Final Fantasy XII Running Slow
The game runs smoothly when I use OpenGL, but it tends to crash often. No crashes with Direct3D, but it runs like crap.

I've looked at other threads and have tried different recommended settings for this game, but it is still running very slow, especially when I have multiple people in my party and during cutscenes.

Here is my set up:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Intel® Core™ i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
8 GB RAM

Should I be able to get this running smoothly with Direct3D?
Here are my settings:
[Image: 27y0qp4.jpg]
[Image: 2lvfpcj.jpg]
[Image: 29ld8g5.jpg]
[Image: 6p7qsk.jpg]
[Image: 1kkqq.jpg]

Sponsored links

Is there a reason you ticked everything in the GSdx? Do you even know what the settings do?
For one, it's EXTRA rendering threads. Your CPU is 4 cores, so your setting equals 5. You don't have 5 cores, set it to 3 instead Tongue2
Internal Resolution doesn't really work the way you think it does. I would set it on x3 instead, but that's up to you.
You probably don't want the FX shader, OR the FXAA filtering, OR the ShadeBoost (unless you actually configured it, it won't do anything in the default settings. It's meant to change things like brightness, contrast and saturation)
You should turn off the Allow 8-bit Textures setting, unless your game is said to require it. And unless your game is in need of a GSdx hack, do NOT touch them and DO NOT enable them at all times if you have. You're asking for things to be broken.

Don't be afraid to try out which combo of EE cyclerate and VU cycle stealing hacks works for your case. I always keep mine on the first tick and there's only a couple of games in my library that find that troubling.
Makes me wonder what hacks he has enabled in Hardware Hacks.

Also that CPU has up to AVX support, use SSE4 GSdx, or AVX GSdx. Not SSE3.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
for starters start by overclocking the chip and using speed hacks to ee and gs to 2 and, use software mode +3 threads and, use dx11 software mode if, hardware is too slow...
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
Overclocking isn't needed with that CPU. He should be able to run that game just fine at 60 FPS in Hardware Mode with the proper settings.

I wouldn't be surprised if he had MSAA hack enabled as well in the HW hacks. All these extra settings will cause slowdowns in the game.

Even my old i7-920 ran this game at full speed, and that was at 2.66 GHz. That i7-920 runs worse in almost everything than the i5-3570k, but it was still able to get full speed.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
(11-07-2014, 05:59 PM)Ryudo Wrote: Overclocking isn't needed with that CPU. He should be able to run that game just fine at 60 FPS in Hardware Mode with the proper settings.

I wouldn't be surprised if he had MSAA hack enabled as well in the HW hacks. All these extra settings will cause slowdowns in the game.

yes, it's better to disable fxaa and other hw hacks used, i think that will give more fps gains for him.and, ocing could help a little bit on higher internal res to get better performance.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
Thanks! Yes i did have the MSAA enabled. I shut all that stuff down and switched to SSE4. It's only dropping a few FPS when loading areas now. Not quite as pretty, but oh well. Sorry I have no idea what I'm doing, lol.

Strangely, in the area just west of Rabanastre, it's now filled with dust and fog to where you can't see very far ahead of you. I'm gonna assume it's supposed to be this way because the other areas are still clear. But it wasn't like that before.
(11-07-2014, 06:28 PM)azazellee Wrote: Thanks! Yes i did have the MSAA enabled. I shut all that stuff down and switched to SSE4. It's only dropping a few FPS when loading areas now. Not quite as pretty, but oh well. Sorry I have no idea what I'm doing, lol.

Strangely, in the area just west of Rabanastre, it's now filled with dust and fog to where you can't see very far ahead of you. I'm gonna assume it's supposed to be this way because the other areas are still clear. But it wasn't like that before.

oh, seems you have worked it out and you are welcome Smile
- Refraction
(11-07-2014, 06:28 PM)azazellee Wrote: Strangely, in the area just west of Rabanastre, it's now filled with dust and fog to where you can't see very far ahead of you. I'm gonna assume it's supposed to be this way because the other areas are still clear. But it wasn't like that before.

Weather changes in FFXII, so one time it could be sunny and clear and other times you could have a massive sandstorm in Westersand. There's also a Mark that appears only during a sandstorm. (Ring Wyrm) and Gnoma Entite only spawns during this weather too.

Can't forget Earth Tyrant either... an optional boss that causes heavy sandstorms.