First Specs for PCSX2 [Will it work?]
First off, let me say I have thoroughly read the "Will PCSX2 run fast on my computer" thread. This is to help me clarify between two possible options I'm currently debating between. I essentially want to know [if possible] if one of these layouts will run resouce-intensive games [i.e. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, which I own] at a reliable 60fps or close enough to it.
Both options will be utilizing Windows 7 Professional 32-bit.

Option A:
CPU: Intel i5-2500K @ 3.30 GHz
GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce 9800GT [1GB, 256-bit, DDR3]
Board [not sure if it matters but]: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO Intel 7 Series
RAM: 1x4GB [Spectek, DDR3]

Option B:
CPU: Intel i5-3570 @ 3.40 GHz
GPU: Same as Option A
Board: MSI B75MA-P45 Intel B75 Motherboard
RAM: Same as Option A

So it's pretty much the same for both but having a different processor and board. The main thing I want to get out of asking is, would these specs [either of them] be sufficient and if not, what should I look to get? Also, with the normal clock speed of 3.30 - 3.40 GHz, is OC'ing necessary? I'd really rather not push it if I can help it.

Sponsored links

(11-22-2012, 09:20 PM)Kiptracx Wrote: [i.e. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, which I own]

Dolphin is that way.

Anyway both builds will likely be capable of running most playable games at 50/60 fps, unless you up the internal res over 3x.
Gsdx: http://i.imgur.com/udhPu.png

Windows 7 64-bit
Intel i5-3570k @ 3.40Ghz
Nvidia GeForce GTX670 DirectCU II
8Gb Ram
The GPU is quite old...you should look for something newer. Ram you should buy 2 sticks to have dual channel and better performance. Cpu and board of option A are good if you want to OC, anyway it shouldn't be necessary to have full speed on the majority of ps2 games.
Ryzen 7 3800X | Noctua NH-D14| Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro| RX Vega 64| 2*8GB Patriot Viper 3733MHz C17@3733MHz C16| Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 970EVO 512GB NVMe| 4TB Hard Drive| Samsung C25FG7 + Samsung S24D300 + Samsung S24F250| NZXT Phantom 410| Enermax Revo'Xt 730W| Gigabyte M6900
@Deoxy Oh right... sorry. lol. Trying both emulators and guess I got mixed up. Tongue

@dav1de As far as RAM goes, I imagine I can just buy 2 sticks of what I wanted to get... provided RAM works that way [I have someone else to help with this since I'm not very computer-savvy]. As far as the GPU, I've heard a lot about it being outdated, but it's not as if I'll be doing anything TOO heavy for it. I think. But in case, can you give me a specific recommendation? I keep hearing about the Radeon 5850 but the main thread I get info off of is a bit confusing.
(11-22-2012, 09:47 PM)Kiptracx Wrote: @Deoxy Oh right... sorry. lol. Trying both emulators and guess I got mixed up. Tongue

@dav1de As far as RAM goes, I imagine I can just buy 2 sticks of what I wanted to get... provided RAM works that way [I have someone else to help with this since I'm not very computer-savvy]. As far as the GPU, I've heard a lot about it being outdated, but it's not as if I'll be doing anything TOO heavy for it. I think. But in case, can you give me a specific recommendation? I keep hearing about the Radeon 5850 but the main thread I get info off of is a bit confusing.

For ram it's better to have similar sticks, more they are similar, less probability to have problems, so i suggest you to take a kit with 2 sticks (maybe 8GB for the day you will upgrade to a 64bit OS). The GPU is not bad, especially if you use it just for pcsx2. But nowadays there are GPUs that are much better while consuming much less, you didn't say how much you want to spend, but for example Radeon HD7750 or Geforce 650 are surely better and they cost less than 100€ (just to say a 9800GT for me should not be payed more than 40-50€ if new and no more than 30€ if used...). Radeon HD5850 is better than the two i said but it's 2 generations old.
Ryzen 7 3800X | Noctua NH-D14| Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro| RX Vega 64| 2*8GB Patriot Viper 3733MHz C17@3733MHz C16| Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 970EVO 512GB NVMe| 4TB Hard Drive| Samsung C25FG7 + Samsung S24D300 + Samsung S24F250| NZXT Phantom 410| Enermax Revo'Xt 730W| Gigabyte M6900
Please, please, don't use 32bit operating system on that machine, it's really a pitty to waste such pottential on such great setup, you will bitterly regret it. You will feel the need to get rid of 32bit pretty soon and you will want to get a RAM upgrade so do it now better. Either way those parts are pretty like the cheapest ones for a PC so you should consider them as priorities.

BTW, compared to PCSX2, Dolphin gets a good performance boost on 64bit builds so I guess it's a good idea to consider it a must.
That I hadn't noticed. Why on earth were you considering a 32-bit os? If you have the little extra cash to spare consider also getting 8gb since ram isn't very expensive. Is Spectek a decent brand?
Gsdx: http://i.imgur.com/udhPu.png

Windows 7 64-bit
Intel i5-3570k @ 3.40Ghz
Nvidia GeForce GTX670 DirectCU II
8Gb Ram
@dav1de I see. I did get linked to a pair of sticks a while back [2x8GB, which to me seems a tad bit overkill...] but I'll look into doing that, or at least try getting a sufficient amount for the budget I have. For me the Radeon HD7750 is a bit more than the 9800GT [which should be expected, I guess]. I just want to make sure that overclocking won't be a necessity since the low-cost board I plan to buy doesn't work well with the idea of OC'ing. But besides being old, wouldn't the Radeon HD5850 technically be better to use, then? Or is there something to this I'm not understanding?

@KLM I guess I'm glad that my setup seems so good with the exception of the OS, then. Laugh But the only reason I'm going with 32bit is because my friend is able to give me a copy for free [legally]. This is just sort of a baseline thing for now, as time goes on, I'll be able to upgrade parts, and moving from 32- to 64-bit is one of the first things I plan on doing as soon as the opportunity arises.

@deoxy Only because I don't have quite the money to focus on OS at the moment. I'll move up, but for now all the physical components is what I'm most focused on. I haven't heard of the brand myself but reviews seem favorable and it was very cheap [$17 for that 1x4GB stick].
If you can find a 5850 for a good price it's ok, but you should look in the used market mainly, instead if you look for something new 650 and 7750 are a good starting point, but if you can spend more, you will obviously get more. The choice of the GPU depends also on the monitor, that you didn't mentioned, if you have a Full HD you will probably want to play ps2 games at that resolution and with some antialiasing, and for that you should probably go up to a 7850 or similar (at least for games like GT4 that are quite demanding even on the GPU side).
2x8GB it's too much, I've got 8GB and i hardly go above 5GB with win 7 ultimate 64bit...
A quick search definitely seems to say I won't find the 5850 for a good price at all. Places around here sell it for about $20-$30 more than the 7750 [which confuses me but whatever...] The monitor is still something I'm trying to debate about it. As in, I probably won't start browsing around for it until later on today or at a later date. About the most graphically intense games I see myself playing via emulation would be the likes of FFX and Dragon Quest 8 [again, both of which I do own]. But the monitor is still an unknown variable to me. I did initially wanna go for 4GB but pushing for 2x4GB would be simple enough, I guess. And so I know since even my friend isn't well-versed in everything, would purchasing two sticks of the same exact RAM [for example, buying 2 instead of just 1 of that 4GB stick] be good in terms of compatabiliy? Noob question I know but the concept has always confused me.