Fast enough?
I'd like to try to use this to play GTA3 and Gran Turismo 3/4 on my computer but I'm not sure if it's powerful enough. My specs are:

CPU: AMD Athlon x64 Single Core @ 2.6GHz overclocked to 2.9GHz
RAM: 2GB DDR2 6400 667MHz overclocked to 968MHz
Gfx: Nvidia 8200 w/ 500 MHz graphics core (overclocked to 600MHz), 1200MHz shader core (overclocked to 1300MHz) and 512 MB of integrated vRAM.

I think the cpu and ram would be ok but I'm worried about my integrated graphics.

Sponsored links

you need a dual core cpu, single core will not even give you playable framerate.
Well i was planning on pulling out that processor and sticking in a Athlon x2 2.5GHz but that wont be for another month or 2. I really thought that the graphics would be the problem, not the CPU. For a single core, that processor is really quite fast, especially with the 300MHz boost from being overclocked.

A little added info. This computer plays Oblivion (xbox 360 port) at high quality at 50-60FPS.
There's a big difference from a game that was designed to run on the computer, and an emulated PS2 game.

Oblivion isn't a 360 port, it was designed for both systems at the same time.

My Q6600 came clocked at 2.4Ghz out of the box, and it's a Quad core(So essentially a dual for pcsx2), even over clocked to 3.15Ghz I still don't get 60fps in the emulator, though I've only tried it on God of War and Jak II, both of which have a lot of trouble with pcsx2.

I think the answer is simple, try it, and see for yourself; instead of asking if it's good enough, which no one really knows, just try it for yourself, it doesn't take very long.
--nVidia 260 GTX, Intel Q6600 2.4Ghz(OC 3.15Ghz), 4gb Ram--
(03-14-2009, 08:39 AM)Excaliber Wrote: Well i was planning on pulling out that processor and sticking in a Athlon x2 2.5GHz but that wont be for another month or 2. I really thought that the graphics would be the problem, not the CPU. For a single core, that processor is really quite fast, especially with the 300MHz boost from being overclocked.

A little added info. This computer plays Oblivion (xbox 360 port) at high quality at 50-60FPS.

there is a difference between athlon 64 and athlon X2, you can't just remove one a put a new one. the pin packages are different.
you should first check which processors does your motherboard support only then you should go buy the one which will actually fit on your motherboard.
(03-14-2009, 08:39 AM)Excaliber Wrote: Well i was planning on pulling out that processor and sticking in a Athlon x2 2.5GHz but that wont be for another month or 2. I really thought that the graphics would be the problem, not the CPU. For a single core, that processor is really quite fast, especially with the 300MHz boost from being overclocked.

It doesn't really matter. A single core CPU just won't do it. This is an emulator, not a PC game. Two different worlds.
[Image: pibjimh9rqzvk1yz5kl.jpg]

(03-14-2009, 11:04 AM)redlof Wrote:

there is a difference between athlon 64 and athlon X2, you can't just remove one a put a new one. the pin packages are different.
you should first check which processors does your motherboard support only then you should go buy the one which will actually fit on your motherboard.

No, they're both socket AM2 (940pin), 45w cpus. They'll swap out just fine.
(03-14-2009, 06:05 PM)Excaliber Wrote:

If so, then get the fastest one availabe in AM2 socket.
(03-14-2009, 06:08 PM)redlof Wrote:
(03-14-2009, 06:05 PM)Excaliber Wrote:

If so, then get the fastest one availabe in AM2 socket.

Can't. I need a 45w processor. The 2.5GHz Athlon x2 is the fastest 45w processor they have. Of course I'll overclock it as much as is possible without overheating it.
Why exactly do you need a 45W processor?
I have an AMD 4400+ 64W processor.