[Feature request] Change resolution software mode
Would it be to hard to enable the ability to change the internal resolution in software mode.

Sponsored links

It would be yes, it would probably slow down software mode to an unusable speed, but will also bring along all the problems inherent with hardware mode and upscaling too.

The newest Git versions with OpenGL in hardware are pretty good now and a lot of games are close to software mode. of course there are a few things it still cannot do, but a majority of effects are now emulated.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(06-16-2016, 12:26 AM)refraction Wrote: It would be yes, it would probably slow down software mode to an unusable speed, but will also bring along all the problems inherent with hardware mode and upscaling too.

The newest Git versions with OpenGL in hardware are pretty good now and a lot of games are close to software mode. of course there are a few things it still cannot do, but a majority of effects are now emulated.

the majority but the one i need, mipmapping
im not worried about upscaling problems or the speed that you run.
I know you aren't but everybody else is. The idea of software mode is for accuracy to the original system, nothing more.

Either way it's not going to happen, sorry!

The optional option is a option.
Yea sorry for the dickish sounding reply i run on a i7‑6700k, it still seems pretty ridicules not to include it as a option, that if you wanted the original resolution to a game for texture issue reasons you could just not change the resolution.
It's not something that is easily done, you can't just say "render this point to this point", everything in its entirety has to be done in code as it's rendered completely on the cpu by code we have to write. It is already a massive amount of work for the current software mode, to add that (if it is even possible, I'm not a graphics coder so I don't know for sure if it is), would take a HUGE amount of work and making it optional could be a real ball ache as it will be essentially replacing all the existing code, so it is possible even not having it on might suffer.

The thing is that, in order to be accurate, the SW renderer writes pixels directly in the GS memory. It allow to emulate various effects (which are now partially supported on the HW renderer). If you want to upscale, you won't be able to do it anymore. The solution on the HW renderer is the infamous texture cache. May I add that GS texture format aren't linear so you can't just apply a factor 2x.

So it will be easier to add an option to partially support mipmap on the HW renderer than to extend the SW renderer to support upscaled resolution.