[Feature Request] .mdx support is an image MDF/MDS combined into file
when I imaged my copies of FF10 and FF12
I did both the MDF/MDS and the MDX formats so I have a copy of both ...

PCSX2 already does the MDF format nicely... PCSX2 wasn't liking my physical discs for FF12 much to much vid skipping
I have had no issues outside of lag do to system specs using MDF/MDS.

I don't bother image mounting since PCSX2 likes the images directly just fine ;D =D
(PC Specs)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-PRO (BIOS_r4602 [02/23/2023])
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8GB XC3 model by EVGA
GFX Drivers: Nvidia v536.40
RAM: 32GB, 2x G.Skill 16GB DDR4

Sponsored links

I was wondering if the Dev's had had a chance to review what I was asking...

it shouldn't much effort at all to add support since it is still MDF/MDS format THEY JUST COMBINED THE TWO FILE IN TO ONE (.MDX) which is cleaner and less files to store ;^_^
(PC Specs)
I think there are still two open questions:

1. What would be the advantage of mdx over mdf/md5 and iso?
Since mdx should be superior to mdf/md5 at least because of single file handling one only needs to answer: What is the advantage of mdx over iso?

2. Who should implement it?
You still need to find a dev that is willing to spend some time to implement this. I guess avih is currently as close as no other dev to this idea. But how would you motivate him or another dev to implement this?

I don't really see the benefit to the project. Maybe you have to make some more advertisement for mdx...
you want it technically? mdf is exactly the same as an iso. a binary image. what might differ is the sector length. i dunno what mds is good for - some whatever attachment, but for pure binary images they both the same.

no need to hassle to integrate mdx as some gimmick.
as far as I know .MDX
is simply the .MDF/.MDS ()<-- WHICH IS SUPPORTED by PCSX2) format which is 2 files...

combined into ONE file...

1) its cleaner and more convenient to have just one single file per PS2 game image.... as opposed to two for

2) as PCSX2 already has full support of .MDS/.MDF, so it should be a cinch to add support for .MDX

MDF was better if you intended to.... use the image with computer programs and ISO better if you intended to re-burn it to disc later as a backup of your original disc or something like that... at least that's my understanding..

edit:
Media Descriptor File (MDF)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Descriptor_File
Quote:Media Descriptor File (MDF) is a proprietary disc image file format developed for Alcohol 120%, an optical disc authoring program. Daemon Tools, MagicISO, PowerISO, and PowerDVD can also read the MDF format.[1] A disc image is a computer file replica of the computer files and file system of an optical disc.

Unlike an ISO image, a Media Descriptor File can contain multiple layers (as used in dual-layer recording) and multiple optical disc tracks. Like the IMG file format, a Media Descriptor File is a "raw" image of an optical disc. The word raw implies that the copy is precise, bit-for-bit, including (where appropriate) file-system metadata.

A Media Descriptor File may be accompanied by a Media Descriptor Sidecar file. This optional binary file (with file extension .mds) contains metadata about an imaged optical disc, including a delineation of where disc layers begin and end ("layer breaks"), and which portions of the MDF belong in which disc layer. The MDS file also stores the location and value of the layer breach bit, a CD/DVD copy protection mechanism. The MDS file is comparable to the CloneCD Control File and cue sheet (.cue) file formats. However, their capabilities are not identical; also the cue sheet is a text file format.

SO if any PS2 Game were DUAL-LAYER the MDF format would BE NEEDED!
Quote:The default file format of DAEMON Tools is Media Data eXtended (MDX). MDX is a disc image file format similar to MDS/MDF images. It supports all of MDS/MDF format features except that all data is in one monolithic file only. The files of these types bear the filename extension of .mdx.[19][20]

MDX file contains metadata of original media - specifically the main physical parameters of disc, such as layer breaks, sessions, tracks and other. It could be described as being an archive file containing all data from a CD/DVD. It also supports data compression. MDX file includes the magic number "MEDIA DESCRIPTOR" at the beginning of the file.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon_Tools

Quote:MDX files are designed to replace the combination of .MDS and .MDF files by storing all disc image data in one file.
http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/mdx

Unlike an ISO image, a Media Descriptor File can contain multiple layers (as used in dual-layer recording) and multiple optical disc tracks. Like the IMG file format, a Media Descriptor File is a "raw" image of an optical disc. The word raw implies that the copy is precise, bit-for-bit, including (where appropriate) file-system metadata.
(PC Specs)
(07-27-2014, 05:18 AM)Melchior Wrote: SO if any PS2 Game were DUAL-LAYER the MDF format would BE NEEDED!

how many games are there that are really dual layer? how much is wasted on those tho... due to read shift? i have none.

i could still cram most isos in 2.x GB or less. cutting read shift and dead ends and compressing is more worth it. Closedeyes
(07-27-2014, 05:18 AM)Melchior Wrote: Unlike an ISO image, a Media Descriptor File can contain multiple layers (as used in dual-layer recording) and multiple optical disc tracks. Like the IMG file format, a Media Descriptor File is a "raw" image of an optical disc. The word raw implies that the copy is precise, bit-for-bit, including (where appropriate) file-system metadata.

Where did you get this from?
ISOs can hold Dual-layers without a problem and work perfectly with PCSX2 (and other Emulators like Dolphin).

Honestly i dont see a single reason why someone should not use ISOs in the first place.

1. ISO is the most common format and is supported by most tools and can be easily created, modified or converted
2. Now with the GZip support in PCSX2 you can compress your ISOs and save a lot of space on the HDD with almost no negative effects
^ Yep.

If it was easy to add, I don't see why not at some point. But ISO works fine.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Sorry to necro this thread but I wanted to clear something up for Melchior:
You don't need to keep the .mds file that Alcohol 120% creates. That's just a media descriptor file, it only contains metadata. PCSX2 just needs the actual image. So delete the .mds file and keep the .mdf file and then BAM! You got 1 file per game. Smile

Cheers!
[Image: pNm13X9.gif]
Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909 | AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD | WD Red Plus 8TB

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games
Games that don't need a strong CPU
Tongue 
(09-08-2014, 03:03 PM)karasuhebi Wrote: Sorry to necro this thread but I wanted to clear something up for Melchior:
You don't need to keep the .mds file that Alcohol 120% creates. That's just a media descriptor file, it only contains metadata. PCSX2 just needs the actual image. So delete the .mds file and keep the .mdf file and then BAM! You got 1 file per game. Smile

Cheers!

ooh my, ok.... but still .mdx is cooler  Tongue

also I don't use "Alcohol 120%" lol, I do own a life-time copy of it but haven't bothered to install it...
I used Daemon Tools Lite to image my FF10 and FF12 discs.... which worked just fine Laugh

Whats strange is I DID NOT receive any email about your updates to this thread..
so I am only now noticing the updates comment/posts  because
I was commenting on Facebook and thought to check in on my old thread...

good gawd its been almost three years...
and they still have not added something as simple as .mdx Tongue
(PC Specs)