Final Fantasy X Slowdown
I'm very new to emulators and am trying to play FFX. I works great on my desktop, but I get slowdowns on my laptop. These slowdowns always occur when casting magic and occasionally at other intervals (11-30 fps, when the game normally runs 50-60). There also seems to be a delay between hitting a button and performing the action.

I've looked at other threads, but I'm not sure if their problems are the same as mine.

Dell Inspiron
Intel Core i5 CPU
M 460 @ 2.53GHz
Windows 7 64-bit
4GB RAM

Sponsored links

GPU and resolution?
As for the delay in pressing and action, turn off v-sync if it's on. That's the most often cause of that.
[Image: 2748844.png]
Most likely an integrated GPU
Custom Desktop
CPU: Haswell Core i7 4770 3.40 GHz (3.90 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
CPU Instructions: MMX, SSE1, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1,
SSE4.2, EIST, iAMT2, Trusted Execution Technology (TXT)  
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
HDD: 3 x 1 TB Western Digital HDD
Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GDDR5
Audio: Realtek 5.1 HD Audio
(04-27-2011, 06:09 AM)nintendo85 Wrote: Most likely an integrated GPU

Then if he's using Direct3D (Hardware), that's explanation enough. In some areas, I have to use Native on my GT 430 to get full speed. Arrandale's graphics is considerably worse than the GT 430.
(04-26-2011, 11:24 PM)newmanchris Wrote: These slowdowns always occur when casting magic...

Yep, that's the GPU. Go as low as you can with the resolution, but an integrated GPU will still get slowdown here, among other places (in my experience).
So I need to turn off v-sync and tone down the graphics resolution. Should I change the Direct3D setting?
Try using Direct3D Software and see if it helps any. Your CPU is pretty fast enough that software mode may perform better than hardware.
If the i5 has the same GPU as the i3, then using Direct3D 10 software mode at slower parts will help, but most of the time, I use Direct3D 9 Hardware, as it has the graphical glitches removed from the 10 hardware and is usually better than software.

Also, you should be able to put all the speed hacks on max, since it has no negative effects that I can see. I've just left Luca and the road there was pretty slow (30fps) on 9 hardware, but with 10 software, it went back up to max. I've disabled the framerate though and I get around 70fps, which increases the closer I get to the next screen, since it has less to render.