Frame Limiting
I'm a little confused by the frame limiter. I output to my SD television, and while my setup is somewhat on the lower end of viable play (Athlon 7750BE, Geforce 7950GT, 4 gigs 1066 ram), I can definitely sacrifice frames. I would like to put a framelimit of 24 or 30fps on my setup, but instead of dropping frames, pcsx2 renders at 24/60 or 30/60 speed. Essentially my games are running at half-speed. I then thought 60fps was a rather odd number and was either representative of the fields in an interlaced source being incorrectly rendered as frames OR something to do with vertical sync. Disabled vertical sync and played around with interlace options. Everything still continues to render steady at 30fps...but at half game speed.

Sponsored links

PAL games runs at 50fps and NTSC at 60fps
Emulation is different to PC games.
PS2 games are pre-rendered at either 50 or 60 depending on PAL or NTSC, so if you're only capabale of rendering them at say, 50% of that, you're getting half of the pre-rendered speed.

That's not 100% correct, but I'm tired and it makes sense XD.
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.
(05-21-2009, 11:36 PM)Sythedragon Wrote: Emulation is different to PC games.
PS2 games are pre-rendered at either 50 or 60 depending on PAL or NTSC, so if you're only capabale of rendering them at say, 50% of that, you're getting half of the pre-rendered speed.

Hum, that is frustrating, but there is a way to drop frames and prevent rendering while emulating 60fps. Isn't that what Frame Skip and VUSkip do? I just want to control it more exactly through the CPU Detailed settings.
(05-21-2009, 11:59 PM)czerro Wrote:
(05-21-2009, 11:36 PM)Sythedragon Wrote: Emulation is different to PC games.

Hum, that is frustrating, but there is a way to drop frames and prevent rendering while emulating 60fps. Isn't that what Frame Skip and VUSkip do? I just want to control it more exactly through the CPU Detailed settings.

Yes, but it'll lead to very lack luster experience in my opinion.

I just play with what I can, I'm able to get 50+ FPS in anything I want to play at 1080p, otherwise I leave it on the PS2, as it's pointless playing games at 40 FPS (60%) in my opinion.
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.
(05-21-2009, 11:36 PM)Sythedragon Wrote: Yes, but it'll lead to very lack luster experience in my opinion.

I just play with what I can, I'm able to get 50+ FPS in anything I want to play at 1080p, otherwise I leave it on the PS2, as it's pointless playing games at 40 FPS (60%) in my opinion.

Apologies if I seem very thick headed, but...the cpu detail settings seem to be designed to allow me to drop x number of frames per rendered frames. The only reason to do this would be to allow a game to run realtime on a rig that cannot render 60fps. So if I can run a game at 30fps (50% game speed), why can I not instruct pcsx2 to drop every other frame, while reporting a rendered frame to the emulated engine? Is this functionality broken?
That's not what the CPU frame limiter is for. Setting it to a custom limit like 30 will cap the emulator to only being allowed to render 30 frames per second, which means you will be running it at half speed. The only way to get the emulator to skip frames like you seem to want is to use some of the speed hacks and frame skipping.
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
(05-23-2009, 06:41 AM)czerro Wrote:
(05-21-2009, 11:36 PM)Sythedragon Wrote: Yes, but it'll lead to very lack luster experience in my opinion.

Apologies if I seem very thick headed, but...the cpu detail settings seem to be designed to allow me to drop x number of frames per rendered frames. The only reason to do this would be to allow a game to run realtime on a rig that cannot render 60fps. So if I can run a game at 30fps (50% game speed), why can I not instruct pcsx2 to drop every other frame, while reporting a rendered frame to the emulated engine? Is this functionality broken?

You can't really just 'drop' a frame because the calculations still need to be done. The real cost of emulation is in the main code, not the graphics.
It gets technical and complicated, but the gist is that you still have to do the 'drawing' because parts of the system rely on certain things to be done every frame. The various speedhacks and skipping options are the developer's attempts to get around this with clever manipulation of the system, but it isn't perfect.

For example, you could implement a naive solution and not render every other frame. This doesn't save you a whole lot of time unless the major slowdown is in the graphics subsystem, when in reality the slowdown is in the main unit generating the graphical instructions. You can't 'skip' this stuff because it's very hard/impossible to separate needed calculations (like physics) from purely decorative ones (calculating screen position from the physics calculation).

This isn't technically accurate nor a very good analogy (lol) but the point is the same. The speedhacks and skipping options are complicated because it's a complicated subject, just trust that the developers know what they are doing and it'll all be ok Laugh
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi