Final Fantasy XII and general fps
I was on youtube the other day and I saw some people showing captures of FFXII running at full fps with no frame skip and at an insanely high resolution. The ONLY difference is that I have XP with DX9. I have better specs on my pc than they posted, and yet I'm not able to run it at constant 60 fps. I'm pretty sure I'm using the right plug-ins and everything.

My pc specs are:

E8500 @ 4.1
3 (or whatever max is for XP) gigs of RAM DDR2 1080ish
ATI 4850 oc'd to 680/1080

I posted screens of my plugins and configs.

During the opening sequence where they teach you the controls, my fps goes down to 30-40. In the screens, disregard my VUframeskip because I was fooling around with it. I managed to get it to have 60 fps but skipping quite a lot of frames.

Also I don't know but when you set the frame skip to 1, it seems to get confused and go back a frame, so that it moves forwards and backwards. I don't know if that makes sense, but it's fixed when you change it to anything other than 1.

If anyone can be of help that would be great. I've been reluctant to upgrade to Vista (but I have a upgrade cd). If it's completely necessary to be able to run games more smoothly, then I'll maybe do a partition for Vista just for pcsx2.

Also I read somewhere that ATI dumps some load onto the CPU, and that it's better to have a quad with ATI. If anyone can clear that up it would help.

On another note, I tried SoulCalibur III when I first downloaded pcsx2 0.9.6, and the fmvs are great, as soon as the menu came up, it went down to 30 fps. I didn't try to tweak around with that game though.

Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

Simply put, you need to use DirectX10. Thus, you need to upgrade to vista/win7.
Make sure your using gsdx-SSE4.1 plugin, also click the native checkbox under graphics config.
Laptop Rig:

Core 2 Duo @ 1.8Ghz
3 gb DDR2-800 RAM
256mb ATI HD 3430
Windows Vista Buisness 32-Bit

Desktop Rig:

P4 HT @ 3.0Ghz
3 gb DDR2-533 RAM
256mb ATI X1300
Windows XP Pro 32-Bit
(05-07-2009, 07:33 AM)Cain Wrote: Simply put, you need to use DirectX10. Thus, you need to upgrade to vista/win7.

Word. Thanks for clearing that up.

I like 7, so maybe I'll use that. So much for racking my brains out on this.

To Mortred:

Yea I'm using SSE4.1. The point is I want to render it at higher resolutions, therefore I wouldn't use native right? Or maybe my conception of native resolution is incorrect.
(05-07-2009, 07:40 AM)Kamiyo Wrote:
(05-07-2009, 07:33 AM)Cain Wrote: Simply put, you need to use DirectX10. Thus, you need to upgrade to vista/win7.

Word. Thanks for clearing that up.

I like 7, so maybe I'll use that. So much for racking my brains out on this.

To Mortred:

Yea I'm using SSE4.1. The point is I want to render it at higher resolutions, therefore I wouldn't use native right? Or maybe my conception of native resolution is incorrect.

No your concept is correct, native just sets the resolution to default for the game. so if you want to rend it larger then yes an upgrade to vista/7 would be the way to go. Most prob you have set the resolution a bit too high thus resulting in slow gameplay.

One thing you can try is the latest pcsx2 beta. It has a new speed hack that is very compatible and has been reported to boost speed by alot. (depend on the game though)
Laptop Rig:

Core 2 Duo @ 1.8Ghz
3 gb DDR2-800 RAM
256mb ATI HD 3430
Windows Vista Buisness 32-Bit

Desktop Rig:

P4 HT @ 3.0Ghz
3 gb DDR2-533 RAM
256mb ATI X1300
Windows XP Pro 32-Bit
Some notes: 1) don't trust movies, that you could see around the net. You could not see real FPS, only calculated on capture time, and it's could be pretty slow. 2) You should be able to run FFX in 60 FPS at this resolution. If only you don't mess with CPU temperature (check speed by some real monitor programm, maybe CPU downthrottling to 20-30%), there could be only misconfiguration issues. 3) If you use DVD, it could be bad -- to slow to read.