Final Fantasy XII - Slow Play and other Issues
(This was supposed to go in playground forum, sorry, if any moderator could kindly move it)

Whenever lots of characters are in scene (and often in in-game cutscenes) the game runs slowly, although remaining at a proper fps (~57fps) and the CPU usage is only up to 44%

I do not know what the last section on the title bar is, but it is ~1300 | ~4800 whenever it runs slowly.

I also get some errors regularly in FMWs, "sceMpegGetPicture is aborted" which makes the sound crackling and image stops for a second.

Any setup suggestions/solutions aswell as configurations to improve it.
My specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 3Ghz (3.12 overclock at 74c heat.)
3GB RAM (4 installed, but only 32bit os)
XFX GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3

My setup:

[Image: setup.jpg]
Rest is pretty much default.

And do you know what causes these glitches?
(in the background and behind the rat)
[Image: artifact.jpg]

I usually run the game in DX9, the performance seems to be the same and DX10 causes a glitch in the faces (a vertical line down the face) of all characters.

Note: Running the VM version, due to crashes and other glitches with the TLB version.

Sponsored links

The "CPU usage" you see in the title of the window is actually the GPU usage as it is displayed by GSdx.

FFXII has situations where it is really dependant on CPU and GPU. You GPU should be fine but your CPU might be a little too slow for certain situations. Well I played in 1920x1200 internal res but even with a 4.4Ghz C2D I experienced scenes with 50-55FPS.
One possible solution is to reduce internal res and try again.
(01-10-2009, 08:49 PM)Jlagreen Wrote: The "CPU usage" you see in the title of the window is actually the GPU usage as it is displayed by GSdx.

FFXII has situations where it is really dependant on CPU and GPU. You GPU should be fine but your CPU might be a little too slow for certain situations. Well I played in 1920x1200 internal res but even with a 4.4Ghz C2D I experienced scenes with 50-55FPS.
One possible solution is to reduce internal res and try again.

Surely you jest, 4.4ghz c2d? Surely you mean 3.3?
Or even 2.2, a dualcore is not 2x Ghz
No, I don't. I have an E8400 E0 overclocked to 4.4Ghz per core.
(01-10-2009, 10:26 PM)Jlagreen Wrote: No, I don't. I have an E8400 E0 overclocked to 4.4Ghz per core.

FFX 10 is slow in some areas for me too, and the glitches are artifacts, usually caused by shadows, check if your graphics drivers are upto date, as it can help. I didnt get any till the mines bit, nothing to worry about, the game can still be played through.

As for the cutscenes your going to have live with it im afraid, they dont run very well right now.
@Jlagreen
And surely you mean you've overclocked a E8400 to 463 FSB, which is a pretty hardcore overclock.
Piracy and Being a vegetarian that eats Quorn are alike.

Your in denial, and want the real thing, not matter what you think.

CPU:E8500 MB:Asus P5Q-E RAM: 3Gigs of Corsair domination 5-5-5-15 GfxCard:ATI Radion HD 4870 OC'd @775Mhz GPU, 1000Mhz GDDR5 Ram
I tried my hand at both underclocking and overclocking, but it has the same performance, so do you think the slowdowns are cpu related? Maybe it is just not completely compatible yet.

As for the shadow and fog graphic glitch, running in DX10 solved that, but alas dx10 also have its own glitches; DX10 got those lines in their faces.
Now I am confused. The thread title and the screenshot tell me that it is FFXII but why is FFX mentioned?

(01-10-2009, 10:59 PM)azure6610 Wrote:
(01-10-2009, 10:26 PM)Jlagreen Wrote: No, I don't. I have an E8400 E0 overclocked to 4.4Ghz per core.

FFX 10 is slow in some areas for me too, and the glitches are artifacts, usually caused by shadows, check if your graphics drivers are upto date, as it can help. I didnt get any till the mines bit, nothing to worry about, the game can still be played through.

As for the cutscenes your going to have live with it im afraid, they dont run very well right now.
@Jlagreen
And surely you mean you've overclocked a E8400 to 463 FSB, which is a pretty hardcore overclock.
Actually my FSB is 489 and runs like this 24/7 without any probs Smile. Well, luckily I bought DDR2-1000 RAM last year so it's no problem.
I think he must be mixing the two.

By the way, i found out that the glitchy videos was due to using P.E.Op.S as a sound plugin, the cinematics works perfectly now with ZeroSPU2, quality is lesser though and in-game ones doesnt work very well, because it wont play sound separately like peops, but along with the game, so it stutters alot whenever the game runs slow.
Yeah sound plugin is most annoying problem with FFXII as the only one good working overall SPU2ghz Playground produces a rather annoying squeaking noise when you walk around.
Still I recommend using it as I had fewer problems with it as with the other plugins.
It works somewhat better alright, but its choppy for me, any particular option that helps with that?

Edit: Nevermind, for some reason i had disabled time-stretching.

There must be a way to fix the squeaky sounds though, latency perhaps?

Ill try fiddling around a bit.

Update: Nevermind, tried all modules at different latency settings and setups.