Final Fantasy XII on a Pentium 4 - Playable.
I just got the idea to pop open my tin collectors edition case and make an image of my long-untouched FFXII, to my surprise it's actually playable.

Update: My framerate is better if I reduce the D3D internal res to 1280x1024. I'm getting 50-60-70 FPS @ 4.25 ghz. This one is completely playable (and not choppy either). In some scenes I get even better speed (like when Rex wakes up I get about 70-80 in speed). Doesn't seem like this one could need a very fast dual core, maybe just 2 ghz.

2nd Update: Just tried Freedom Fighters, the graphics are so glitchy I can't even see what I'm doing... I'm going to try making an image of The Hobbit now.

3rd Update: Omg, I'm getting 80-100 FPS in The Hobbit with all speedhacks, like 30 without (this game didn't really tax the PS2). I could balance these around to keep it realtime but wow, lol this is a really compatible 3D game, there is almost no graphic glitching.

I'm getting 40-60 FPS (in speed, it doesn't seem like the framerate is below 30) in the first level with EE cycle rate 3, Max VU cycle stealing, INTC sync hack, wait loop/sync hack and GSDX 0.1.9 SSE2 as well as SPU2-X 1.4.0 (Nearest, disabled audio effects, Async mix) and Lilypad.

I'll have to find some way to improve the framerate but in FMVs and stuff I'm getting 120 FPS.

This is playable with HT @ 4 ghz, and overclocking my video card some seems to help. I am now definitely surprised.

I need to post a video later. I have some more PS2 games like Freedom Fighters and I guess it's time to keep testing. I also have The Hobbit, don't ask -_-, rofl... my mom bought it for me, but I believe that game probably runs poorly.

This is crazy, it looks like only the hardest games such as Metal Gear Solid 3 and Tekken 5 are definitely out of my reach... the rest are pretty fair game it seems.

On FFX I get more than enough speed at the same clockrate (using settings that are 15% slower like rounding set to chop/zero and clamping normal):

CPU: Pentium D 'Presler' 915 2.8 ghz 2x2MB L2 @ 3.5 ghz
GPU: eVGA [Nvidia] 8600GT 256MB SSC DDR3
Tested: FFX, FFX-2, FFXII, MGS3, KH, KH2, The Hobbit NTSC
PCSX2 FTW! Biggrin

Sponsored links

Well I hate to bump an old dying thread but I've got the goods, and this video won't really be posted anywhere else so you know.. be thankful. xD

How is that? I even have my original game case and everything. Spiffy.
PCSX2 FTW! Biggrin
You got pretty good speed right there in the beginning, but with more characters on screen I don't think you are going to achieve playable speed Sad
PC:
EVGA 600 +80 PSU
NVIDIA GTX 550ti EVGA 2GB VRAM
[Image: hj0zqy-4.png]
he's just clocked a P4 at similar speeds as my 2.2 dual. of course he's getting full fps. I easily get full on both of these games, it's not that impressive. all we hear about is 3.2 minimum for PCSX2, I've done matched speeds of those processors on my low-end pc, but you don't see me spamming "hey, I can do it too" all over the place

do it stock speeds, then it's impressive.

and stop bragging on FFX, I'm seeing that dumb video in just about every thread I go to, there's no need for it. stop spamming it.
True..
A Pentium III @ 1.8 ghz might be able to do it. Lol.
Unfortunately this Pentium 4 stock speed could only run it like... just the minimum of decently playable. Overclocking usually saves time.
PCSX2 FTW! Biggrin
you don't get it. my pc reads from sites with a 4.9 clockspeed (as if monocore) all you've done is made your pc match mine from a single core. aka anything I can do, you probably can too, but that's not impressive
(08-02-2010, 01:31 AM)Saiki Wrote: you don't get it. my pc reads from sites with a 4.9 clockspeed (as if monocore) all you've done is made your pc match mine from a single core. aka anything I can do, you probably can too, but that's not impressive

Ah but you see you have 2 processors, thus your *actually* paralellizing the tasks, I only have a single processor with hyperthreading... and all that really does is utilize other-wise unused parts of the CPU. (Which isn't true simultaneous multithreading.. it's more like switching back and forth between tasks with less latency)

It means a lot because your processor would almost always perform better than my processor at any task using 2 threads.

Hyperthreading - 5-15% improvement usually... rarely up to 30-50%.

Dual core - 60-88% improvement usually, sometimes more.

This is exactly why Intel changed their road plan and aimed for more efficient CPU architecture at the cost of clock speed. They're able to do more work with less voltage and thus energy expenditure, which leads to less heat output.

Also, my Pentium 4 is cache-bottlenecked, because it only has half the amount of cache that the newer Prescotts and Cedar Mills happen to have.

At least I waited 2 years before upgrading, anything I pick up now would be cheaper and faster than what was available before...

I don't make or hold any of the money that goes around in my budget though so I can't really save for these kind of purchases... I could still try.
PCSX2 FTW! Biggrin
i think that saiki says that we know you made that game run full speed on a pentium 4 ,but stop posting about it in every thread you go , you know that is spamming and you can get a warning for that
[Image: 2ymccqu.jpg]
[Image: 17715.png]
And that would be a ban wouldn't it? (since it would be my unfortunate third) Well... what's the loss? Besides an account on this site. If I were really trying to spam, I would be focused on it more than trying to give informative information, then I would have ravaged every single thread on this forum to hell with it... but instead, I just fleshed out my replies so I wouldn't be another moron running around giving people bad advice.

To be honest it's time to retire until I get a new processor, then I'll be better off... by that time everyone might forget me, but that's okay.

In the meantime I need to find something to do with these 4 billion cycles per second.... they sure go to waste if I'm just web browsing and using MSN like all the other people who just use their computers for simplistic tasks. If I just needed to web browse, I could manage on a Pentium III... but why would I do that if this processor serves the task at least twice as well as the fastest Pentium III you could buy.

You get what I'm saying? If I really wanted to spam, I would have had 500 posts before I get banned because I'm clever like that, but I don't want to mess around here intentionally because I'm actually trying to be of some sort of help.

You know... and besides, I'm used to chatting and what-not, done it for 3 1/2 years. Great deal of time probably wasted, but it wasn't in vain because I've learned a lot in these 3 1/2 years.

Et cetera, no need to continue on that. I'm kind of feeling uhm... well, I can't talk about it in this forum. Wink
PCSX2 FTW! Biggrin
Just to share, I'm running a 3.0 mhz Core2Duo with a Radeon 4850 and 2 gb ram, and I play FF12 at full speed. I get VERY occasional slowdowns when entering new areas (again, this doesnt even happen very often.) It actually runs better than FFX for me for some reason (though FFX only slowed down for me in that one big grassy plain, otherwise that runs fullspeed too)

Halfway through FF12 now and loving it. Thanks PSCX2!