Fast enough?
You can get AM2+ as well, they're backwards compatible, they will run slower than an AM2+ socket mobo though, but maybe if you're going to get a new motherboard you might think about it?
.:Intel Core i7 Extreme 965 OC'ed @ 4Ghz - EVGA X58 SLI - Corsair 6GB @ 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 - 2xEVGA GTX 285 1GB OC'ed @ 680/1548/1270Mhz in SLI - Dell UltraSharp 24" - Corsair HX1000W PSU - Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 - Antec 900
.OhmyCZ Vertex 250GB SSD 200/160MB/s read/write - Samsung F1 1TB
.:Windows 7 x64

Sponsored links

OK to answer the 45w question. I have one of those little tiny micro desktop and it has a little 220w PSU so it only supports 45w processors.

And I won't be getting a new motherboard. Not with my current case and PSU anyway. I was planning to save up about $600 (im 16 and jobless lol) and then building a computer from but that won't be until at least next year. For now, I just plan to upgrade my current desktop to a Athlon x2 processor and throw in another 2gigs of RAM.
(03-15-2009, 08:51 AM)Excaliber Wrote: OK to answer the 45w question. I have one of those little tiny micro desktop and it has a little 220w PSU so it only supports 45w processors.

And I won't be getting a new motherboard. Not with my current case and PSU anyway. I was planning to save up about $600 (im 16 and jobless lol) and then building a computer from but that won't be until at least next year. For now, I just plan to upgrade my current desktop to a Athlon x2 processor and throw in another 2gigs of RAM.

get a new power supply, 220w is too less for any system. mine runs on 440w supplying 4400+,9500GT,1GB ram, 660GB hdd and a dvd writer.
That's a very generalized proclamation .

A quality 220w is enough to run a range of configurations, it all depends on the components (Graphics cards in particular) and the PSU in general.
(Generally.. avoid free PSU's that are provided with cases at all cost, the vast majority do not meet ATX specifications and usually under volt under load and/or have high rippling... which can take out your components if bad enough.)

However.. that is besides the point, if that's what he has and it's working for him thus far he should be alright with an equiv 45w cpu.
Ninja