2010, 09:28 PM)Xellon Wrote: so consoles are at a fixed rate while pc games varies. That makes since. I hate to bring up crysis, but I was watching a video of someone playing between 18-24fps on their laptop (AA on). From looking at it, it played pretty well. As it dropped from 30 to 15, I still didn't notice anything significant. So I'm guessing crysis is made to run at 30 fps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsAu71-2d...r_embedded

No. The more frames Crysis can render in a second, the smoother the video will look. That's the only difference you'd see. The game isn't designed to run at any set framerate, if it was then going 30 -> 15 you'd see the game speed be cut in half.
If you get really low (<10 FPS) you start to perceive the individual frames and not a fluent video. It'll look jerky and strange, but still the same speed of gameplay.

All that video shows is the dude's hardware couldn't run it any faster than 30FPS. Better hardware would give a better max framerate.
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi
(02-21-2010, 09:28 PM)Xellon Wrote: So I'm guessing crysis is made to run at 30 fps?

I think crysis is made to run at 15 FPS with a med-end system. 30 FPS if you have the ultimate gaming rig Tongue Game's very poorly optmized imo...
[Image: fs.png]
Q9550 @ 3,33GHz Ninja
HD 3850
Normal people can perceive from 30-35 FPS.
Slower = you being able to see individual frames.
Higher = same as seeing 30-35 FPS.
Most console games have the game time based on FPS, so if the game is supposed to run at 60 FPS and it's running at 40-50, thiiinnnggsss wiiiillll ssooouuunndd liiikkeee ttthhiiss.
But if it's running higher than 60 FPS, thiswillstarttosoundlikethis.
PC games are different, most games have a separate mechanism for time, so even if your FPS is 30, it's still normal like this. Like wise, if it is 200, it's still normal like this.
However, if FPS starts to drop below 30, you will start seeing individual frames, which causes that stuttering/choppy effect.
On the other hand, if the FPS is higher than your monitor's refresh rate, you will start seeing something like this.
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!
(02-22-2010, 03:54 AM)dr_thrax Wrote: Normal people can perceive from 30-35 FPS.
Slower = you being able to see individual frames.
Higher = same as seeing 30-35 FPS.
Most console games have the game time based on FPS, so if the game is supposed to run at 60 FPS and it's running at 40-50, thiiinnnggsss wiiiillll ssooouuunndd liiikkeee ttthhiiss.
But if it's running higher than 60 FPS, thiswillstarttosoundlikethis.
PC games are different, most games have a separate mechanism for time, so even if your FPS is 30, it's still normal like this. Like wise, if it is 200, it's still normal like this.
However, if FPS starts to drop below 30, you will start seeing individual frames, which causes that stuttering/choppy effect.
On the other hand, if the FPS is higher than your monitor's refresh rate, you will start seeing something like this.
Wrong WRONG wrong Wrong WRONG wrong!
seriously why do people keep repeating this old myth? Stop beliving everything that you "hear somewhere" and start checking if what you heard is really true.

http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_ca...ns_see.htm read this if you are interested

here is the short version:
PEOPLE CAN SEE MUCH MORE THAN 35 FPS! And they dont even need to be supermans to be able to do this. Tests showed that people can notice picture that was flashed for only 1/220th of second.

Personaly for me, everything that is below 40fps is unplayable slideshow but still i can easily notice difference between 40-50, 50-60, 60-70, 70-80, 80-90, 90-100fps, the more fps, the more fluid animation is.
couldnt test it higher because my old CRT max refresh rate is 100hz.

Also, consoles frame rate is not fixed ( emulators frame rate is ), have you ever played SotC? Or one of the new ps2 naruto games that barely render 30fps?
Check my profile for hardware/software and games i played on PCSX2.
...m'kay
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!