Final Fantasy X-2 on a EU V 2.00
Hello PCSX2 Forums,

I have a Quad Core with an 8800 GT and 4gigs of ram (xp only recognizes 2.7 or something). In the opening cinematic of the game (girls going out to sing) my frame rate drops from 50-60 (opening cinematic to menu) to 15 or so and the sound is slowed down as per my instructions in the Config.

I tried using the frame skipping options in the config -> CPU. This essentially does make it run faster but it still isn't as fast as it is on the PS2 (and the VU actually makes it worse). The reason I'm using the emulator is because I don't have a TV/PS2 in my apartment (it's in my parents house).

Should I be using a different BIOS? (I'm not asking where to get one) And if yes which one would you recommend for this game? I will most likely not be playing any other games, since by the time I'm done with this one I will be getting my original PS2. I have a legal copy of FFx-2 but my PS2 tipped 7 hours into the game and tatoo'd my disk beyond recognition, so I've been dying to play/finish this game for quite a while as I am a fan of the series.

The version of the game is Pal Eng. I will try playing it with the Frame Skip in effect, perhaps it's only the Cinematics that run slowly. I read through the detailed Guide on how to configure the thing so feel free to give me simple directions. If I don't understand something I'll just ask. Right now I'm using the default options with my own configurations (I used the guide). If you need to know a precise configuration please let me know and I'll gladly share it with you.

Addition: I played around with some more options and reverted to the old ones and now nothing seems to work. I will try closing all the back ground windows and processes to see if that helps.

~ Eleven

PS: Does one save like on the PS2 or outside of the game in the config window? Does the Analogue work with a gamepad?

PPS: After monkeying with it the cinematics are really really slow (12 fps) even with the Frame Skip setting. The gameplay isn't as fun as it was on the PS2... everything's choppy and it slows down and speeds up as it likes. I'm getting 50 fps but it doesn't feel like it. I ordered a controller so perhaps once I have that it will work better/make the game more enjoyable. I will play around some more once that arrives. In the mean time any advice is appreciated.

Sponsored links

(06-10-2009, 09:46 AM)elevenfingers Wrote: Should I be using a different BIOS? (I'm not asking where to get one)

And if yes which one would you recommend for this game?

The bios you should use is the one from your PS2. Simply dump it next time you get back to your parent's.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Note: Despite whatever people may have in their heads as an idea, a different bios doesnt make the slightest bit of difference (seems to be a common concept that different bios's do a better job, its rubbish) so just stick with your own and that way you stay on the right side of this forum as well.

Without knowing your plugin settings, PCSX2 settings and your exact chip (AMD's tend to work slower per clock than Intel quads) we cant really help too much.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Alright, well the BIOS is off of my PS2. I was just asking to see if another BIOS (from a friend perhaps) might be better. We can drop that from here on out.

As for my chip (from the Ps2 Output):

Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.5GHz
CPU Speed: 2.507 GHz

I'm not exactly sure what 'plugins' are but if it's the .iso of FFX-2 that you are wondering I'm not sure. It's an image of a friends English Version (Pal) of the game (since my own has been scratched).

For the Settings:
Gfx: ZeroGS KOSMOS 0.97.0 -> Interlace Enable, 1024 x 768 Windowed (my resolution is 1440 x 900). All others disabled (for speed?)
Sound: ZeroSPU2 0.4.4 -> Time Scaling
Controls (till I get my gamepad): SSSPSX PAD Plugin Pressure Mod 1.6.0 -> Keys for Controller 1 mapped to keyboard. Controller 2 left blank (FF = single player)
Cdvdrom: Linuzappz Iso CDVD 0.7.0 -> Not sure whether I need to select anything here. I didn't touch it.
Dev9: Dev9null Driver 0.3.0 -> Default, did not touch.
USB: USBnull Driver 0.5.0 -> Default (Logging not enabled)
FireWire: FWnull Driver 0.4.0 -> Default (Logging not enabled)
BIOS: Europe v02.00(14/06/2004)
Plugins Directory = path linked to folder in install directory
BIOS Directory = same thing

CPU Settings: EE/IOP recompiler, VU0 and VU1 and Frame skip enabled.
The game .iso is loaded and it functions, it's just a lot slower than I'd expect. I'm guessing with tweaking it could run better.

If I've forgotten something or given you the wrong information let me know. If you would like me to experiment I could do that as well.
Before i continue, being "off a friend" is no more legal than downloading it. I suggest you get a disc scratch repair tool and fix your disc, then make an iso of it, copying your friends is still making an unauthorized copy.

As for your plugins, make sure you use pcsx2 0.9.6, gsdx for graphics and spu2x for sound, this should bring some improvement.

(06-10-2009, 12:13 PM)refraction Wrote: Before i continue, being "off a friend" is no more legal than downloading it. I suggest you get a disc scratch repair tool and fix your disc, then make an iso of it, copying your friends is still making an unauthorized copy.

As for your plugins, make sure you use pcsx2 0.9.6, gsdx for graphics and spu2x for sound, this should bring some improvement.

If I have a legal copy of the game am I not entitled to obtaining it in it's exact form? I was under the impression that one may download movies and music if one has purchased the rights to said items, ie. buying the movie/music. If this is not the case I will try and repair my disc and create the .iso of of my cd which is the exact same version as his. This really sounds like it defeats the purpose since I the versions are identical. But then again this thread isn't about debating this. I will try use your advice and get back to you if its improved at all.

Thanks for your help.

Allright, I downloaded and installed the newest version. The FMVs run 3x faster and I can actually watch them now. They're still a little slow but I can live with it. Gameplay is smooth. Finally after 2 years of wondering what to do I can finally play and beat this game. Thanks to the developers and to all who helped me here and getting this thing online. You guys are great.
Im afraid the law is very specific, If you buy a copy, you are entitled to use that single copy however you wish, to copy to a personal backup, anything, it does not give you the right to use somebody elses copy.

The example i like to give people:-

You buy a game, for arguements sake, Final Fantasy X-2. But it gets damaged, so you need another copy. So you go back to the shop, pick one off the shelf and try to walk out with it (this is just like copying another copy). Will the excuse "ive already bought it" make the staff members let you leave without question, or will they demand you give it back and call the police?

I think we know the answer, my point is the law states you are not allowed to obtain any copy of which you did not physically pay for, regardless of if the data contained on the disk is identical or not. The only reason i havent closed this thread is because i know it sounds rediculous.

But im glad your problem is sorted.

If the bios i should use is the one from your PS2 then what are the steps on how to do it for mine? i i don't really have some idea on what would i do with my system for that.

Indeed it's a ridiculous law... If you bought something, it means that it's yours forever, and if you use a friend's disc/BIOS instead of yours, if they are identical, you should be allowed to.

For example, say you buy a game... The next day, it doesn't work anymore. Now instead of being allowed to use a friend's, the law forces you to buy a NEW one.

Also, about that "you can't use your friend's BIOS". He says, "I give you this BIOS", now it becomes yours. The law can be avoided this way. If anyone asks, simply say "I was given this by a friend." Yes, you own it now. Now your friend wants his BIOS back, you simply give it to him and tell him that it's his property from now on. Simple as that.

No I didn't do anything of those, just saying a workaround for the law. It becomes yours if the owner tells you so. Laws need to be more detailed.
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 2.87 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT
RAM: 2 x 512 MB Kingston DDR2
MB: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4

No, he can't say 'I give you this bios' because it's a part of his PS2. If he does give you his PS2 then yes you can use the bios from that console.
Anyway we are not trying to see if the law is stupid or not, we are simply following it to keep out of trouble. Simple as that
[Image: newsig.jpg]