Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FRAPS
I downloaded FRAPS so that I could record some random things out of COD4 because I'm making a joke vid with my mates at school (Call of Oswestry xD) which I will give the link to for youtube when its done in like 5-6 weeks.

But anyway I noticed when recording that for the IW and Activision logos it was a tad laggy and fps dropped a bit. Fair enough, I've heard using FRAPS slows it so I turned the graphics options down but it made it slower Lolz.

Furthermore what got me was I tried it on an old game to compare (Mafia 1) and I got max 2fps Lol? Given on COD4 I could get 55fps max. Is there a way to speed it up?
CPU: i9 20Ghz 40-core
GPU: GTX 129000 in Octo-SLI
RAM: 64GB DDREKT69
Monitor: 800x600 15" CRT

Sponsored links

Some people keep having problems with FRAPs for some reason. If you want the recordings to be smooth, then why not use the built-in recorders and avoid the problems with FRAPs.

I don't know why you are getting those weird problems since the higher the GPU settings, the more FRAPs will pound your computer.
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.6Ghz
6GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia 275 GTX Co-Op
HDD 2x750GB Raid 0
Mobo - Asus P6T
OCZ Game XStream 700W
Window 7 Ultimate
FRAPS is most limited by CPU and Hard Drive speeds as it losslessly encodes each frame during capture and saves it to disk. This creates huge files as I am sure you are aware, and they are being encoded and written to disk in real time, putting quite a strain on the CPU and mechanical hard drives.

Resolution is the only graphics option that should affect it a lot, but I suppose anything which increases VRAM usage such as anti-aliasing and texture detail will have some impact on framerate, as what FRAPS does is hooks DirectX or OpenGL so that whenever it refreshes the screen the contents of the frame buffer are saved to an image or movie.

The only way to speed it up (assuming your computer can run the game fine as it is) is a CPU upgrade and replacing your hard drive with an SSD. Unless you make money from machinima, it's probably not worth it.

As for the problem with Mafia, some games just don't like the way FRAPS works.
Specs in Profile
Ok I managed to get a decent recording of the two symbols now(luck) however I was just thinking that instead of FRAPS doing all the complicated mumbo-jumbo recording it could just record whats "on screen" if you know what I mean? Huh. Like having a video camera sat in front of your screen. So that it dosent matter if your running crysis 7 or Little Big Adventure 2, it should still be same fps.

But of course there must be a reason why they do it that way.
CPU: i9 20Ghz 40-core
GPU: GTX 129000 in Octo-SLI
RAM: 64GB DDREKT69
Monitor: 800x600 15" CRT
(10-19-2010, 08:38 PM)Fezzer Wrote: Ok I managed to get a decent recording of the two symbols now(luck) however I was just thinking that instead of FRAPS doing all the complicated mumbo-jumbo recording it could just record whats "on screen" if you know what I mean? Huh. Like having a video camera sat in front of your screen. So that it dosent matter if your running crysis 7 or Little Big Adventure 2, it should still be same fps.

But of course there must be a reason why they do it that way.

Since Vista (actually since D3D9L) graphics memory is protected, so it has to be done this way anyway. You'll notice this if you printscreen a newer game then paste in paint you'll just get a black box. Regardless of what method is used, the video still has to be saved to disk, which uses a fair amount of CPU regardless of which encoding method is used, due to the sheer amount of data that is being recorded.
Specs in Profile